Thread: UK law on shipping airguns?

UK law on shipping airguns?

I'm trying to find out whether it is legal in the UK for a private individual to ship a sub-12ft lb airgun to another private individual and have had various conflicting advice. One gun shop told me that they have to go through a RFD even between private individuals, another gun shop told me that they send and receive airguns from and to customers for servicing - via Parcel Force - every day with no issues. Also, Parcel Force's own rules state that low-power airguns and lead pellets are excepted from their prohibited items.

I have looked on the UK .gov website and can't find anything regarding shipping on there, and phoned my local police HQ and they didn't know either.

Can anyone link me to a reliable source of information? I'm so confused! Help!

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by R3XXY; 07-12-2022 at 05:58 PM.

Smile

It's perfectly legal to post a sub 12 air rifle to someone else. Parcel force 48 is the correct service to use. Done this many times myself. Hope that helps mate

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Here you go, but basically your RFDs are talking out their ass - it's perfectly legal to post a uk legal air gun in the following ways - the main one being PF48hr express at a post office counter. The insurance is limited to £100 on this service, even if you pay extra, so don't

Posting rules for the UK for low powered firearms.

You can only use Royal Mail 1st class, Royal mail Special Delivery or ParcelForce 48 Express. No other courier as far as I know from experience will carry low powered firearms between private individuals within the United Kingdom.

1. For UK legal airguns and air pistols. (Sub 12ftlb rifles and Sub 6ftlb air pistols that are classed as low powered firearms)
    2. Between private individuals only. No trade.
    3. These rules do not apply to other types of firearms or RIF's (Realistic Imitation Firearms.)
    4. This guide is for the use of private sellers on the AGF when selling UK legal Air Rifles and Air Pistols via the use of the Sales section.

Basically this only applies to private individuals who are buying and selling between other private individuals in England and Wales. There are more considerations for Scotland to think about but I will go into that later.

So you are selling (or buying) an air rifle or air pistol on here (or anywhere actually via distance) and you are willing to post said low powered firearm. This is what you need to know.

Firstly all you need to know is that said buyer is over 18 years of age. Ask said buyer the question or state in your advert that you only sell to persons over the age of 18. You can if you wish ask for proof but it is not needed but if you feel it is safer doing so then ask. But not all buyers are willing to give anything except their name and address and their word that they are over 18 years of age.

Secondly you must pack the airgun carefully. Use as much padding around the actual item as you can possibly do. And then pack that in a strong suitably sized cardboard box. Preferably a box inside a box. You do want the item to get to the buyer safely and the buyer wants the item intact too. Couriers are notorious for not caring what is inside a package when they are throwing it about. I normally take digital photos of my packing stages and the final package for the sake of claims for damage etc. And always makes sure you write the address down on the package and not just a label. Labels come off in transit.

Now, depending on the size and weight of the airgun to be posted, you have a choice of two services. And that is all you have. They are the only two recognized postal services we can use in the UK. Obviously you can pay your RFD to send to another RFD but this guide is for the UK Postal services between private individuals.

If you follow the rules exactly, all low powered firearms must be sent using these methods only and presented in person at a Post Office Counter. This will allow any claim to be correctly handled if the need arises.

Lets start with Royal Mail first.
    For a small pistol or even a small light rifle with action separated from the stock you can use RM. But follow the sizing rules below.

Small Parcel
    Max length: 45cm
    Max width: 35cm
    Max depth: 16cm
    Max weight: 2kg

This allows you to send a parcel via Royal Mail 1st class (signed for) or Royal Mail Special Delivery (RMSD) using a small parcel. The choice is yours depending on the cover of insurance you require. RMSD gives you up to £1000* cover if lost or damaged. *Depending on the RMSD service you have chosen.
    *With options to pay for increased insurance cover up to £2500.

Medium Parcel
    Max length: 61cm
    Max width: 46cm
    Max depth: 46cm
    Max weight: 20kg
    This allows you to send a bigger parcel using RMSD only with a parcel size no longer than 61cm but up to 20kg in weight. Again with up to £1000 insurance cover (with options to increase the insurance cover to £2500). Sometimes your rifle and stock can be taken apart and put in the same box and this service will do for that.

ParcelForce 48 Express. (PF48)

For rifles longer than the above 61cm's you have to use ParcelForce 48 Express presented at a Post Office counter if you want the insurance cover to be valid.

Large Parcel
    Max length: 150cm
    Max weight: 30kg
    Be aware that the maximum insurance cover you can claim for a PF48 parcel is £100 only. The Post Office counter person might try and sell you a service of PF with a greater insurance cover but you will not gain anything over £100 because it is in their T&C's for low powered firearms carriage.

