Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which tools are best for working on Air guns?

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/wh...crewdriver-set

These kinda sets do most jobs, sold under various names over the years but proper gunsmith bits
    Have a similar set since the late 70's, about £3 mail order, yes good quality especially the slotted bits

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I bought a set like that from Lidl for £4, and strangely they're a better quality than you'd expect for that sort of money.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I’m not sure its soft that you want. The stainless steel seems to glide across the bluing and scrap off the rust? I don’t see the stainless steel harming the bluing at all? Its a bit counter intuitive?
    I suppose it depends on what you are rubbing. For instance for de-leading barrels, you get little patches made from bronze/copper - softer to the barrel.

A hammer

Dave.

Thats actually a good point DM. Is it a nylon hammer that imparts shock to help move metal? I ask this because I have two BSA Mercury rifles and one definately needs attention as it wont push out a pellet yet has had a new breech seal..

Also the right oil

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    You can also get copper pads like this too which would be even softer than the steel ones.
    Not wishing to divert from the principal topic of tools on this thread, to protect the outside surfaces, I have to commend Ballistol, both their original and specific Gunex versions.
    They work well on rust and provide a protective coating on the wood and metal. It is more than a coating, you are anointing.
    Last edited by Heugher; 26-11-2022 at 06:20 AM.
    Millimetres matter

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Get yourself a nice soft hammer ( the type with nylon heads). These are really useful and safeguard your metalwork.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Thanks for the tips Guys. Even though the list is growing its not an expensive one.... some knowledgable enterprising soul could make a sticky out of this as there is plenty foe someone entering tinkering for the first time to think about?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Thats actually a good point DM. Is it a nylon hammer that imparts shock to help move metal? I ask this because I have two BSA Mercury rifles and one definately needs attention as it wont push out a pellet yet has had a new breech seal..
    You really need several hammers, at least two. One with brass/aluminium/nylon face to avoid marring, and a heavy one to move stuck objects.
    I like to have a small steel head hammer too for precision work.
    Too many airguns!

Tools are a bit more extensive than what I have been using Evert! I have a box full of old screwdrivers etc that will all be replaced. I am looking forward to a fresh start with relevant tools

Tools are a bit more extensive than what I have been using Evert! I have a box full of old screwdrivers etc that will all be replaced. I am looking forward to a fresh start with relevant tools
    It is great to get screwdriver bit kits with good fresh bits but it will not solve all situations.
    Save the old ones and get a bench grinder so you can fit them when needed.
    Too many airguns!

I keep a separate toolbox for the gun gear, oils & greases to save them from getting mixed up with my diy/motorbike/pushbike tools, & a Deben rifle bench rest.
    An interesting thread, thanks for starting it.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Good shout Laverdabru with the rifle rest! I fitted a different scope to a little Meteor this morning-even an Indian Goddess with 8 arms would have had her work cut out! Fiddly damned thing kept slipping.... a rifle rest would have sorted that out no problem!

Scopes/Meteor - don't get me started! Recently bought a 4x40 ex demo Richter, fitted it to a Mk 5, found I couldn't cock it - DOH!
    Will fit it to the older HW35 in due course,

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Good shout Laverdabru with the rifle rest! I fitted a different scope to a little Meteor this morning-even an Indian Goddess with 8 arms would have had her work cut out! Fiddly damned thing kept slipping.... a rifle rest would have sorted that out no problem!
    I use an MTM Gun Vise for servicing and fitting scopes. https://solware.co.uk/mtm-gun-viceA couple of small spirit levels like this are useful from most chain DIY shops, as can be a plumb line - helps get everything 'square' https://www.homebase.co.uk/stanley-pocket-level/12814017.html