Thread: Shotgun reloading

Shotgun reloading

I’m thinking of getting into shotgun reloading just due to the cost of ammo. I already reload for rifles, what’s the best basic kit for getting started? Cheers

Depends really on your budget, and what gauge you want to load.

Years ago I borrowed a friends Lee Load-All 11 @ about £80-90 these days. It worked fine, and was cheap (about £45 back then). Commonly available for 12, 16 & 20g

Personally I use MEC 600 Jr Mk5 (got mine from Clay and Game) and have done so for about the last 10 years. Not routinely used it for 12ga clay loads (I have 12, 20 and .410 MEC variants) as until recently prices for 12g clay loads were bearable. Used it to help load 12g black powder loads as well (though you don't want to put BP through these). That said, given the possible impact of non-toxic load requirements, they may be an idea generally. I have a universal charge bar for the 12g version, but see they are unfortunately not available any more...?

Reloading

Lee is Ok but I find it difficult to get a good consistent crimp. I roll crimp on my bench drill. The MEC is a much better tool but not advised for the black powder I load. Folkstone engineering is the place to go for supplies and a very nice guy.
    Also work out the cost very carefully.
    Last edited by Peter Dunkley; 14-11-2022 at 06:46 PM.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Lee is Ok but I find it difficult to get a good consistent crimp. I roll crimp on my bench drill...
    Quite. from what I remember, it was not great on new cases, but closed up recycled ones ok. I also upgraded the crimp starter on the MECs to a Ballistic Products one. I reserve the roll turnover for the rare occasion I load paper cases

Marginal savings if at all loading your own.
    Buy in bulk where possible.
    The shot is usually the expensive bit.
    If you can make your own shot you can save a bundle.
    I do go past Gretna occasionally and I have several thousand primers I need to move on.
    I did have a Dillon SL900 fully intending to churn out 29gm sixes but it was a real faff.