Thread: Diana Model numbers.... not even including "original" and "Diana"

Diana Model numbers.... not even including "original" and "Diana"

Hi Chaps,

With the best of intentions I lust after modern air rifles and have been promising myself a pcp for a couple of years but I always seem to find another old rifle to covet or buy. Following a simple conversation with gggr and I started to browse the Diana 27. Then the 36 then ... I urge you to give it a go. I know that the 1930's had a lot going on but who the hell was in charge of cataloging the Diana/Original line of products??
    The Vintage Airgun Forum is an amazing spot

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....iana-model-27/

The amount of variations on this rifle will make your head spin. So... does anyone own one of these rifles? Are they easy enough to work on, get spares for? Also I rather have developed a soft spot for the larger post war Diana 36 (?) I'm not entirely sure of the different models made but it actually looks quality for a UK gun...anyone have one?

Finally I think I have a G46 (with safety catch) its in a bad state and probably only fit for parts? It has a scope rail but no bluing left and damaged stock. What to do with this? Parts only?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    The amount of variations on this rifle will make your head spin. So... does anyone own one of these rifles? Are they easy enough to work on, get spares for? Also I rather have developed a soft spot for the larger post war Diana 36 (?) I'm not entirely sure of the different models made but it actually looks quality for a UK gun...anyone have one?

Finally I think I have a G46 (with safety catch) its in a bad state and probably only fit for parts? It has a scope rail but no bluing left and damaged stock. What to do with this? Parts only?
    Lusting for D27's is nothing to be ashamed of!
    They are very nice mid-power shooters, and with low cocking effort, low noise, good plinking accuracy and good looks they can charm anyone who are not totally brainwashed by the modern world.
    As you know the gun was made both in different places and over a quite long period, which means you will encounter some design variations, with different piston seals, triggers and trigger mechanisms, and sights.
    The three-ball sear versions can be a bit challenging to work on for the less mechanically minded, but it really is not impossible if you just take your time and try to get good understanding of how it works before you try to assemble the gun.

The D26 and D28 are the more modern versions of the 27.

The G46 Targetmaster is a bit rare, and deserves to be kept and perhaps restored if possible.

The D36 is just a variation of the D34 with a more fancy stock, they used the same action in the 31, 34, 36 and 38, and made some recent model 35 on the same action. The old D35 is a different gun.
    The most desirable (at least to me) 30-series guns are the early "spade" safety guns with shorter stroke.
    Too many airguns!

Tha Diana 27 certainly did come in a variety of guises over the years. I've fired a fairly early model 27 dating from before 1939. It was a quarter stocked variant with clear sights single stage trigger & very well made. It happily grouped within an inch at around 15 yards & was very smooth to cock. No idea what the velocity was but if I had to guess I'd say it was probably around 500-550 fps (177) I have also fired a later half stocked Diana 27 with the double pull trigger which I think was as good as any from that period, & possibly better than most too. Once again build quality was very good & the general ergonomics were right for me. Possibly no more accurate than the earlier one but the trigger made it easier to shoot, so it fealt more accurate if that makes sense. I also fired it more than the quarter stocked one too, & it was probably about the same power but neither had been overhauled with new seals or springs so it might not be a very fair comparison.

As for spares I really don't know what's available, I'd guess springs & seals are probably easy enough to come by but other bits would be as & when if you are lucky.

Thanks for the help Evert and Trajectory. There are so many different variations that it will be a case of buying one when it turns up. The quarter stock version really does interest me though I had no idea that they were made in different places and over a long stretch of time.
    I will dig the 46 out but I think its beyond my meagre skills... it really was used to prop a door open! (thats how I came across it many years ago now). Probably for somone with a deep love of Diana Milbro to have a go at.
    Thanks again for the help- my list of rifles to obtain is getting longer.

The very first "sticky" above, has links to all three of Garvin's beautiful "Airgun Collector" magazines. Issue no. 1 contains an article on the model 27.

Names you might encounter on post-war German-made D27's include: Beeman's Original 27, Beeman 100, Diana 27, Gecado 27; Geco 27, Hy-Score 807, Original 27, RWS 27, and Winchester 427 (whew!).

I too have a "thing" for the little fellows, and am happy to help with questions, either here or via PM.

Last edited by MDriskill; 06-12-2022 at 01:52 PM.

