Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What scope for a 1980's weihrauch HW35?

What scope for a 1980's weihrauch HW35?

Hello, what scope would you advise me to get for for a Weihrauch Hw35?
    Any recommendations or information appreciated, thanks.

1980s Nikko Stirlings are nice, even the old black gloss Silver Crown series are decent enough and come up occasionally fairly cheap. 4x32 is my preference.

Thumbs up

Thanks very much for the advice Nikkormat, I will keep an eye out for one. Thanks for the great suggestion mate.

It may be worth adding an arrestor block or using a peg if your mounts allow. I needed to use a peg with the diopter on my HW35E.

Thumbs up

Thank you Halimede, yes I will do mate as she does kick a bit.

Would the diopter be a better option than a scope?
    How much do they go for generally?

Sorry for the questions and thank you for the advice mate

Sportsmatch low 2 piece double clamp with a nice period 4x32 would be my choice. Recently had a tasco 2-7×32 on my 35e.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

For period mounts, look out for an ASI one-piece mount (used to come in a red box with gold lettering) - my father first got one of these with his Omega in 86, so they are period (it's the high version that you can look through for the iron sights), and I've tracked a couple others down since for 80's rifles. I haven't got a HW35 so can't comment specifically on that, but it doesn't shift with recoil on a Vulcan or unidentified (and twangy) Chinese thing.

I still think the Webley Omega was the best set-up for scope mounts - the 3 grooves for cross arrestor pin, or the solid metal safety block (not like Hatsan's plastic version) to butt the mount up against.

i had a lovely omega wish i still owned it

The period almost iconic set up for the HW35E was the Optima 3-9x45 Moonlighter. HW80 then the John Darling 3-9x56 Super Moonlighter.
    Mounts is more tricky, but the Apel one piece with HW arrestor stud is the one to have. Rocking horse poo. Sportsmatch will do mounts for it with arrestor stud, though there might be others that do the same. Thing is many mounts are a bit modern looking for what is a vintage rifle in looks. Moderators don't look that good on them either.

Because the HW35 has been around forever then people have done all sorts of things. Nikkos, Tasco, Simons, and a bunch of others. The HW35 is on the chunky side so can take quite a bit of scope. 3-9x40's don't exactly "fill" the look, nor do the 2-7x32AO Tascos.

It takes a well fettled HW35 to hit a Polo mint out to 30m, and x9 will give a wood pigeon head shot sight picture for that.
    Stick a 4-16x40 on and at high mag going for nat accuracy will just send you nuts. They were never meant to be benchrest rifles.
    Range around the farmyard was just by getting familiar with the rifle and its drop. (The Moonlighter soon came with a BDC, but it wasn't ever that great so few people actually used them.)

I too love the Omega. They take the same cross pin Apel Mount as the FWB Sport. Apel mounts were sold branded to a few other traders.

Hw35

Also check the scope rail. Early ones are 13mm. Later 35's from around 81? Are 11mm. Look out for the Rhino mount, looks like an apel but a cheaper option or early sportsmatch with screw head bolts . Scope wise, Tasco, Kassnar, ASI, etc from that period will do. Mach 1.5

I have a beautiful gloss Hunter 4x32 (jap) on my late 80,s 77. It really suits it imo
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Rats Down .22 View Post
    Thank you Halimede, yes I will do mate as she does kick a bit.

Would the diopter be a better option than a scope?
    How much do they go for generally?

Sorry for the questions and thank you for the advice mate
    Hi Rats Down.
    Is a diopter better than a 'scope?
    Not really comparable as they do different jobs. An HW35 (mine at least) is stocked for open sights and as the diopter sits at pretty much the same height as an open sight it fits me well. A scope's sightline can be quite a bit higher which could make the cheekpiece seem to be a bit low. Not all guns are stocked for 'scopes and can be a bit uncomfortable.
    Open and diopter sights don't magnify and with my eyesight, don't allow the same accuracy as a 'scope. The gun is a springer and it will move around a bit on firing, for this reason a high magnification 'scope will perhaps just frustrate you. High mags also tend to have larger objective lenses which require taller mounts, lower mags often have smaller objective lenses and sit lower. Open sights and diopters are more of a challenge than magnifiers, decide what you want from the gun. Use dictates what sight suits.
    I have 60 something year old eyes and like knocking spinners at 20 yards. A diopter in good light is much better at this with my eyes than open sights and good enough to be fun. I think that the lively nature of the gun would make it frustrating for me if I used a 'scope.
    When I bought the gun, I went straight to a diopter so never shot it with a 'scope. It seems to me that low mags would suit it with good technique.
    I think that I paid about a hundred for the diopter, it is Anschutz with an alloy body. You can get them for perhaps half that. Not sure about some of the very cheap ones; I doubt that they would hold on well. I made a short brass peg that sits into the front 'scope mount peg hole. This holds the diopter in a good place for me. Without the peg the diopter moved back over a couple of dozen shots. I took the front sight element out and replaced it with a clear disc with a tapered 4mm hole. Works a treat for me and easy to make. Whatever you get, make sure that you get the right rail width for your gun's rails.

Thumbs up

Thank you all for the great and in depth information that I have received from you all, it has all been a great help to me.

I have decided to keep an eye out for a small quality scope from the eighties to keep the rifle looking as original as possible.

I do have some other questions though please, if anyone has the answers:

The Hw35 that I have has a barrel length of just over 16 and a half inches, does this mean it is a k version or has it just been shortened by a previous owner?
    The stamped barrel just says Hw35.

It has good power (not chronographed) but seems very loud when firing. If I were to have it tuned would it quieten it down?
    The previous owner stated that he had recently changed the spring and synthetic seal but that is all I know.

Thanks as always.

A few more thoughts.
    If your barrel was shortened, wouldn't it lose the foresight dovetail at the muzzle? My .177 HW35E (2018) has a barrel that is about 18 1/2" long and I wouldn't say that it was unduly loud. I put my serial number into Weihrauch's number calculator and although it found my gun it only gave me the year of manufacture, no build details. Try Hull Cartridge? AA once told me all about my TX200 when I gave them the serial number.
    I find that scopes are more adaptable than diopters in that diopters are really only much use for target shooting. If you have (or have access to) a variable power scope, try mounting it and playing with the magnification to get an idea of what sort of scope you might want. I would say that there is limited point in going for say, a vintage two times and finding that you can't see the pellet strike. I think that diopters look the part but I certainly wouldn't hunt with one.