Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milbro Mk1V Pistols info sought please

Milbro Mk1V Pistols info sought please

Hi,

This is not somehing I thought I would ever ask about but what do people think of and how much do Milbro Mk4 pistols go for? Until recently I have ignored air pistols completely but after encouragement (nagging?) from Gggr I purchased a Webley Junior, then a Nemesis, then a Tempest.... I am sure you understand how this goes. This morning I stumbled upon a review of a Milbro Mk4 pistol and its so ugly and odd that I am intrigued and would like to know more. Are they sought after, collected or are they ignored? I actually don't remember ever seeing a thread devoted to them but as I say I used to skip past anything pistol related.
    This is all pretty tragic because one thing leads to another and I spent half of my Saturday night reading about Milbro rifles and pistols and think I maybe developing an airgun crush on the poorest manufacturer ever.
    Almost forgot to add that I have a Milbro G46 Target thing acquired years ago (cant remember where) in a terrible state which has suddenly become interesting.
    Your thoughts on the pistol and Milbro in general would be very much appreciated.

Have a look in Airgun Collector issue 3 linked above somewhere for a history of the Mark IV/G4. Protek often have them and there are usually boxed examples for sale at Kempton. I found a pristine early 6 sided boxed example at Kempton for under £100 around 3 years ago and have probably seen every other boxed example there at some point. There are numerous variants to find of this British/Scottish classic.

Prices do vary and I would suggest over £100 and nearer to £150 for pristine early boxed examples, while later pristine boxed examples can sometimes be found for a little less.

Good hunting.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Thanks John I will look at issue 3. I am surprised that they fetch so much as they were made forever and a day. For that sort of money one could purchase another Tempest!

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....iv-air-pistol/

If you are into "Collecting" , then collect one.
    As a very basic, easy to cock plinker, they are easy to cock.
    However they are not easy to get spares for and they are not very accurate. They seem to have the strange thing of being able to hit a matchbox sized target for 3 shots and then number 4 will somehow bend like a banana and go a couple of inches to the left and a few inches high.

I know someone who when he was at school, made, with the help of the metal work teacher, a .22 barrel for one

The medallion on the grip is often missing but i found that a silver Thrupenny bit will fit the hole, and looks better than the medallion.

I dont like the G4 although it is a nice looking pistol.
    At least the end cap wont fly off and hit you in the face, like with the Zenit (yes it happend to me )
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Very clever with the coin idea! I must say I remember you getting a slap in the chops of that Zenit.... I bet you can laugh about it now? I dont think I will be bothering with the Mk4 due to cost alone-but it does look cool. I will be sticking to .177 Tempest pistols or another Nemesis in the same calibre

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Hi,

This is not somehing I thought I would ever ask about but what do people think of and how much do Milbro Mk4 pistols go for? Until recently I have ignored air pistols completely but after encouragement (nagging?) from Gggr I purchased a Webley Junior, then a Nemesis, then a Tempest.... I am sure you understand how this goes. This morning I stumbled upon a review of a Milbro Mk4 pistol and its so ugly and odd that I am intrigued and would like to know more. Are they sought after, collected or are they ignored? I actually don't remember ever seeing a thread devoted to them but as I say I used to skip past anything pistol related.
    This is all pretty tragic because one thing leads to another and I spent half of my Saturday night reading about Milbro rifles and pistols and think I maybe developing an airgun crush on the poorest manufacturer ever.
    Almost forgot to add that I have a Milbro G46 Target thing acquired years ago (cant remember where) in a terrible state which has suddenly become interesting.
    Your thoughts on the pistol and Milbro in general would be very much appreciated.
    John's article:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....tol/#post-6649
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks Garvin, thats a great in depth article, good reading, what a fascinating little gun. Its strange in all my years I've never come across one but they sold them for ages!?

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

Prices do vary and I would suggest over £100 and nearer to £150 for pristine early boxed examples, while later pristine boxed examples can sometimes be found for a little less.

Good hunting.

John
    Wow, as much as that. When I was a postie a few years back there was a very clean boxed example I could see in the hall of a house (glass door) I used to deliver to. Always meant to make him an offer, but he was never in. Disappeared one day.
    It was a pistol I liked as a teenager, a couple of friends had them, but I ended up going the Wobbly route.

Bru
    Last edited by laverdabru; 28-11-2022 at 12:53 PM.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I had a love affair with them a few (more than a few) years ago and have 3 pristine boxed examples, one without box as well as a rebuilt one (with a groove for the thumb) Diana and Milbro (no difference) also the Zenit from which it was copied. As a plinker I quite like it but it is more a boy's toy (of the younger variety) than an air pistol - give me a Webley from the old school any day.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

I have only just turned to Webley pistols.... very solid and indeed may have to try more of them. Things have gone full circle for them as they now look fashionable with all the Steampunk fad

I had one a few years ago.
    I know what you mean, they're tragic enough looking to be somehow attractive.
    My experience though is as above - not much power and not particularly accurate and yet, somehow nice to have.
    I had doubts about the efficiency of the breach seal.
    That said, I got rid of mine and replaced it with a Webley Premier, which is in a different league.

Thumbs up

A mate at work brought me this one from the bootsale, It was years ago and was cheap, Can't remember exactly but it was something like £20 or £30, No box but i'm sure I had one somewhere put away that was sort of triangular in shape, It could be up in the loft somewhere!!

I took it to work on nights (Huge foundry), My mate put a plastic aerosol cap on a stancheon, Took aim from around thirty feet away and sent it flying! His head swelled so much I think he struggled to get through the door!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

They are reasonably common at auction... but usually not boxed. If memory serves me right, prices are around £40 -£60 plus commission. My notes say that output is around 250fps with JSB Exact .177 which is around on spec, I think?
    Cheers, Phil

They look so odd they look good! If I came across one for £40 I would buy it just out of curiosity. I did buy a Junior this year for not much more and although similar power its great fun.... I cant hit anything with it though

Milbro 1V

I have one in its box any good