Driskill your photo nailed exactly what I was having a mini rant about-there are so many! Every time I looked in the Blue Book or online I never seemed to see the same model twice! I particularily like the quarter stocked rifle which has that "period" look captured by early BSA and Webley models.
    I must compliment you, if those are your collection then your dedication is faultess. I may have a Milbro one or parts of one kicking about, its a strange thing how ones tastes change, just a few years ago I would not have given the 27 a second glance but now I find them a very worthy rifle indeed. In fact with so many different manufacturers I can understand your fascination with them... I cant think of any other design being so widely copied though the Gamo 440 has a fair few imitators!
    Thanks for sharing the pic I have duly saved it for future reference and I will before the end of 2023 have at least one Diana 27 in my collection. This thread may well be resurrected after the first purchase

Thank you for the kind words! If you will forgive more self-promotion, this old thread starts with my descriptions and photos of several of these, followed by much great info from others:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/amer...lls-t4916.html

The most noticeable change in the postwar German 27, was adding the aperture sight / scope rail in the early 1960's. While this was accompanied by some cost-saving changes (stamped instead of solid trigger blade, simplified machining in some areas, ball-bearing vs. wedge breech latch), there were also significant improvements (tunnel front sight, click-adjusting rear sight, and improved breech design, in addition to the rail). These newer ones are naturally more common, and the most versatile shooters.

Enjoy the hunt!
    Last edited by MDriskill; 06-12-2022 at 04:50 PM.

The link is VERY interesting and I will return to it again and again I am sure so thanks for including that. The aluminium trigger rifle has a beautoful stock! I must say the quality appears high even on the 60s Milbro versions of the rifle with locking screws on the breech.... something missing from the Meteor which musy have been a competitor to this gun. Thanks again for the information...I am saving almost every pic for reference

If you are thinking of buying a model 27 you will not be disappointed - they are really lovely guns and an absolute joy to shoot. I bought one about fifteen years ago from Protek date-stamped 1958.

Over twenty yeas ago I was sold an (earlier) mod 27 which, having just seen this thread, I dug out but now cannot see a model number on it so am not sure if it is actually a 27. It is identical in appearance to the top one in Driskill,s pic although not in such nice condition - all the metal work being slightly pitted, but stamped on the barrel just in front of the rear sight and clearly visible is "DIANA-LUFT-GEWEHR". Also it has a metal butt-plate so the date mark usually on the butt isn't there. It has a single pull trigger and the breech seal is not fitted to the barrel breech but is fitted into a groove at the front of the air chamber and it still makes a perfect seal. However, as I said earlier there is no sign of a model number either on the barrel, air chamber or around the cocking linkage area, so a bit of a mystery!

Aubrey

That sounds exactly like my old quarter-stock 27, which likewise has no model number. There are other details of it linked in post no. 7 above.

Also check the chamber length, which measures 290mm from the front of the breech jaws, to the front of the barrel block. That distinguishes the 27 from the contemporary model 25, which was similar in construction and appearance but shorter.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 06-12-2022 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    That sounds exactly like my old quarter-stock 27, which likewise has no model number. There are other details of it linked in post no. 7 above.

Also check the chamber length, which measures 290mm from the front of the breech jaws, to the front of the barrel block. That distinguishes the 27 from the contemporary model 25, which was similar in construction and appearance but shorter.
    I have just clicked on the link in your earlier post with more detailed pics and descriptions and the distance from the front of the breech jaws to the front of the trigger block (which is what I think you meant) is 290mm so it seems mine is a mod 27 but with the addition of a locking screw on the barrel hinge bolt which would stop the bolt turning. Also on mine the R/Sight is adjusted by means of a serrated wheel rather than a screw but I am not sure if this is original or a later replacement

Interesting, thanks! I would guess those are minor production variations that happen over time. The improved breech may indicate yours is a bit newer than mine.

The production date is typically stamped under the breech block, visible only when the action is open. Mine is "9.26" (September 1926).

Strangely, there does not seem to be any markings at all where you have indicated and the corrosion in that area is not too bad with most bluing intact. I will take a closer look in the morning in daylight, but thanks for the info.

I have checked again for a date stamp in the region you indicated but there are absolutely no markings there and I also removed the metal butt plate but nothing under there either. All a bit odd since all my old Dianas have date stamps - usually on the butt.