Thread: HW100 Servicing

HW100 Servicing

So, having decided my HW100 is a keeper I am looking to get it serviced... purchased secondhand off here some time ago I've never had any problems with it, so this is preventative maintenance, and over my (cheap chinese) chrono it is down a bit on power, but nice and consistent at 10.8ft/lb

Options considered are a full Ratworks service and regulator, expensive, especially as the benefits of the regulator over standard (which is very good) may not be worth the cost, and carriage is nearly 30% of the total

I've tried to contact HW100TUNING but seem to have come across an email black hole abyss (again) - had the same problems with them last time when arranging work on a friends HW110

I've found some good, almost real time videos showing the strip, replace seals and rebuild of an HW100, and to be fair it has demystified the process (springers I'll do, PCP not so confident)

Am I likely to be able to increase the power just by adjusting regulator once serviced, or am I going to have to tackle the AT to be able to adjust the hammer for a balanced adjustment?

If anyone knows a reputable gunsmith who could carry out a full service and remove the AT so it is adjustable please let me know! Or any other advice on servicing?
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Contact 'Blackmax' om here. He knows his way around HW100s as many here can verify.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right.

Blackmax is the Man.

they say he is good

In response to your question regarding adjusting the power level via the regulator, you'll definitely want to loosen the AT and then strike the balance between hammer tension and regulator pressure

You don't say which pellet gives 10.8 and for what it's worth at that ME i wouldn't bother raising it.
    May be worth investigating when service/seals required tho'.
    Could be worth swapping the breech seal first anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    So, having decided my HW100 is a keeper I am looking to get it serviced... purchased secondhand off here some time ago I've never had any problems with it, so this is preventative maintenance, and over my (cheap chinese) chrono it is down a bit on power, but nice and consistent at 10.8ft/lb

Options considered are a full Ratworks service and regulator, expensive, especially as the benefits of the regulator over standard (which is very good) may not be worth the cost, and carriage is nearly 30% of the total

I've tried to contact HW100TUNING but seem to have come across an email black hole abyss (again) - had the same problems with them last time when arranging work on a friends HW110

I've found some good, almost real time videos showing the strip, replace seals and rebuild of an HW100, and to be fair it has demystified the process (springers I'll do, PCP not so confident)

Am I likely to be able to increase the power just by adjusting regulator once serviced, or am I going to have to tackle the AT to be able to adjust the hammer for a balanced adjustment?

If anyone knows a reputable gunsmith who could carry out a full service and remove the AT so it is adjustable please let me know! Or any other advice on servicing?

Ratworks, Blackmax and HW100 Tuning are all good in my experience. Personally I wouldn't bother with the Tench regulator. It gives the possibility of more shots, but only because you can fill to more than 200 bar, provided your air cylinder will take it. That doesn't interest me as I already get 140-150 from my standard reg at 200 bar (.177). Judging by the one I have, the Tench is good, but in an HW100 it is no better than standard reg in any other respect.

As others have said, you will almost certainly need to remove the AT or just buy a new non-AT hammer assembly if you want to make meaningful power adjustments. But frankly at a consistent 10.8, I wouldn't bother.

Alan
    Last edited by Archer50; 29-11-2022 at 04:09 PM.

did you get your gun done bud

I've been looking at similar servicing as my 10 year old HW100 is around 10.8 ft/lbs too.

Hw100 tuning will get back to you but if I remember correctly last message I got said one of their technicians was retiring soon and it would be months rather than weeks lead time. Rat works looks good but as mentioned above I also concluded the tench regulator wasnt neccesary for my needs. My understanding is both companies will remove the AT and set the gun just below legal limit with the pellet you use. The power can then be adjusted if it drops again or if you change pellet.

When i got mine SH 4 years ago I took it to Airgundoctor, Cannock for a service. Good service.
    Then last year i had some spare pocket money and had it Ratworks tuned with new reg, its turned a good gun into an excellent gun

Dont touch the airgun doctor. He did a crap job on mine.

100s can vary a lot re shot count. Mine would do 4 to 5 mags max. Accurate and consistent but really.

After Phil at Ratworks did a tune, cylinder and reg, it was 140 plus.

100s respond well to tuning imho.

ATs are not a legal requirement don't forget and an AT is not an absolute defence at law.

I recommend Phil at Ratworks.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Have had contact with 100Tuning and they are a man down in the workshop, so looking at New Year before I can get it done - not much of a loss as busy with work currently and a new job first week of the New Year... thanks all for your input
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)