Thread: Stoeger v's Weihrauch

Stoeger v's Weihrauch

I'm considering getting a low power springer for 5/10yd plinking & ratting. Easy to cock & lack of recoil. I've narrowed it down to Stoeger X3-TAC maybe RX5 or Weihrauch HW30. It won't be getting much use & thinking also of resale value plus ease of sale in a few years time. My first choice was the HW but looking online for price / local availability I spotted the Stoegers at half the price. Are the Stoegers worth considering ??
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Cry once!

Get the HW30s it will put a smile on your face.

Are you considering the HW30 or the HW30S?

Having got an HW30S, and being mightily impressed, my choice would be that. Further, I have one sold to the UK market and one to the German market; I’d go for the German market gun - same power with nicer recoil, and has the interchangeable foresight elements.

One thing to consider is size. With the X3-tac’s length of pull being 11.75” you may find it a little cramped. Whereas the HW30’s length of pull is 14” and the RX5 is 14.25”.
    Last edited by zephyr; 06-11-2022 at 06:19 AM.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I can't believe I'm saying this, it has to be the HW30s, I bought a standard length 30s for my girlfriend and have to say how nice they are after a little fettle, I was in John Knibbs recently and they had another version without the open sights (and no mounting holes) and a shorter barrel (imagine a mini HW95), it looked and handled even better, although it's already a small rifle, I was very tempted to buy another just for me.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

The 30s every day of the week, and that's speaking from experience of having a small collection of these lovely little rifles.

Even though they are sold as a junior or starter rifle, the length of pull is really leaning towards average/small adult so pretty much everyone can get on with them and if tradition does not float your boat then there is also a synthetic "K", "Carbine", or "Kit" version to be had but these could be harder to find.

You'll probably shoot it much more than you think and they are a perfect short to mid distance ratting gun, I do know

I rate these fantastic rifles, I really do.

My preference was the HW but the price of the Stoegers did make me wonder. Only consideration now is the 30s or 30s kit with scope, shorter barrel & no open sights. It's certainly pays to ask daft questions, I thought the kit was just the basic same rifle plus a scope.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Hw30 all day long mate you can get some bargains on them second hand too, iirc mine cost me sixty quid. After fitting a tuning kit a barrel weight and a record trigger unit I had lying around it takes some beating and stands me at very little money

Take a look at the Cometa range too, lifetime warranty is nice

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

1950s through 1980s German Diana 25 or 27?

The 30k is fantastic, though I junked the scope for a Simmons 1.5-5x20 - which suits it perfectly. I got the .177 cos that's what the RFD had in stock; I normally don't like .177 springers, but this is a joy to shoot.
    By-the-by, re the size/LOP thing - I'm 6' 2" with arms almost the same length but still find the rifle easy to shoot.

Yep - the UK 30S package confused me when I got mine, as the barrel is marked 30K. The weight unscrews to reveal a standard UNF thread, and the Weihrauch brand scope is fine for fun plinking. The breech block isn't tapped on the 30K for sights, nor is the muzzle dovetailed, so the 30K gun/30S package in UK form is scope-only. But it is a lot of fun and big enough to be nicely manageable. Mine is also .177 - at this power I wouldn't really want .22.

Another vote for the HW30S. Lovely little quality rifle with more than enough super-positive attributes to deliver seasoned shooters, and not just beginners, long term pride of ownership, spares back-up, resale values etc. Sublime firing manners and the fine Rekord trigger combine to deliver superb accuracy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Some good info & interesting reading regarding the HW30 range, much more than expected, thanks all.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Yep - HW 30 lovely plinker and ok as a close range ratter. One of my favourite springers and, for garden shooting, all you could need.

6-7 fpe in .177 and a bit more in .22 and very accurate out to 40ish yards. I would recommend getting one with open sights - they are fun to shoot with opens or a peep sight.
    They may need a galling fix is the only blot...