Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA Mercury Project

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    For me, the stand out plus point on that rifle is the sturdy barrel hinge bolt.
    Modified HW bolt probably?
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    If you only want weight, that would probably be okay. If you want the shroud to extend past the barrel and have sound reduction effect, you want to center it better.
    Thanks Evert, for now I will just have it too help add a little weight and looks. In future I may try putting a silencer onto a BSA barrel or an air stripper which again would most likely just be cosmetic. Almost everything is ordered now including tools for a start in the christmas break.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Modified HW bolt probably?
    Certainly looks it. I think it's been detailed previously?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Just a quick question are the 13mm Sportsmatch mounts that Ramsbottom sells suitable for the Mercury/Airsporter?

My Airsporters and mercury accept 11mm mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Just a quick question are the 13mm Sportsmatch mounts that Ramsbottom sells suitable for the Mercury/Airsporter?
    The Mk1 Airsporter had no grooves.
    The Mk2 has a wider mount, described here: https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...sporter-Mark-2
    Later Airsporters and Mercurys with 11mm grooves will need 11mm mounts, unless they have the Maxigrip rail where a wider mount is needed.
    Many mounts, including Sportsmacth have reversible claws to accommodate variations between 11 and 13mm grooves.
    Too many airguns!

Dorn, Evert, thanks for the responses. I always thought that BSA (other than Meteors) had that odd scope size-I will now double check though the Mercurys that I have are both MK2 variants. I would love to find an Airsporter with standard 11mm grooves, that would save some hassle.

last question for a while... is there a strip/guide other than the sticky on here? Unscrewing the end of a Mercury will be a new experience though I am not too worried about the spring pressure as I do have some bulk-been training a lifetime for this apparantly

last question for a while... is there a strip/guide other than the sticky on here? Unscrewing the end of a Mercury will be a new experience though I am not too worried about the spring pressure as I do have some bulk-been training a lifetime for this apparantly
    It will probably be unproblematic.... But thick insulated leather gloves are a great help when the time comes to reassemble the gun with a fresh spring.
    Too many airguns!

Dorn, Evert, thanks for the responses. I always thought that BSA (other than Meteors) had that odd scope size-I will now double check though the Mercurys that I have are both MK2 variants. I would love to find an Airsporter with standard 11mm grooves, that would save some hassle.

Unscrewing Mercurys and Airspoters is not so difficult once you get the thread going. I'm looking at an end block now there is a good 20+ mm of thread to undo, the old spring will have shortened over time and the pressure on the block will not be as great as when you try to put a new one back in. Hold the gun pointing down on something soft like cloth on top of your best Axmister hold the cylinder with one hand and unscrew from the end block held to resist the turning with your other hand. When you have one cm of exposed thread put some pressure on it yourself and continue to unwind the cylinder with your other hand whilst now being ready to take the force from the spring as it finally unscrews. this is where the single leather glove comes in to protect the palm of your hand.
    When you reassemble you will have to fight a much stronger spring, UNLESS you got to Welsh Willy and install one of his kits, he shortens the spring so there is very little pre load, loads easier.
    I've got two WW kits now Merc and Airsporter.

Evert, Dorn. Thank you. I will take heed and source a glove to help with grip. I did consider a Welsh Willy kit but Chambers are offering a refurb kit for £19... very cheap-I may even buy one more for another Mercury and one for a Meteor.
    I am hoping that before christmas I will have enough parts to rebuild my none working Mercury and be able to fit a scope on it with mounts TO48 from Ramsbottom, something I have long wanted to do to a Mercury and an Airsporter though I have never owned the latter (so far).
    What would be the best finish? A reblue or repaint similar to a Meteor.
    Thanks again for the help and advice, having a knowledge base to fall back on is extremely helpful.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    They are for the Maxi grip rail, which were on the Challenger and the later Airsporter S and obviously the Super/Goldstar and the Supersport Custom.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thanks No Hands, I am going to have to contact any sellers before buying to confirm I am sourcing the correct mounts. The Mercury Challenger and the 635 are a mystery item too me-I have never seen either nor seen anyone using one, I believe the Challenger had a two piece cocking arm? Where they Gamo or still BSA by this point?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Thanks No Hands, I am going to have to contact any sellers before buying to confirm I am sourcing the correct mounts. The Mercury Challenger and the 635 are a mystery item too me-I have never seen either nor seen anyone using one, I believe the Challenger had a two piece cocking arm? Where they Gamo or still BSA by this point?
    The mk1 and 2 Mercury had a one piece cocking arm but the mk3 and 4 and the Challenger had a two piece but they where of BSA design and not like the Gamo cocking arms, the Gamo arms are actually clever as they have a slot to put a little plastic stirrup in that rides against the cylinder and also has a pin that a little plastic wheel slots onto and runs in a groove in the stock to aid in smoother cocking.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Yes your right Gamo improved on some ideas but cheapened a lot of other areas.