Thread: Hw45 accuracy problem ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes have read here and there difficult to manage but I m surprise with very poor group.

Dirty barrel would be my best guess, chronograph it, and if power is consistent that rules out broken spring/guide (which would be next best guess)

Or.... loose rear sight blade? They are prone to being bumped or moved due to the over lever cocking action
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

If they were made by anyone else they'd be a pig to shoot but as it's a hw it's just hard to master.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
    If they were made by anyone else they'd be a pig to shoot but as it's a hw it's just hard to master.
    I expect that sort of answer from Tony L
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    is the piston crashing / slamming when shot, ie very harsh cycle ? Ausie seal helps a lot. Also push a pellet through the barrel and check it's not coming out deformed ? Breach seal making good contact ? crap in the barrel ?

if it's mechanically OK... you need to hold it softly - when "resting" hold the pistol and rest your forearms on the rest, not the gun.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'd put a stock on it.
    HW 77K .22,Gammo Hornet .22 BSA 3-9 x 50 Night light ,HW 40 .177,Gamo Maxxim Elite .22 multi shot, Beeman P17 .177 red dot sight ,SMK CP2 co2 with Hawk 3-9 x 50.Slingshots PPMG+TTF PPMG mk 2 ott PPMG ott Original custom made solid Bronze, Number 15 of 20

Check the barrel crowning is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    .....if it's mechanically OK... you need to hold it softly - when "resting" hold the pistol and rest your forearms on the rest, not the gun.
    Exactly this!

Spring pistols generally cant be "rested", but you can rest your arms, being careful to have your wrists and hands free.
    Then you need to develop a consistent soft hold that lets the gun recoil naturally. It it just like with spring rifles, only more critical.
    Too many airguns!

I can shoot HW45s with a high level of accuracy, but it took me a long time and much research to do it,
    The secret for me was when I found out about the standard 1911 combat hold, because that is the only hold that gives any accuracy.
    Assuming you are right handed place your right hand at the bottom of the grip so that your small finger is flush with the bottom of the pistol grip. Grip the front of the pistol grip with your fingers, don't use your thumb to grip the pistol just use it to stop the pistol from slipping out of your fingers.
    Cup your left hand and rest your right hand in the open cup, don't let your left hand touch the gun.
    If you want to rest the shot, rest your right wrist only on the shooting cushion.
    Maintain the lightest possible grip on the gun, just enough so you don't drop it.

That's what works for me.
    By the way the later "Star" versions of the pistol have that enlarged elephant's foot grip which seems specifically designed to prevent the shooter from using the 1911 combat hold - no idea why they did that.