Thread: Recommendation for peep sight for modern LGV!

Recommendation for peep sight for modern LGV!

Being something of an open-sight shooter, I am thinking of fitting a peep sight on a 2019 LGV. I already have a Gamo fitted on an Omega, which I find better than standard open sights both for targets and vermin. Indeed, it is also easier to estimate elevation with peep sights, with regard to holdover.

I am just wondering what readers, here, might recommend? I am aware that some precision peep sights from Walther and such like are at eye-watering prices and therefore not suitable.

The peep sights would have to fit along the LGV scope rail.

Rgds
    A

Do not Air Arms produce (or market) a peep sight that fits a scope rail? If I remember correctly it is quite a reasonable price... might be worth a google?

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Do not Air Arms produce (or market) a peep sight that fits a scope rail? If I remember correctly it is quite a reasonable price... might be worth a google?

Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil. I have just checked their site and they appear to have discontinued this item, alas. Probably, most people are on telescopic sights these days, so there might not have been sufficient demand.

Best
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Thanks Phil. I have just checked their site and they appear to have discontinued this item, alas. Probably, most people are on telescopic sights these days, so there might not have been sufficient demand.

Best
    A

Try Gamo, I’ve been told it is the same as the Air Arms. I use a Williams peep sight on my HW30S.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Try Gamo, I’ve been told it is the same as the Air Arms. I use a Williams peep sight on my HW30S.
    Thanks Zephyr. As I understand it, with the Williams peep sight, one has to make sure they fit the scope rails. Did you buy yours directly from the USA?
    Rgds
    A

Without the the ‘pin camera’ focusing effect of a peep/diopter sight, normal blade type open sights don’t work for me due to long-sightedness.

I tried various diopter sights like the Air Arms, (aside not liking the aesthetics) they look vulnerable to being knocked. I bought the Williams peep sight from brownells.co.uk I chose a very low profile version to which I attached a small extension to get the elevation to a point where the sight’s own adjustment becomes effective. I had no problem with it fitting to the HW30S dovetail, but there many versions of the Williams (my memory could be wrong, but I think it was a WGRS-54).

Edit - Aha! https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...topic=187291.0 my memory looks to be correct
    Last edited by zephyr; 04-12-2022 at 07:45 AM.

I'd also be exploring the Williams routes.

I would imagine those Air Arms / Gamo designs to be not sturdy enough re knocks and full sporty springer use. Only guessing, though.

Another place I'd be exploring would be on the "Sights" section on the NSRA shop. When once browsing I saw one that looked like it might be very good. I think it was a Gehmann one? Did I get the name right? A more "compact" version that looked to be very well made, sturdy and adjustable.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thank you for your replies.

I have been on to the Williams website and they are out of stock presently, like everyone else, it appears (it seems, incidentally, that this particular variety requires some filing to fit the scope rails).

I also visited the NSRA shop - good idea - but they are also short of stock for all brands.

I might have to try to find something second hand and will see what comes up at Kempton next Sunday, failing all else.

Best
    A

I am not familiar with any LGV guns or Williams sights but I put an Anschutz diopter on my HW35E. It migrated back so I put a short brass peg into one of the arrestor location dimples between the dovetails. The diopter body hides it but one of the clamp screws leans against the peg and stops the Anschutz moving any more. From Google images it seems as though some LGVs have these arrestor location dimples. Simple piece of brass rod from a large woodscrew shoulder that fits the hole diameter (5.5mm diameter?) and is filed to sit about a 1.5mm proud of the action. The Anschutz body has clearance at the front that is higher than the clamp screw so with the clamp screw removed the diopter body slid over the peg and the screw, once replaced caught it on the way back. Easy to remove if it doesn't work and costs nothing if you have a screw and diopter to try. You may have three holes, giving a choice of positions to try.

