Thread: Lead bonanza!

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Lead bonanza!

Normally I scrounge my lead from the range. This is free, but it means I have to carry it back to the car (I already have many guns to carry) and then dry it, pick out the lumps, melt it while sifting out more crap before making pretty ingots.
    This is good for about 6kg yield from a 10kg bag whenever I do it.

Last week I thought I'd try a different tack: I put a wanted ad in a local ex-pats google group. From three responses I got just over 200kg of lead in exchange for a bottle of wine, €20 and a promise to take a woman's husband shooting one day.

This will last quite a while, even with Pedantic Harry added to the stable ("...... seeing as this is a .44 magnum, currently the worlds most powerful commercially available handgun") but I think another wanted ad every few months should see me past any troublesome bans

And then you find out how much the tin and antimony to harden it cost. Please don't shoot pure lead bullets in your 44 at normal pistol velocities or you will lead the barrel.

If you get a riddle, you can separate most of the rubbish and dirt at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    And then you find out how much the tin and antimony to harden it cost. Please don't shoot pure lead bullets in your 44 at normal pistol velocities or you will lead the barrel.

If you get a riddle, you can separate most of the rubbish and dirt at the range.
    Define "normal"

If that's the metallic layer on top then I put in some wax and stir it back in periodically. I can just about leave a fine mark on the nose with my thumbnail

I've been casting and shooting lead bullets for well over 50 years, and have experimented with lead hardness from pure soft to case hardened linotype metal dropped in cold water from the mould. These would shatter when they hit metal. The only time I have ever seen barrel leading was when I shot under size bullets and the rifling just striped the bullet rather than spin it.

I've driven .357 bullets up to around 2000fps with med soft lead and still not had an issue. I find that mixing pure lead with a handful of range lead will harden it up plenty enough for quite hot handgun loads. Elmer Keith reckoned on a bullet hardness of around 12 (0 soft 20 hard) for his 44 mag loads.

Bullet base upset is a fascinating science in its own right which needs soft lead to work. (from ingot to target)
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

How will the EU ban on lead in all civilian ammunition affect you?
    They also want to licence lead so the public would not be able to possess it either.

FACE may delay it or even get it stopped but here in the UK the Government is using the HSE as smokescreen to introduce the same legislation.
    We may have a situation where Europe continues as it does now and we will face big changes.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    They also want to licence lead so the public would not be able to possess it either.

FACE may delay it or even get it stopped but here in the UK the Government is using the HSE as smokescreen to introduce the same legislation.
    We may have a situation where Europe continues as it does now and we will face big changes.
    Hopefully, it'll not affect range use much, if at all. There's talk about if a significant proportion of the lead can be recovered target shooting may be exempt.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post

They are saying it won't effect range use, (we have lead catchers already, which is where I collect from) , who wil check my home range anyway? and the chasse laws here are sacrosanct, so I don't see that changing quickly either.

I expect ball trap will go lead free quite quickly though

I can't imagine the French taking any notice if they disagree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    I can't imagine the French taking any notice if they disagree with it.

Granted, they are ahead in the "backbone" department, but if factory ammo changes it will be a change for most

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Granted, they are ahead in the "backbone" department, but if factory ammo changes it will be a change for most
    From what I can see on the net factory ammo is being made without a lead core but it only seems to be in popular calibres. It appears that the likes of military rifles and other out of date calibres may be rendered useless unless the ammo for them is made at a later date if demand warrants it.