Thread: Nostalgia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The only rifles I'd consider now, from my youth, were ones I couldn't afford back then, like the FWB300SU, I've just bought.

What I could afford in the early 80's was pretty bad then, and it's no better now. Though if spares were a bit less problematical, I'd most likely add an ace and an innova to my small collection
    B.A.S.C. member

I've got a fantastic example of a BSA Mercury Challenger (boxed like new) which was my first air rifle when I was 14 and I remember really wanting one (after being shot by one; long story). This isn't the original but I acquired it after a long wait 10-12 years ago or so.

I sold my Challenger a 14/15 year old to fund the next rifle which for the life of me I couldn't be sure of but I reckon it was either the AA Firepower or ASI Paratrooper repeater. I bought another Firepower a few years ago. The magazine was as I remembered after my first missfire. Knowing what I know know I chose to shoot it without the magazine fitted to save the internals any more trauma than really necessary. That was sold a year or two ago to reduce the collection and it was the only rifle I couldn't justify. Justify, there's a funny one. I'm currently in the process of acquiring a ASI Paratrooper repeater. The justification for this is nostalgia but in .177. The Challenger is .22. The Firepower was also .22 and therefore surplus to requirements when having to justify the collection!

I have to be careful with the nostalgia because like many on here (I dare say) I've had more airguns than hot dinners. My current collection was (WAS) my self imposed limit:
    Steyr Challenger - HFT
    HW97 - FT recoiling
    AA Pro Target - FT vintage (with old Bushnell 8-32x40 AO)
    Anschutz 9015 - FT
    Anschutz 2002 - SSP 10m rifle
    Walther LP500 - 10m pistol
    BSA Mercury Challenger - NOSTALGIA (in .22)
    Maybe an ASI Para repeater to add for nostalgia in .177 rapid tin can bustin!

The only other one I'd add would be a very good boxed example of a early HW45 in .22 as of all the early guns the ones I remember the most fondly are the 45, Challenger and Paratrooper repeater.

I actually had the GAT before the Challenger, but I don't really count it, and don't want one now either. I had a ASI Magnum for some time, no idea why or how that came to be. The Brocock fox was memorable but can't have it now anyway and so the list goes on...
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500