From the PF website:
    Arms and Ammunition All firearms, other than low-powered air weapons sent within the UK (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), including imitations and antiques; paint-ball or toy guns; taser guns; components of firearms and all other items similar to, or resembling, the foregoing are prohibited. All ammunition other than lead pellets and other air gun and airsoft projectiles is also prohibited. No No

Here is the main rule from the Royal Mail and it also pertains to Parcelforce 48. This the definitive rule and this can also be seen from the links provided below. And note what it says about PCP type air rifles. They must be empty of air. That is all. They can be sent as long as it's empty of air in the main pressure tube. It is them merely a metal tube.

Guns for sporting use
    International - Allowed in the mail, see restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
    Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 and Section 2 firearms, low-powered air guns and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to applicable export controls on the shipment of firearms.
    Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.
    Guns must not be loaded.
    Air weapons with an integral gas cylinder that are de-pressurised can only be accepted. Air weapons with gas cylinders that are pressurised are prohibited
    Air weapons with a pressurised removable gas cylinder which is still attached are prohibited
    Sender's name and address must be visible on the parcel.
    Must be packed in rigid outer packaging suitable for the gun size and weight, for example a fibreboard box, with sufficient inner packaging to prevent movement during transport.
    UK - Allowed in the mail, see restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
    Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation.
    Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.
    Use 1st Class as the minimum service.The senders name and address must be clear on the packaging. Low-powered air weapons which exceed the Royal Mail size restrictions are accepted by Parcelforce Worldwide, using express48 via the Post Office.
    Guns must not be loaded.
    Air weapons with an integral gas cylinder that are de-pressurised can only be accepted. Air weapons with gas cylinders that are pressurised are prohibited
    Air weapons with a pressurised removable gas cylinder which is still attached are prohibited
    Must be packed in rigid outer packaging suitable for the gun size and weight, for example a fibreboard box, with sufficient inner packaging to prevent movement during transport.
    And from the RM prohibitions list:

** The above Guns for Sporting use Prohibition means ParcelForce only accept low powered firearms (Air Rifles sub 12fltb and air pistols sub 6ftlb) and not any of the others mentioned above.**

Now a common problem people find is that when they present a parcel to the nice lady (or man) at the Post Office counter and said person asks what is inside the parcel, they might find that said counter person is misinformed or ignorant of the rules of the company they work for or represent. This is quite common. For your sake I suggest just saying "Tools" or something similar. That way the counter person does not get a panic attack. It really does not matter what you have told them. If you have followed the above advice and information, you will be covered for any claim if the item goes missing or is damaged. I say this from experience because they do not record it anywhere after you have told the post office counter person. But ideally you are best being truthful and hopefully you will have a person there who does know the rules.

You can also use third party companies like parcelmonkey and others to pay (at a discount) for your PF48 consignment and take it to the Post Office counter too. They just scan it in from there. This can be cheaper. But to be covered by the insurance you really must declare what is in the package.

Now some other important information worth knowing about. If for instance you are sending a pistol from Cornwall to Aberdeen there is a good chance said parcel will get x-ray'd at some point due to the fact that it just might go via air and some anxious over zealous examiner might flag your air pistol up for investigation. This can lead to losing your airgun for many months whilst it is sent away for investigation. For times like that I would suggest using PF48 as they tend to travel by road. I have not personally had this happen to me yet and I have sent many parcels North of the border. But it has happened to some.

One other thing you must also consider if selling to a person residing in Scotland is that they are required by law to be in possession of a Scottish Air Weapons Certificate. It would be very prudent of you to obtain a photocopy of this AWC if you are selling to someone in Scotland for your own records.

Another important thing you should know is that if you are sending a co2 air pistol, do not include any co2 carts as they are forbidden. You just might lose your package doing that as it does break their rules. If sending a co2 pistol, check you haven't left a co2 cart in the pistol.

Oh and one more thing. If you really want peace of mind you can send your low powered firearm through your local RFD (gunshop) to the nearest one to the buyer but there is normally a double cost to this from both RFD's which makes this method expensive. But it is the safest way.

Final point to note: the sender is responsible for any claims against the courier. Obviously the seller can insist that they will only send the parcel at the buyers risk and will only refund on completion of a successful claim. And that they will only refund the selected amount, ie £100 in regard to PF48. The buyer must agree or not agree to that if the airgun is higher priced.

Details below for both RM and PF:

Royal mail guidelines below - there are also separate size restrictions, so really only suitable for pistols 90% of the time, otherwise use PF48hr Express.

• UK - Allowed in the mail, see restrictions and packaging guidelines below:

o Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation.
    o Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.
    o Use 1st Class as the minimum service. The senders name and address must be clear on the packaging. Low-powered air weapons which exceed the Royal Mail size restrictions are accepted by Parcelforce Worldwide, using express48 via the Post Office.
    o Guns must not be loaded.
    o Air weapons with an integral gas cylinder that are de-pressurised can only be accepted. Air weapons with gas cylinders that are pressurised are prohibited
    o Air weapons with a pressurised removable gas cylinder which is still attached are prohibited
    o Must be packed in rigid outer packaging suitable for the gun size and weight, for example a fibreboard box, with sufficient inner packaging to prevent movement during transport.

