Thread: Enviro Lead

Enviro Lead

I'm completely out of soft lead and wondered whether anyone had experience of using Enviro Lead?

Its a recycled product made from car battery plates. I would have thought that maybe it was not as pure as roofing lead but suitable for muzzle loading?

Steve.

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I just looked at their website, its simply recycled lead from batteries, strikes me that the word "Enviro" refers to the fact that its recycled not that its anything else. Is it more expensive than standard lead?

As said, I think Enviro lead is a trade name. There are others like it by firms that do the same.

I think the plates in a battery are pure lead and pure zinc. I think they will separate the two metals when batteries are recycled.

There is a firm in Derbyshire that has been doing this for years. They recycle everything including he battery casing. From what it says everything they reclaim goes back into making new batteries so the lead will be separate from the zinc.

It seems that its made to the same BS as ordinary lead sheet so >99% pure. I was just a little wary as the seller was offering it at a little less the half the going rate.

Anyway, I collected a 6m roll today and its very good - soft lead, no oxidation as it was dated Sept 2022.

Now hopefully I can use it before it gets banned.....

Steve.

I've experimented with Bismuth/Tin sold as a lead free substitute for model soldiers. It works okay but is fiercely expensive compared to (free) lead pipes salvaged from my neighbours extension! There's a firm in the USA that make an alternative to lead which a lot of States have banned already. As far as I am aware it's not readily available in the UK yet.

I am pretty certain the ban will come, I may be wrong but after all, anything with 'an environment issue' attached to the Bill will have millions of people rallying around it. I would just like to be ready for the nay-sayers when it happens. One small point, has anyone seen the YouTube video of the Lithium miners in China? And they complain about lead??

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    It seems that its made to the same BS as ordinary lead sheet so >99% pure. I was just a little wary as the seller was offering it at a little less the half the going rate.

Anyway, I collected a 6m roll today and its very good - soft lead, no oxidation as it was dated Sept 2022.

Now hopefully I can use it before it gets banned.....

Steve.
    Do you know what thickness they sell