Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Just tried something I've never done before on a springer.... and it worked !

Quote Originally Posted by maz001471 View Post
    Yes, I got an ox in my hw98 0.22 and it works very nicely, super smooth and also has a sleeve and guide fitted.
    Just out of interest, Maz, did I give you that Spring ?

I only ask as I gave away a few square section springs at a Boinger Bash that had been donated to the cause by Punchsteve, if it came from me it would be an Airforce Spring.

All the best Mick

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I normally machine a well fitting 316 Stainless Steel Spring guide when using a square section Spring and instead of putting a taper on the front end I put a radius.

As you say though Rob, any make of Spring which is too long or too wide for the application will cause problems, but thankfully I've not had any to date.

All the best Mick
    funny you mention that.. I found a delrin guide that fitted nicely, but went with a steel guide in this particular case as it seemed a safer option...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Just out of interest, Maz, did I give you that Spring ?

I only ask as I gave away a few square section springs at a Boinger Bash that had been donated to the cause by Punchsteve, if it came from me it would be an Airforce Spring.

All the best Mick
    Hello Mick,
    No you did not give me that spring.
    I had it fitted by A&M gunsmiths when he did the tuning work to the HW98 [ every one that shot it said it was a very sedate rifle to shoot].
    Cheers Maz.

Hello Mick,
    I had it fitted by A&M gunsmiths when he did the tuning work to the HW98 [ every one that shot it said it was a very sedate rifle to shoot].
    Cheers Maz.
    Do you have any idea if the spring was cut, or how many coils it has?
    Too many airguns!

Hello Mick,
    Cheers Maz.
    Cheers Maz.

I was just wondering, as I haven't actually used one of Steve's myself, I have used Airforce springs before though.

All the best Mick

When someone writes that it always tells me more about the author than the spring.

All the best Mick
    Yep I agree there, I wouldn’t mind betting that train of thought goes back to the days when an Ox spring was stuffed full length into a webley hawk or meteor and buggered them up by doing so, word then gets around and some jump on the bandwagon and slate them having never tried them.
    Regards Graham

I still have an Ox spring I took out of an xs20 (hw95 clone). It had been stuffed in full length and it had literally torn the cocking shoe in two with use. As said previously, therein is most of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I still have an Ox spring I took out of an xs20 (hw95 clone). It had been stuffed in full length and it had literally torn the cocking shoe in two with use. As said previously, therein is most of the problem.
    Another thing which I think contributed to the OX's bad reputation was the simple fact that they were introduced before chronographs became readily available at an affordable price.

Shooting into the Telephone directory and counting the number of pages penetrated is no substitute for having a reliable velocity figure in front of you.

Nowadays I couldn't imagine twatting about with springers without a decent chrono to work with --- we're spoiled now.

All the best Mick

A couple of years ago, my wife asked something similar.”On Saturday night, do you want to try something we have never done before?”

Like a mug, I fell for it and replied in the affirmative.

“Good,” she says, “we are stewarding the local hospice charity walk by starlight.”

And it p*ssed down with rain all night to boot.

Well, it was a very good cause.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Another thing which I think contributed to the OX's bad reputation was the simple fact that they were introduced before chronographs became readily available at an affordable price.

Shooting into the Telephone directory and counting the number of pages penetrated is no substitute for having a reliable velocity figure in front of you.

Nowadays I couldn't imagine twatting about with springers without a decent chrono to work with --- we're spoiled now.

All the best Mick
    Sadly, even these days you sometimes get told stories by people who used to have airguns "back in the day" who had "tuned" them with "special" springs which were "reet parful" without having a clue as to what power the rifle was actually making.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Sadly, even these days you sometimes get told stories by people who used to have airguns "back in the day" who had "tuned" them with "special" springs which were "reet parful" without having a clue as to what power the rifle was actually making.
    I still get folks tell me that you can make a springer really powerful by just fitting a stronger Spring, Tone.

"It'll put pellets straight through both sides of a dustbin"

All the best Mick

In spite of my use of a standard spring in a meteor I'm beginning to ponder using a Titan BUT and it's a big but I don't know how much to start cutting it down. I'm thinking 1 inch of preload to begin with.
    Last edited by Dornfelderliebe; 10-12-2022 at 10:51 AM. Reason: clarification

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    In spite of my use of a standard spring in a meteor I'm beginning to ponder using a Titan BUT and it's a big but I don't know how much to start cutting it down. I'm thinking 1 inch of preload to begin with.
    most important question - what are you trying to achieve ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    most important question - what are you trying to achieve ?
    Either equal to or marginally greater than the 11 fpe I am currently getting with a standard spring. with no loss of manners as shown with the comments on over powerfull Oxs stuffed into guns that can't take them.
    My thoughts are can a shorter Titan equal a standard BSA spring.