Occasionally, I watch some of the shooting videos on Youtube, a number of which are interesting and informative.

I haver just watched this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyTZGOMSMUk

Airgun Pellet Speed Power Test: 0 to 50m .22 +.177- FPS + FT LBS - from AirgunGearShow.

It tells us that the ft/lbs loss of a 177 pellet is greater than that for a 22 - something that many of us already knew. However, it also explains - and this I found most interesting - that a 22 with a lighter pellet v a 22 with a heavier pellet (the same applies for 177), will result in the lighter pellet losing its energy (in ft/lb) so fast that this has already made an impact within 5m of the shot leaving the barrel.

Here is an example: Using Superdomes (14.5g) the ft/lbs is 10.83 at the point of leaving the barrel and the JSB Exacts (15.9g) are 10.82 ft/lbs at the point of leaving the barrel. However, at 5m, the S.domes have fallen behind already, at 9.57ft/lbs whereas the Exacts are at 10.39ft lbs. By the time we reach 40m, the S.Domes are recording 5.54ft/lbs against 7.05 ft/lbs for the Exacts.

It is worth watching this 12 min video.

It would be interesting to know how the trajectories vary and if there is a cross-over point, at which the lighter pellet falls below the heavier pellet in its trajectory. I wonder if any reader can advise? Many people buy the lighter pellets, such a S.Domes, because they expect the trajectory to be flatter than with a heavier pellet such as Exacts or AA, for example. But this might be an error, if the lighter pellet demonstrates a more curved trajectory.

Rgds
A