Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why has the concealed underlever idea been dumped except for the PS .

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Why has the concealed underlever idea been dumped except for the PS .

Is It a really a cr@p concept or is it something else? I like them anyway

A few of the olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Is It a really a cr@p concept or is it something else? I like them anyway

A few of the olds.

Excellent question! Mate got an Airsporter c 1986/7 in a walnut stock, Williams rearsight on the front of a proper scope mount, heavy barrel, lovely gun, we were all drooling enviously with our Webley Omegas, HW77s, Anschutz 335s. We never had a clue! It looked like a proper rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by foby75 View Post
    ...It looked like a proper rifle..
    I think there's the answer, looked like a proper rifle. I would imagine that the manufacturer's were 'suggested' by the powers that be, that the rifles look too real or to convert, bit like the Brick pistols, and it would be in the manufacturer's interest not to pursue that design ? Which doesn't fit in with the current aray of co2 pistols.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    For me, it was the awkward cocking action of the pro sport that meant I always picked up the TX200
    Pete

Not sure to be honest, I don’t have any any objections to the PS lever really. The only time it’s ever bothered me is when shooting at a bench when the long travel can be a bit of a pain. Definitely a bit of a Marmite gun though and the current RRP ain’t doing much to win over the doubters!
    Regards,
    Dave.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    I think there's the answer, looked like a proper rifle. I would imagine that the manufacturer's were 'suggested' by the powers that be, that the rifles look too real or to convert, bit like the Brick pistols, and it would be in the manufacturer's interest not to pursue that design ? Which doesn't fit in with the current aray of co2 pistols.
    That's the reason I love the Prosport and Airsporter, for me it's the looks, I'm not keen on the looks of exposed underlevers, I know they are easier to cock but they seem to muck up the lines of the rifle.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

No idea as they certainly look better. I have no issues with my PS, maybe not as easy cocking as the TX but I like my rifles having different mechanics, firing cycles etc. It would be boring otherwise.

I wonder why the Webley Eclipse went from a prototype concealed underlever to the standard production design? They would have been more elegant their originally intended way.

Awkward to use if employed on a sliding breech design, maybe. Thinking of the Mk.I Airsporter, it worked well because the lever was immediately closed after cocking, and loading took place with the lever closed. A sliding breech design requires that the lever be held open while loading, which is less ergonomic than with a normal underlever. I had a Pro-Sport, and would not have one again for this reason.

I had a mk1 pro/sport that I bought of a friend,and really tried to like it.
    But I always thought it awkward to cock and load.
    They are probably the best looking production rifle made imo.
    Les..

Because springers really benefit from some weight up front, and the underlevers address that in their natural format.
    Too many airguns!

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    Awkward to use if employed on a sliding breech design, maybe. Thinking of the Mk.I Airsporter, it worked well because the lever was immediately closed after cocking, and loading took place with the lever closed. A sliding breech design requires that the lever be held open while loading, which is less ergonomic than with a normal underlever. I had a Pro-Sport, and would not have one again for this reason.
    That's a fair point about the Airsporter, I like the way you can return the lever before loading the pellet but I guess that you need a sliding breech for efficiency.

I'm still a bit surprised that no manufacture has refined a concealed underlever springer to feel nice not just look nice, also it's one design that even the Chinese haven't cashed in on or copied and I just wonder why as the slot is a bit of a turn off.

I know the PS is expensive now but was it a big seller a few years back? I wonder if a cheap Chinese copy would be a big seller.

That's a fair point about the Airsporter, I like the way you can return the lever before loading the pellet...
    Even more of a shame about the Webley Eclipse prototype (yes its transfer port has 2 o-rings, so also isn't perfect).

Like many, I do like the looks of the concealed lever rifles. But there are some most excellent replies above demonstrating why their popularity dwindled re awkwardness and safety and balance; nothing to add.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

That's a fair point about the Airsporter, I like the way you can return the lever before loading the pellet but I guess that you need a sliding breech for efficiency.

I'm still a bit surprised that no manufacture has refined a concealed underlever springer to feel nice not just look nice, also it's one design that even the Chinese haven't cashed in on or copied and I just wonder why as the slot is a bit of a turn off.

I know the PS is expensive now but was it a big seller a few years back? I wonder if a cheap Chinese copy would be a big seller.
    You make an excellent point about the Chinese! I wonder why they have never copied this? An Asian manufacturer did produce a B40(I think) which was similar to an Air Arms model for a while but maybe they are reluctant to try mimicking that brand that again? Still an Airsporter copy would be interesting.Even Gamo who seem to produce a mind boggling amount of variants have not yet attempted the hidden underlever other that the Stutzen from years ago. I live in hope.