Thread: Bell target score, & daft question

Bell target score, & daft question

This is one of those ' how long is a piece of string?" type of questions, but here goes.

Oh & I'm thinking about pre war springers with open or apperture sights, but please say which, with 6 shot averages at 6yds, standard bell target.

What sort of scores do people get bell shooting? ( told you it was a daft question) with varriabilities in scores being down to peoples experience, ability, skill,nerves, equipment,lighting & a whole host of reasons obviously there will be differences. The NSRA did marksman catagory badges dependent on scores to classify shooters, marksman, expert etc. but I don't think bell target shooters have that sort of categorisation. It's probably not easy to quantify as a novice might be a novice to bell targets yet an experienced shot in another discipline but I wondered if it's possible to get an idea of what a beginner to the sport might realistically expect to get & how that might compare to an average club shooter, a good club shooter & a top class shooter..

I logged all my pistol scores & watched the little graphs meander across the page with the scores out of 100 climb, dip, plateau & make interesting patterns before pretty much levelling off if I did my bit & just wondered if any bell target shooters might be able to give me an idea of how their scores are going with time & experience please. Even if you just tried it a couple of times,

I'd be very interested to hear how it's going,

Thank you
    Last edited by trajectory; 06-10-2022 at 07:21 AM.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Our weekly scores are all on here....

https://www.nbbelltarget.club/NBBTC-Scores/

They are broken down by Vintage (Pre 1939 with open sights), modern (anything else), and pistol.

We shoot 8 shots per round, score 5 for the inner ring, and 0.1 additional for no visible centre pip,

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Thanks Dave, 8 shots per round sounds a little unusual, how did it come about? Looks like you have some very skilful shooters at the club though so it must be working,
    Cheers

This is from WARL. Wolverhampton Air Rifle League. We currently shoot 8 shots, recently revised from our historical 6 shot string. At my own club Hawkins A R C. We hold ''vintage nights'' occasionally pre WWII being accepted. Scores vary wildly with gun variation plus shooters ability; etc
    From a 6 shot string with a clear shot being 5.1 from memory average would be 26 //27. Scores lower than this outweigh better ones. We have had the occasional 30+, very occasional. As you say it's almost the piece of string question, other clubs with more regular old gun nights actually put in scores well above ours. It would be amazing if someone turned up a pre war club score book, to see what was achieved back then, when guns were newer and possibly a little better, with the shooters being used to them rather than us today using recoilless in the main and just shooting these beautiful guns on the odd accasion.
    Will be interesting if this thread continues with more users adding info.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Thanks Dave, 8 shots per round sounds a little unusual, how did it come about? Looks like you have some very skilful shooters at the club though so it must be working,
    Cheers
    Sorry, completely missed your question. I visited Uttoxeter Bell target. This was their approach, so that's what I went with.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Sorry, completely missed your question. I visited Uttoxeter Bell target. This was their approach, so that's what I went with.

Dave
    No need to apologise, thanks for your reply, I was just having a look around at the forum & saw it just now.
    Cheers

edbear2 Guest
    Our league is open sights / full power 5 scored for a bell down to zero for an outer, top teams average 22+ per shooter (we are running 8 man teams this year instead of 10).

Guns are mostly HW's / Tx's and a few odds and ends, loads of Venom and other stuff, also guns get used for hunting or HFT as well by some guys, power is set at max 11.5 and tested and logged with a sticker to the action.

Venues are often noisy pubs and halls with all sorts of distractions, target is 6 yards and I think an 8mm hole (will check).

2 sighters then 5 shots, target reset / repainted by scorer between each shot.

A few guys are good enough to get a few "possibles" (25's) each season, one lad in particular normally gets 23 or 24 each week.

The actual average further down the teams can be much less, but in the top half you expect to get at least a couple of 5's each week.

In our team so far the top averages are 22.6 then 22.2 then 22, I think we may be 4th in the league, so I expect the top league guy will be 23's average, pretty good if you think about it as just open sights, no diopters or aids at all allowed, and most have a brew or two to steady the nerves.

Matches often are decided on the last shot, so loads of pressure on the tail end guy!

We do a league average award and each shooter over a baseline gets an enamel badge with hangers (used to be an average wooden trophy but they changed it), you get a cup for a possible, do it again and get another.

My P.B. season average is 21.75, so nearly 22 over 22 or so matches from Sept to March, which is the season.

Some idea of the venues and lighting issues which make every match different;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...57631530525209

Attached some of the ones I have managed to nab, if your team or you win one of the big historic shields, you have to hand it back at the next season end, so some of these are small cups for say the over 50's or over 60's I won in the past (the Lord Roberts plate is just an antique, not a trophy).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...posted-public/

ATB, ED
    Last edited by edbear2; 23-11-2022 at 07:05 AM.

Sean Peacock shot our best group tonight.....

20221122_190748.jpg

The odd one was the last of eight and granted a ceremonious F!

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Great info on this old sport, thans for sharing it. It's not an easy thing to do at the best if times but with a bit of noise, a change of venue, nerves & excitement it's a real test of concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Sean Peacock shot our best group tonight.....

20221122_190748.jpg

The odd one was the last of eight and granted a ceremonious F!

Dave

Hope he put that pound in the swear box.........mind you, I think I still owe it a pound.