Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shot a FWB sport 127 earlier.

FWB Sport

That reminds me, must get my vmach FWB mk4 out to shot. Mach 1.5

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Sorry, just seen this, I'm using a PC to test, don't use a smart phone
    It went through on my PC, he doesn't do much at all really.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Don't let that put you off, Pete.
    My 124 doesn't have the most refined manners and as has already been mentioned, the trigger unit is never going to worry a HW/CD etc unit.
    There are a few points of wear to look out for but they're simple rifles to work on and can be made very nice to shoot. The barrels are also something else ( providing they've not been hacked off at the muzzle ).
    But I'll happily take a bit of a bark on firing and a trigger that isn't exactly match quality when a forty odd year old rifle will do five shot groups like this at thirty yards:

Awesome! Sorry no comment earlier, I couldn't see the images on the old i-Pad.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Never been a big fan of the Fwb sports in terms of quality and engineering they just not in the same class as HW springers.

Dave.

Replace my fwb 124 spring and guide for a Welsh Willy kit and it complete changed the rifle now much smoother and less recoil, incredibly accurate

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    Never been a big fan of the Fwb sports in terms of quality and engineering they just not in the same weight class as HW springers.

Dave.
    Changed it for you.

I was looking for a new rifle in 1980. Something better and more accurate than the Webley MKIII. I chose the FWB Sport 124.
    HW35E was heavier, more expensive, and came with a list of potential issues. There is nothing sporting about a 81/2lbs rifle, 9lbs with scope, for a young lad. Heck, an HW35E for all its weight didn't do 12ft/lbs in .177 without tuning.

Pre 1980 then quality and finish was high in the better rifles; basically old fashioned quality. HW, BSF, Webley, and BSA could make a lovely quality rifle. Dated designs, leather piston seals, lack of sophistication of the triggers, and pellet quality, were what had to be dealt with for they all struggled to get beyond farmyard ranges.
    Probably getting the HW35E to do what it should was the reason that tuning took off in such a huge way. It had a great trigger, but the rest, though built well enough, was wanting. Webley brought out the Webley Vulcan MK1 which was modern in so many ways, and half the price of a HW35. It just had a horrid trigger. So where was the progress to be found?
    The Original 45 found it, but its weight was between an HW and a Sport. It was very much a "man sized" rifle.

HW response was the HW77 and 80. But those two are heavy; too heavy for a young "lads" rifle. The rest is history.

What is interesting is that it seems that it is hard to produce a well behaved springer without it being 81/2lbs or more. Air Arms produce some of the best springers ever done, but non are light weight, Sport's weight. No light weight HW behaves well either. Again the HW95 should be great but somehow isn't.
    Basically no one has done a FWB Sport better than the original; which why it remains so loved. Time doesn't improve the indifferent trigger, but they still can shoot. Well, they can with a service which isn't bad as they are all 30 to 40 years old.
    Last edited by Muskett; 17-10-2022 at 09:38 PM.

Sport

Got 2 one each cal..22 is a venom tuned moderated which needed new mainseal but shoots ok. The 124 was mint as new but shot like a dog .I too wondered what the all the chatter once was about as I thought it was terrible bone shaker.
    Was given to mr pope who did quite a awesome job including adding a piston weight to reduce spring length too.
    Wow it was fantastic after.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    What is interesting is that it seems that it is hard to produce a well behaved springer without it being 81/2lbs or more. Air Arms produce some of the best springers ever done, but non are light weight, Spot's weight. No light weight HW behaves well either. Again the HW95 should be great but somehow isn't.
    Basically no one has done a FWB Sport better than the original; which why it remains so loved. Time doesn't improve the indifferent trigger, but they still can shoot. Well, they can with a service which isn't bad as they are all 30 to 40 years old.
    A short stroked HW95 is pretty much on the money, or a sorted HW99. But generally I agree with your point.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    A short stroked HW95 is pretty much on the money, or a sorted HW99. But generally I agree with your point.
    So nothing out of the factory box?

I have a fully Steve Pope tuned HW95 .177. It's as accurate as any of my Sports, and smoother. Its still fidgety, and takes little to not put the pellet on pellet. Cheek-weld pressure seems to be a critical factor, to an annoying level in the field. I'll have to practice more, even more than is needed with a Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Thanks for this. Sadly the links are dead for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Don't let that put you off, Pete.
    My 124 doesn't have the most refined manners and as has already been mentioned, the trigger unit is never going to worry a HW/CD etc unit.
    There are a few points of wear to look out for but they're simple rifles to work on and can be made very nice to shoot. The barrels are also something else ( providing they've not been hacked off at the muzzle ).
    But I'll happily take a bit of a bark on firing and a trigger that isn't exactly match quality when a forty odd year old rifle will do five shot groups like this at thirty yards:

Well if that came from our stash you've ruined the fun!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    So what you are all saying is after a fettle they are alright but not as good as a Weihrauch?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    So what you are all saying is after a fettle they are alright but not as good as a Weihrauch?

Pete
    Different strokes for different folks?
    Too many airguns!

Are any spring rifles any good without a fettle or weighing in at heavy weight?

Weihrauch hasn't ever done anything "better" out of the box, sporting rifle wise, than the FWB Sport. Their HW95 is the closest and still needs works. Doesn't handle as well, and a tad more fidgety. Recent made HW's don't have the depth of bluing as a Sport either. Non are as good looking either.

Of the Weihrauch's then many might argue that their best springer effort remains the HW77.
    For a really good modern springer then its Air Arms.
    But they ain't a sleek Sport.

Most people don't shoot sporting air rifles in the field any more. They use target rifles, which is different way of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Of the Weihrauch's then many might argue that their best springer effort remains the HW77
    I have one of those as well
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177