Very interesting, Halimede, thank you for that and all noted. Given they are so light, I did not think there would be any movement of the rear sights. I am not aware that there is movement on my Gamo peep-sights, currently on my Webley Omega.

The Anschutz sights are eye-wateringly expensive. Is there a version that is relatively inexpensive, do you know?

Rgds
    A

I have a Diana version on an Original model 50 which, although die cast is rather nice. It's mount is strong, elegant and doesn't creep but it requires a serrated topped rail. My Anschutz seems cheaply made in comparison because it's lightweight body (also alloy) has a lengthways clamping slot. Mine is fine but some suffer from cracking when overtightened. Lots on internet auction, but mostly from Bulgaria, dunno why. 304727111316. This is a current item number from a UK seller on said auction site for the model that I use on my HW35e. I paid far less than they are asking and looking at the pictures I wouldn't touch for any price, except perhaps for parts. Generally about a hundred pounds but sometimes quite a bit less. I would expect there to be some at airgun fairs that you can actually handle and check for cracks.
    The older German sights are marked up differently to modern UK/USA marked sights. The arrows don't indicate the movement of the point of impact, they move the sight to the point of impact. I think that it is to do with good logical German engineers understanding that guns always point in the right direction so it is the sights that need moving and it threw me!
    I expect that most diopters made for used on air rifles are expected to go onto 6 ft/lbs paper target guns with gentle cycles that don't drag the sights back much, hence the cheaper and delicate diecast bodies. If buying a period, used sight then I suggest that you really do need to check for cracking around the clamping screws.
    Peeps are fun for target shooting but I wouldn't want to use one on vermin, better tools available for that.

Thanks Halimede, for that equally interesting post. What you say about the German engineers might explain why the sights on at least one of my air rifles seems to do the reverse of the direction I expect it to go. It was simple to fix: I simply did the opposite but it threw me too and I wondered whether it was a production fault.

Anyway, that is a good point about cracking around the screws. I shall try to remember and check this.

I found the item for sale, using your link. Very poor condition and overpriced, I thought, and also noted there were no bids!

I will see what I can find at Kempton but am happy to be patient and see what comes up over time.

Actually, I find peep sights far more accurate for vermin than open sights and it is easier to allow for overhold at slightly longer distances. It surprises me that more people do not prefer them over standard open sights. The pre-war BSAs used to provide an option for rear peep sights.

Kind rgds
    Andrew.

Hi andrewM.
    I also find peep sights better than open sights but my aged eyes need quite a lot of contrast or bright light and being in a quiet rural area the rats around here avoid both. As I have a PCP, the rats that come to my bird feeders run the risk of a 'scope but I do understand that better eyesight could allow the use of diopters. It is just my choice.
    My Weihrauch foresight body has quite a small internal diameter at 13mm and through it, things look a bit dim to me. I made discs with countersunk 4mm holes out of grey, yellow and clear 3mm acrylic sheet on the lathe but can only really use the clear discs and even then, I prefer the targets to be in direct sun. I expect that larger foresight bodies are easier to use and I am tempted to try to make one at about 20mm internal diameter. Sadly, none of my scope rings are low enough or fit the narrow dovetail at the muzzle. If one fitted, I would drop a disc in to see what it was like.

Yes, I quite understand Halimede and sympathise with your situation. I bought some more foresight elements sometime ago and, therefore, have a choice but, as you say, one needs more light in the dimmer weather. If one opens the aperture at the rear - assuming there is a choice of holes - then the accuracy is not quite as good although it allows in the light.

It really does baffle me that manufacturers of air rifles did not make more use of peep sights before telescopic sights became so popular.

I brought out my Omega on Sunday, to which is fitted a Gamo peepsight, and scored half inch groups quite happily at 25yds with H&N pointed. I also used Milbro Caledonia pellets, which are very cheap, and expected a poor performance but they were actually very good, not far away from the H&N. I presume the Milbro are still the old .22, ie 5.6mm.

Kind rgds
    A