Thread: Hi from Sweden!

Hi from Sweden!

Hi!
    My name is Anders and I am a pneumohoplomaniac if that's s real word. I hoard air rifles.

I think however I'm becoming a collector proper. I just don't buy air rifles reflexively anymore but because they relate to one I already own.

I bought a Falke 90 because it was by far the best Airsporter I'd ever seen and I got a Milbro S70M79 because it was the final evolution of my Diana 27.

So I've come to educate myself on british air rifles and maybe find some spares for the Milbro.

welcome to this great forum

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    It's a word now, welcome.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Welcome Anders.
    Just out of interest, what are airgun laws like in Sweden?

Thank you!
    Very good to be here.

The law here says 18 yo to buy or possess an air weapon, power limit is 10J (7 ftlb) 4m from the muzzle without an gun license. Rifle and pistol have the same limit.

The weird part with the 4m rule comes from the Swedish Forensic Laboratory who had their chrono mounted at 4m because it couldn't cope with the muzzle blast of powder burners.

Strange but true.

This also means that we also have a national class in Field Target, besides 12ftlb and unlimited, for our 10J rifles.

Hunting with an air rifle was prohibited until a couple of years ago, the law now recognise two ways to get a weapon license for hunting.

The first is simply for the rifle to match the power levels of powder rifles for the type of game you're hunting. That would be 150J (110 ftlb) for class 4 game .
    This would be most of the game you're hunting with air in Britain, like rats, doves, magpies, rabbits etc.

Not really a good solution as only big bore air rifles can get that kind of power and a .50 slug is kind of wasted on a thrush.

The second path is a single paragraph concerning elimination of pests. An air rifle may be used for pesting provided it's .22 and has a muzzle velocity above 180 mps.

Being older gives me a bit of an advantage, before 1992 the limit for license free guns was a velocity below 200mps regardless of caliber, the Theoben Eliminator in .25 was quite popular, and current owners were grandfathered by the new law.

So I still l have a couple of rifles that exceed 10J by quite a bit, an AA Bora f.ex.
    Can't sell them without de-tuning though.
    Can't hunt with them either as you can't hunt with an unlicensed weapon.

Ja, hej å välkommen
    Själv bor jag i Göteborg.

Hej Jesper!
    Inte så oväntat att hitta dig här också :P