Thread: Webley MK1 sights - windage?

Webley MK1 sights - windage?

I'm interested in picking up a straight grip MK1 - but I'm concerned that from the photos I've seen the sights don't look to have windage adjustment.
    Can anyone familiar please advise?

Your observation is correct - the Webley Mark I pistol did not have windage adjustment.

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    I'm interested in picking up a straight grip MK1 - but I'm concerned that from the photos I've seen the sights don't look to have windage adjustment.
    Can anyone familiar please advise?
    As only small adjustments are usually required, the hole for the rear sight blade retaining screw can be opened using a needle file to allow for some windage adjustment. I wouldn’t normally recommend modifying original parts, but I like to shoot my pistols so this is what I would do if the pistol were mine. The alternative would be to make a replacement blade which you file to suit yourself.

Brian

Thanks chaps.
    Yes, thinking about it It would be easy to make a new blade with the notch offset the required amount. Or even making up a blade with a left-right movable section to give the windage adjustment. The blade wouldn't look standard but then the standard could be retained if the gun wanted going back to original condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    Thanks chaps.
    Yes, thinking about it It would be easy to make a new blade with the notch offset the required amount. Or even making up a blade with a left-right movable section to give the windage adjustment. The blade wouldn't look standard but then the standard could be retained if the gun wanted going back to original condition.
    That's the answer rather than adapting the original.

Years ago, I had a Mark I that shot way over to one side, so I bought a blank rearsight blade with no notch, then filed a new one, while retaining the original blade under the grip to ensure it stayed with the pistol. I think I bought the blank from John Knibbs but this was some 30 years ago and it may have been Dennis Hiller. I don't fully recall.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

These aren't precision pieces, so maybe just aim off a bit and keep everything original. Most Mk1s l have owned shoot to point of aim at the intended ranges, so probably little if any windage adjustment would be required.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    These aren't precision pieces, so maybe just aim off a bit and keep everything original. Most Mk1s l have owned shoot to point of aim at the intended ranges, so probably little if any windage adjustment would be required.

Brian
    Hi Bob, I agree with Brian’s comment above as it isn’t exactly a Steyr or a Pardini 😉
    I’ve got a wee Junior model, and old one, which is not dissimilar and shoots lovely and if necessary I just guess the ‘adjustment’ and shoot accordingly. Btw if anyone knows of a source of those wee dome like ‘Cat’ slugs I’d be very grateful to know. A’ the best, Graeme