Thread: anybody used Meyton electronic targets ?

anybody used Meyton electronic targets ?

Has anybody any experience with the Meyton electronic targets for 10m air pistol / rifle ?

Yes and Megalink

Rutty

My club have Meyton but they have never been used, im using the pellet traps with paper targets and im wondering if its worth getting the electronics set up.
    Im fairly sure we have all the parts just need to work out how it all goes together.
    Are they worth using for practice ?, just not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidboy1 View Post
    My club have Meyton but they have never been used, im using the pellet traps with paper targets and im wondering if its worth getting the electronics set up.
    Im fairly sure we have all the parts just need to work out how it all goes together.
    Are they worth using for practice ?, just not sure if it's worth the hassle.
    I'm sorry, but I cannot understand what your question is. EST represent a considerable capital investment, so why is your club not using them? You mention using them for "practice", you may shoot leagues on them as well subject to observing the relevant NSRA Rules:

1.10.9.1-3
    7.4.8.1-10
    7.4.11.1-3

and Accuracy Checking Procedures

Rutty

Rutty

My club purchased 20 Meyton electronic targets a few years ago, 16 for the ISSF prone rifle range and 4 for air pistol.
    The ISSF prone shooting is pretty much dead so only 3 or 4 are being used, the air pistol targets have never been used, i set 2 up recently just using the pellet traps and paper targets to air pistol running again.
    I was told the electronic targets are delicate and can be damaged especially by stray shots so im not sure if it's sensible to use them but at same time we have them so its a terrible waste not to use them.
    We only have a couple of air pistol shooters but about a dozen decent air pistols and a dozen decent air rifles in the club safe so im trying to get the thing up and running but obviously starting out the shots will be all over the place and i don't want to damage the electronic targets.
    Im just looking for feedback for anybody who uses them to see if they are worth using or best left alone.
    For what little we do and until we have shooters reaching a certain level they might be more hassle than they are worth.
    Might be a better idea to sell them while they are "as new" and get some money back if they are not going to be used.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Meyton

Like Rutty I was a bit surprised by your post, i suspect you are not very experienced, but the simple answer is they are great, just USE THEM!

They are not fragile or vulnerable to damage, they have protective plates, and are as close to idiot proof as is practical. I'm aware of continental clubs that just have these for all use, and are used by all, beginners to experts, you have the probably the perfect target system!

They are not difficult to set up and there are also those who will offer technical help should you need it, I'm sure they are reading this now with the same amazement as the rest of us, that you just have them sat unused. You simply have the perfect target set up at hand (as Rutty says, a large investment), one that most of us would love to have in our clubs, and they are not used!

Or, you could just donate them to us, and save the storage space!

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I have zero experience with the electronic targets, i shot for years with paper targets and target changers which was absolutely fine for what the club did at the time.
    We had a mix of club shooters and we also had the local pony club using them at the weekend so low tech and idiot proof was a good thing.

Basically the club bought the Meyton targets and started to completely overhaul the range, the 50m prone range is up and running with a new concrete wall around it and covered targets, nice job BUT there is very little interest in prone rifle now and its not really being used, some members are considering trying to reconfigure some of those targets for benchrest as that is more popular now.

The air pistol targets have never been used because part of the overhaul resulted in the air pistol / rifle range being ripped out and it has been a building site for the last three or four years.

Best i could do was hassle the committee for a year to allow me to set up a temporary range in the loft but its very cramped and only two lanes with the low sloped ceiling, but better than nothing.

The guys who bought the electronic targets and started the work seem to have lost interest, the entire project has stalled and its now all down to bickering and blame.
    They are prone shooters so the air pistol range is very low (zero) priority to them.

Prices have increased and funding to finish the building work is no longer available so im not sure the original plan is viable.
    Im just trying to salvage the air pistol / air rifle side of it.
    I think paper and target changers are the best way forward for us but if there is an argument for electronics then i would like to know what the benefits are.
    Last edited by rapidboy1; 20-11-2022 at 12:38 PM.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

meytons

Pro's and cons?

With a low roof, it will save struggling to walk to the target.

You won't spend on paper targets.

It saves change over times, and gets more shooting time with out running in details.

Safer, as no one goes forward.

The only down side to electronics is the cost, and you have them, so that is negated!

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thank you, Is the idea of electronics just to replace paper or is there any additional useful data generated ?

I call and spot my shots with a spotting scope and having that on a screen would be nice but the spotting scope is fine.
    Afterwards i use the targetscan app, only started recently but thats proving to be a useful tool.

I understand that the electronics allow you to print out something afterwards, is that just a shot card or are there any stats ?

Thank you, Is the idea of electronics just to replace paper or is there any additional useful data generated ?

I call and spot my shots with a spotting scope and having that on a screen would be nice but the spotting scope is fine.
    Afterwards i use the targetscan app, only started recently but thats proving to be a useful tool.

I understand that the electronics allow you to print out something afterwards, is that just a shot card or are there any stats ?
    The fact that you shoot at a "black hole" rather than a "black dot" is of little importance. EST are a completely different way of doing business compared with paper. You install a sytem, not a series of individual lanes; you may choose to do that but you will lose many of the features of the system. The printouts contain a great deal of information, useful at an individual level. The software is capable of automating much of the administration associated with leagues and competitions; e.g. we give shooters a barcode for each competion they have entered. Get it scanned by the RO and off you go.

There is no need for estimating, gauging or waiting to find out your score, it's all there. It's also on a screen in the clubroom as you shoot, that increases engagement and it's the kind of access to information that the present generation expect.

For a bit more information, read Club Corner in the Spring 2022 edition of On Target.

EST are much more than something different to shoot at.

Rutty

Thank you, if we decide they are not for us what sort of value do they have ?

Thank you, if we decide they are not for us what sort of value do they have ?
    You need to specify exactly what model they are, their configuration and what ancillaries included; e.g. monitors, keypads, software package etc.

Given that they are/will be 4 years old, out of guarantee and without software; your software license will have been utilised for your part fitted 50m facility; anything you achieve over 30% of current retail price will be a bonus.

Value is only what a buyer is prepared to pay.

Rutty

Thank you, im not sure what model they are, we are only using a couple of the pellet traps and stands at the minute, the other kit is all locked away.

I was speaking to one of the prone shooters yesterday and he is going to see if somebody can maybe set one up for us, be interesting to try it.