• Parcel Force:

Still some restrictions in length - 120cm, but can take most rifles/pistols, highlight what it is on the packaging rather than hide it - I've always included it discreetly on the label to cover this.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by R3XXY View Post
    I'm trying to find out whether it is legal in the UK for a private individual to ship a sub-12ft lb airgun to another private individual and have had various conflicting advice. One gun shop told me that they have to go through a RFD even between private individuals, another gun shop told me that they send and receive airguns from and to customers for servicing - via Parcel Force - every day with no issues. Also, Parcel Force's own rules state that low-power airguns and lead pellets are excepted from their prohibited items.

I have looked on the UK .gov website and can't find anything regarding shipping on there, and phoned my local police HQ and they didn't know either.

Can anyone link me to a reliable source of information? I'm so confused! Help!

Thanks in advance.
    RFD's can make money by charging £25 to ship/receive an airgun so they don't like the public to know they can post direct within the law subject to a few rules, like no pressure in a pcp & never ever include CO2 caplets.

Also dealers/manufacturers/parts suppliers are limited by the VCR act as to what they can post, they can only post some parts to another dealer, whereas a member of the public can post a complete rifle door to door.

A dealer/manufacturer can however return a rifle posted to them by the owner, directly back to that owner.

Full details will be somewhere in the VCR act.

Jesim1 above is Incorrect in stating that insurance cover can be increased Airguns are among the many items that are excluded from enhanced insurance cover, even if you pay for it you will only have the basic cover given by the service,
    You must also note it is RMSD 1pm that has a minimum £500 cover, RMSD 9am only has £50 minimum.
    I am still aw a reply as to whether the the 3 levels of cover quoted in the price guide RMOP44 for RMSD, apply to items, like guns, otherwise excluded from enhanced cover.
    Last edited by angrybear; 08-12-2022 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks chaps.

Given that the thread is two years old, it's essential to verify the information since regulations can change over time. When it comes to shipping airguns in the UK, it's advisable to consult the most recent sources and reach out to relevant authorities or organizations for up-to-date guidance. For the latest information on shipping airguns in the UK, you can visit apostillelondon.com for additional resources. Additionally, consider checking the official website of the UK government or contacting organizations like the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) for the most current regulations.
    Last edited by LiamPullman; 18-01-2024 at 07:40 PM.

As a member of the trade, Parcel force have now said to us that all guns (airguns, rifles, shotguns, air pistols) have to go via PF Next Day AM and have no air in cylinder, the inside of the box must have the address of the sender inside and the outside must be labelled addressee only do not fly.

Air rifle stocks are also considered as firearms now by parcel force and they have to go on the same service.

We have had cases "seized" and had to go and claim them from the main hub as things were sent wrongly.

It is true private individuals can send to each other on sub 12ft airguns, and we can send repairs direct back and have repairs sent to us.

Parcelforce website still states to use 48 to ship air rifles so until that changes I won’t be using the 24 as I can’t find evidence to say it’s the one to use?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    Parcelforce website still states to use 48 to ship air rifles so until that changes I won’t be using the 24 as I can’t find evidence to say it’s the one to use?
    Remember trade terms and public terms are different, so it’s feasible they allow different services depending on if you’re a company or private individual, even if it sounds illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Remember trade terms and public terms are different, so it’s feasible they allow different services depending on if you’re a company or private individual, even if it sounds illogical.
    Yes I fully agree with you there bud although this thread is only aimed at the private sales of private users sending air rifles so what the trade has to do as no bearing here and I don’t want someone to get caught out following some wrong info.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    Yes I fully agree with you there bud although this thread is only aimed at the private sales of private users sending air rifles so what the trade has to do as no bearing here and I don’t want someone to get caught out following some wrong info.
    Yes, my comment was purely after the Gunshops one (Trade), clarifying as they did that there are different rules depending if your a company or private. The sticky, highlighted in post #2 clarified personal shipping clearly. Helps where people wonder why their gun ‘package’ from the likes of Henry Krank etc turn up with a Parcel Force 24hr label on them, whereas for private individuals via Post Office counters it is PF Express 48 (or RM Spec Del).

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Yes, my comment was purely after the Gunshops one (Trade), clarifying as they did that there are different rules depending if your a company or private. The sticky, highlighted in post #2 clarified personal shipping clearly. Helps where people wonder why their gun ‘package’ from the likes of Henry Krank etc turn up with a Parcel Force 24hr label on them, whereas for private individuals via Post Office counters it is PF Express 48 (or RM Spec Del).
    Yes sorry I was I wasn’t aiming it at you and yes your right the sticky is perfect 👌

It would be nice to have the fact confirmed but I was told that compensation for PF48 hrs has been increased to £150.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    It would be nice to have the fact confirmed but I was told that compensation for PF48 hrs has been increased to £150.
    My local post office told me the same thing, said it came at the same time as the price rise.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    All you have to do is look at their web site