Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shot a FWB sport 127 earlier.

Despite its light weight, the FWB124 was the go-to rifle in early FT, only supplanted by the HW77 from 1984.

That tells you something about how good they were/are.

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    The FWB124 is capable of suprisingly good accuracy considering its lightness and a good technique is needed to get the performance out of it. For a number of years it was my successful FT rig before a HW77 I won took over. Check breech seal and internals. Mine was shooting very consistantly until it dropped power the internal piston seal looked a bit like crumbly cheese without the flavour. Still use it from time to time.
    HERX77
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Shot a FWB sport 127 earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Are any spring rifles any good without a fettle or weighing in at heavy weight?

Weihrauch hasn't ever done anything "better" out of the box, sporting rifle wise, than the FWB Sport. Their HW95 is the closest and still needs works. Doesn't handle as well, and a tad more fidgety. Recent made HW's don't have the depth of bluing as a Sport either. Non are as good looking either.

Of the Weihrauch's then many might argue that their best springer effort remains the HW77.
    For a really good modern springer then its Air Arms.
    But they ain't a sleek Sport.

Most people don't shoot sporting air rifles in the field any more. They use target rifles, which is different way of shooting.
    I think the 50s (99)i have is easily as accurate as the sport i had & a hell of a lot easier to be accurate with. I shot both now & again, the difference was i'd need a half hour practice with the sport before i could get good groups, the hw hits first time . I disagree about pre 80's bsa rifles too, most of the 70's airsporters i shot were terrible. The sports stock fit me better than the hw 50s though & it was sexier to look at but looks ain't everything if only they had put a trigger in a tenth as good as their match guns had it'd have wiped the floor with HW.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I think the 50s (99)i have is easily as accurate as the sport i had & a hell of a lot easier to be accurate with......
    Yup, the 99/50 is the easiest too shoot springer right out of the box.
    It is easy to agree that the Sport is better made than most other sporting springers, but there are several details that works better on the HWs (barrel lockup, trigger, disassembly etc), plus I've nevere been able to shoot the Sports as well as some other guns.
    Too many airguns!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Yup, the 99/50 is the easiest too shoot springer right out of the box..
    Yup, I'd agree with that too...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Original 45!

Just to throw another spanner into the works, the big competitor at the time to the FWB Sport was the Original 45. It matched the FWB for power and accuracy. It was heavier, granted, but the lock-up mechanism was more secure which, over the longer term - after wear and tear - provided it with an advantage. It was a little cheaper at the time, too. To be fair, I would be hard pressed to make a choice from the two. The trigger on both could be mastered but the TO1 was a good, double pull, which I found straightforward.

At the time, pellet choice was much poorer than today but I found the old Silver Jet pellets worked really well with the 45, 177. Alas, those pellets have since ceased but there are now others in their place.

Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    At the time, pellet choice was much poorer than today but I found the old Silver Jet pellets worked really well with the 45, 177. Alas, those pellets have since ceased but there are now others in their place
    I did as well in 127 in .22
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177