Thread: Rarity of Webley Tempest brown grips

Rarity of Webley Tempest brown grips

I've just bought myself a Tempest as an impulsive early Christmas present, I've never had one myself but one of my mates Dad had one back in the day in .22 that sent beer cans skittling over the lawn and I've always wanted one.

A case of nostalgia, I guess.

Now that I idly peruse the net for information, I find that the brown grips were an extra and hence rare which threw me somewhat.

I always assumed that it was more or less random as I saw both types often enough, in fact a quick search on our local auction site shows seven Tempest being sold during the last two months, 5 brown and 2 black.

So, have I just invested in an heirloom gun that should only be shot once on Whitsunday or a common or garden Tempest that should be used and abused as it was meant to?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryde View Post
    I've just bought myself a Tempest as an impulsive early Christmas present, I've never had one myself but one of my mates Dad had one back in the day in .22 that sent beer cans skittling over the lawn and I've always wanted one.

Now that I idly peruse the net for information, I find that the brown grips were an extra and hence rare which threw me somewhat.

I always assumed that it was more or less random as I saw both types often enough, in fact a quick search on our local auction site shows seven Tempest being sold during the last two months, 5 brown and 2 black.

So, have I just invested in an heirloom gun that should only be shot once on Whitsunday or a common or garden Tempest that should be used and abused as it was meant to?
    Use it regularly and enjoy it. Maybe don't abuse it though...
    I may be wrong, but my understanding is the brown grips were popular/easily available on 1970's and 80's Webley pistols, then availability seemed to start to reduce through the late 1990's and they were mostly black (though adverts often had the nice brown grips still on). I'm not sure I ever saw a new Brown-grip pistol from the 2000's.

In fact, for example, not sure I've seen a Typhoon (the original ones, like the Hurricane - not the Hatsan-made thing) with black grips.
    Last edited by ashf9999; 22-11-2022 at 02:32 PM.

As I thought, then it will be shot often.

I bought the last few remaining pairs of brown Tempest/Hurricane grips from Webley in the nineties, and that only amounted to about four pairs, all of which went a while ago, so they will be quite scarce now unless someone has a few NOS examples kicking about.
    There were several different shades of 'brown' grips, some of which i wouldn't put on a gun, but the majority weren't too bad.

From memory, the brown grips were offered during the late 1980s and were not around for long, so examples are fairly scarce today. I'm not sure they attract that much of a premium though as there are still plenty of Tempests around, many in very good condition.

Personally I think Tempests should be worth more than the just over £100 that boxed examples seem to sell for but then I also remember them with rose tinted specs as the Tempest was the pistol I aspired to own ever since I saw one demonstrated in a Willesden second hand shop back in the day and back when such shops could still sell old airguns.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    From memory, the brown grips were offered during the late 1980s and were not around for long, so examples are fairly scarce today. I'm not sure they attract that much of a premium though as there are still plenty of Tempests around, many in very good condition.

Personally I think Tempests should be worth more than the just over £100 that boxed examples seem to sell for but then I also remember them with rose tinted specs as the Tempest was the pistol I aspired to own ever since I saw one demonstrated in a Willesden second hand shop back in the day and back when such shops could still sell old airguns.

John
    Prices of Tempests do seem to be on the rise.
    Sure you can still find tatty ones for £100, but the nice boxed ones I've seen have been around the £150 mark..
    Which is nearer where they should be IMHO

Given the last brand new Brum Tempest I bought would have been from JSR mail order in the mid-90's for around £75, the Bank of England inflation calculator has the equivalent new price today at, give or take, £141.
    So technically £100 or so might not be unreasonable boxed S/H in good condition - but I agree they are undervalued at that. It seems the price for a fairly nice boxed example with paperwork currently retails in the shops for between £200 to (gulp) £275. Obviously private and fair sales are less, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryde View Post

Whenever I buy a Webley pistol (honestly, dear, I won't buy another!) I remove the OE grips & replace them with a set of wood ones (airgunner.177?) made by a bloke on here. Improved shooting experience, the fragile original grips are put away, so if I ever sell the the pistols, they can quickly be put back into original condition.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

very nice nice xmas present

Bought a brand new tempest myself earlier in the year,great little pistol