Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nostalgia

A few years ago I went mad I bought really good examples of every air rifle I had lusted over as a youth. 37, maybe more, rifles later
    I've sold all but a few now.
    Most really weren't as "great" as I wanted them to be, or as AGW/AG had suggested.
    My nostalgia bubble was truly popped. Maybe it would have been better to have never known anything better.

However, I have kept a choice few
    The best of the bunch are still good rifles. Tuned and fettled with even better.
    Some were never more than plinkers, and in truth are still great plinkers.

Just have fun with it all.

First air weapon I ever shot was my dads Diana 2 Pistol.
    First air rifle I owned was a HW35E, big long thing but it taught me a lot.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    First air weapon I ever shot was my dads Diana 2 Pistol.
    First air rifle I owned was a HW35E, big long thing but it taught me a lot.
    As a youngster that bloody hw35 breech lock cost me many a rabbit and squirrel. Still hate the things now

My very first rifle was a Relum 822 (basically a Telly Junior, but in .22?).I have no yearnings for another of those!

Then a Meteor Super. Might be tempted one day, but only if cheap.

The only rifle that I'd have again from my yesteryear days would be a FWB Sport I or II.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

A couple of FWB Sports I kept.
    A FWB Sport was my first good rifle; a 124.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    More Webleys (Brum ones)...but to be honest I haven't stopped buying them. My dad introduced me to airguns via his .22 Omega carbine and Senior pistol. Despite having acquired many multiples since, those 2 guns would be the last I'd ever part with.
    Sadly sold my Omega .22 c. 1985 my dad got me, bitterly regret it to this day! Loved it!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Wish I knew and kept the springer rifle my grandad had which I started shooting when I was 5, I honestly can't remember what it was, it was probably knackered inside as I used to blast ants on the patio when we had run out of pellets, the first rifle I bought myself was an Airsporter mk5 or 6, then I got into pistols and got Record Jumbo and then a HW45, I've obviously got the Airsporter now but I think I'll have to get the Jumbo one day.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

When I was five or six years old a 'grown up' cousin showed me how to shoot a little air rifle safely then gave it to me! Unfortunately he didn't give me any pellets as this was in 1943 or 44 & he couldn't spare any as they apparently weren't easily available. My Dad found out daisy (flower) heads would shoot quite well & I've fond memories of us both wiping out hordes of imaginary Germans while up a mountain when we were visiting a relative in North Wales.
    The actual barrel of this lethal weapon screwed into the end of the barrel/compression chamber & would also double as a pea shooter when used on its own.You removed it & put your 'round' into the end facing you, cocked the beast & carefully re-fitted the barrel. If you removed this part it would take a small cork to shoot in the recess at the end of the barrel.
    I've no idea what came of this, but my parents were quite happy to let me have it & play out with my pals with it.
    For some reason, a few months ago, I remembered all this &, overcome by nostalgia, got in touch with Tim Dyson & gave him a rather hazy description of my first air gun. He immediately knew what I was waffling on about & produced a couple!! It turned out to be a Diana Model 1 my cousin Jack had given me. The original was pre-war of course, but I'm now the proud owner of a 1950s Model 1 which is great fun to shoot, looks just as I remembered the gun I'd been given, surprisingly accurate for a kid's smoothbore at 10 yards & knocks empty beer can 'sausage eating swine' in a very satisfactory way.
    Who says that growing up is compulsary?

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    A shiny Gat gun...
    When I was at junior school in Cheltenham in the mid-80's, one of the Houses had what was little more than a broom cupboard with a dart board down the end and a single wall-mounted tin light (with lots of holes in it). If we asked the house master nicely (no funny comments) he'd produce a GAT pistol and pack of darts from his drawer; then there'd be a bunch of 10-13 year-olds trying to hit the bull from 10 foot away. It was safe enough by virtue of the fact the cupboard was only a doors-width wide, so barely enough room to turn round with an outstretched arm. Never heard of a fatal shot from a GAT thankfully.

I guess that'd no longer be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    My very first air rifle was a HW77', back in 1991. I managed to find a minter 77 dated approx 1989 about 6 years ago, so snapped it up.
    I bought a couple of HW77s off a mate in 1986, Dave.

The .22" one with a 4 X 40 Tasco scope cost me £20, the .177" one with 2.75 X 40 Tasco scope cost me £50, and he threw in a HW35 for free.

