Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick BSA MEteor Barrel Question

Quick BSA MEteor Barrel Question

Hi,

Just a real quick couple of questions on BSA Meteor Barrles please:
    What is the outside diameter of a BSA Meteor barrel (are they all the same)?
    Does anyone make a slide on/adaptor silencer or air stripper for them please?
    I have googled this but the closest I am finding is Best Fittings but the Meteor is not on their charts... I am assuming its 15 or 15.5mm as I have a tube ordered at 16mm inside diameter to fit over a barrel.
    If anyone has fitted a silencer or air stripper your advice and where you purchased it from would be really helpful, thanks

I've just measured a few at an average of 15.43mm.

All the best Mick

Mick you are a star, thank you.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Yes standard is 15.5mm and S models are 17.5mm, although to my knowledge they never put the thicker section barrels on Meteors.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Does anyone make a slip on air stripper for this size of barrel? 15.5mm? I think I once bought one from a chap on here about 10 years ago... a simple steel or brass slip on with a couple of grib screws?

Looknohands, thankyou for he sizes, I am making a note of this stuff as its in no book that I have come across. Having trawled through my bits I virtually have a MK4 Meteor from bits so I can start building over the christmas holidays... quality time avoiding relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Does anyone make a slip on air stripper for this size of barrel? 15.5mm? I think I once bought one from a chap on here about 10 years ago... a simple steel or brass slip on with a couple of grib screws?
    Yes, you get them from Ramsbottom, they are called "GunTuff Silencer Adaptor 15.5mm".
    Too many airguns!

Evert thans for that you Just got them a sale, actually more than one. This will be interesting.
    Last edited by Gamocfx; 06-12-2022 at 06:26 PM.

The Meteor barrel normally has a very deep rebate bored in the muzzle and the rifling ends there. The barrel can be tapped half inch UNF to fit a male thread moderator which is quite neat. I did this to a Meteor barrel I fitted to my HW 100.

Baz
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 06-12-2022 at 06:36 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    The Meteor barrel normally has a very deep rebate bored in the muzzle and the rifling ends there. The barrel can be tapped half inch UNF to fit a male thread moderator which is quite neat. I did this to a Meteor barrel I fitted to my HW 100.

Baz
    A while back I asked a question about BSA barrels & if i remember correctly one of the replies indicated that the counterbore was machined to disguise the fact that not all bores were concentric with the barrel. So I wondered if you noticed anything odd like this when you did that one.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    A while back I asked a question about BSA barrels & if i remember correctly one of the replies indicated that the counterbore was machined to disguise the fact that not all bores were concentric with the barrel. So I wondered if you noticed anything odd like this when you did that one.
    The counterbore was also done so they could drill and tap for the front sight without being careful with not drilling through to the bore.
    This is according to an article where the BSA factory was visited to follow the production of the Meteor.
    Too many airguns!

sparko is offline One of Tiger Woods' lovers...
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    The counterbore was also done so they could drill and tap for the front sight without being careful with not drilling through to the bore.
    This is according to an article where the BSA factory was visited to follow the production of the Meteor.
    Hi, thank you for this snippet of information … I have been wondering about the BSA counterbore for 48 years! 👍
    Not sure where I`m going.....But I`ll get there someday

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    This was the group at 20 yds while I had a scope fitted.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by sparko View Post
    Hi, thank you for this snippet of information … I have been wondering about the BSA counterbore for 48 years! 👍
    Glad to help spread correct information as this has been debated to death on the forums...
    You can read the source of the information here:
    http://www.shellysguns.co.uk/images/...rgun_World.pdf
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Glad to help spread correct information as this has been debated to death on the forums...
    You can read the source of the information here:
    http://www.shellysguns.co.uk/images/...rgun_World.pdf
    Superb reference material Evert well done.
    Going off thread, the part about the transfer port enlargement does not match my experience with my Mk4. This winter I shall try to reproduce my tuning experiments and shall record before and after figures with the port enlarged to 1/8 of an inch.
    Perhaps BSA set the port to match an output of 9fpe and the Meteor can cope if raised to 11.

P.S how's your weather, we are about to face a cold spell (panic stations all round)