My mate couldn't get on with the .22" one so I stripped it and opened the transfer port which calmed it down --- this action now sits in a walnut Venom stock and its original stock is on my recoilless b2.

On the nostalgia kick, I've always wanted a Park RH91, I nearly bought the prototype once but it was a bit expensive just to sit and look at.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 23-11-2022 at 10:47 AM.

The only rifles I'd consider now, from my youth, were ones I couldn't afford back then, like the FWB300SU, I've just bought.

What I could afford in the early 80's was pretty bad then, and it's no better now. Though if spares were a bit less problematical, I'd most likely add an ace and an innova to my small collection
    B.A.S.C. member

I've got a fantastic example of a BSA Mercury Challenger (boxed like new) which was my first air rifle when I was 14 and I remember really wanting one (after being shot by one; long story). This isn't the original but I acquired it after a long wait 10-12 years ago or so.

I sold my Challenger a 14/15 year old to fund the next rifle which for the life of me I couldn't be sure of but I reckon it was either the AA Firepower or ASI Paratrooper repeater. I bought another Firepower a few years ago. The magazine was as I remembered after my first missfire. Knowing what I know know I chose to shoot it without the magazine fitted to save the internals any more trauma than really necessary. That was sold a year or two ago to reduce the collection and it was the only rifle I couldn't justify. Justify, there's a funny one. I'm currently in the process of acquiring a ASI Paratrooper repeater. The justification for this is nostalgia but in .177. The Challenger is .22. The Firepower was also .22 and therefore surplus to requirements when having to justify the collection!

I have to be careful with the nostalgia because like many on here (I dare say) I've had more airguns than hot dinners. My current collection was (WAS) my self imposed limit:
    Steyr Challenger - HFT
    HW97 - FT recoiling
    AA Pro Target - FT vintage (with old Bushnell 8-32x40 AO)
    Anschutz 9015 - FT
    Anschutz 2002 - SSP 10m rifle
    Walther LP500 - 10m pistol
    BSA Mercury Challenger - NOSTALGIA (in .22)
    Maybe an ASI Para repeater to add for nostalgia in .177 rapid tin can bustin!

The only other one I'd add would be a very good boxed example of a early HW45 in .22 as of all the early guns the ones I remember the most fondly are the 45, Challenger and Paratrooper repeater.

I actually had the GAT before the Challenger, but I don't really count it, and don't want one now either. I had a ASI Magnum for some time, no idea why or how that came to be. The Brocock fox was memorable but can't have it now anyway and so the list goes on...
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

I learnt to shoot with my brothers BSA meteor mk1.
    The first rifle I bought was a Daisy 822.
    I have both , Meteor has been restored.
    I swore I would never have another pumper. It comes out occasionally and think it's not that bad
    , 10 shots, then put it away again.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

First new was Meteor S .22 with Niko Stirling 4x20 scope, £14 1968, scope was £2.50-£4 <?>
    still got it in box with BSA Pylarm pellets in small metal screw top tube, metal target holder& targets
    First pistol was a GAT, sold on few months later when got 1950's Webkey Senior .22, from friends neighbour who had it from new, but prefered beer. Still have it too!
    Friend who got me into Airguns had rough BSA Cadet, I got an Immacultae BSA Cadet Major 25 yrs ago & couple reasonable Cadets which still have . Could have got basic Airsporter in1968, but shiny, Meteor S for similar money with cheek rest, rubber stock pad seemed more appealing 🤓
    1980's got Airsporter & Mercury .22 both immaculate 2nd hand, Added PAratrooper .177 repeater, few Crosman pump ups rifles/pistols & CO2 pistols / rifles when came off ticket.
    Few others when got chance to add to the collection. Mental note to thin out some of the collection, as not active target/vermin shooter anymore.

None lol...60's and 70's guns....they were all rubbish.
    Not particularly accurate reliable or powerful if I remember right.
    G80..bin.
    Worn tap MK3 Webley.. bin.
    Floppy barrelled Cadet Major,Tornado..bin.
    Wobbly barrelled Meteor..old Airsporter.etc...bin...lol
    Plus, you must use Beatall and Lanes ammo in them to get real nostalgia.
    Things didn't improve until my first HW35.
    I would be starting with the 35.
    Sacrilege but true.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin