Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder recommendations for .38 special revolver loads.

Powder recommendations for .38 special revolver loads.

I’m looking for some powder to start loading for .38 special, using a 12” barrel Taurus revolver.

I’m going to be shooting gallery rifle, at 25m max, so I’d need to be downloading the cartridge.

I have some unique powder but was advised that this will probably be too slow burning to use effectively, as I would need to put lots in, which would result in unnecessary recoil etc.

So, I’m after a fast burning powder, I have GM3, which I use for lever action .44 mag, this is quite dirty, so not best for a pistol.

I was advised to get CSB5, N310 or N320 but my local shop doesn’t have any of them.

So if anyone has any suggestions for a good commonly available powder for pistol loads that would be great, thanks!
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22/BRNO Model 2/Remington 597/Buckmark/Marlin.44

I used to use 3.2 grains of red dot behind a 148gr hbwc.
    This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! Adolph Hitler – 1933

I can give you load data from the Hornady manual if it is of use. What gr bullets will you be using?

"Commonly available" in reality is vhit- but like everything else, is in short supply.

The vhit website has data - check out the cowboy load section for downloaded data.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/

Unique, 5gn, makes a nice easy load. Good in a rifle too.

But also Bullseye, around 4-4.5gn or so. About the same omph as the above (that's the technical term) and a bit dirtier but around 10% more shots per pound of powder

This is all with a 158gn GM Hardcast RNFP bullet.
    Last edited by sarge4318; 31-12-2022 at 11:00 AM. Reason: add the bullet.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    I can give you load data from the Hornady manual if it is of use. What gr bullets will you be using?

"Commonly available" in reality is vhit- but like everything else, is in short supply.

The vhit website has data - check out the cowboy load section for downloaded data.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/
    Thanks for the link, I’ll be starting out with 158gr tc bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    Unique, 5gn, makes a nice easy load. Good in a rifle too.

But also Bullseye, around 4-4.5gn or so. About the same omph as the above (that's the technical term) and a bit dirtier but around 10% more shots per pound of powder

This is all with a 158gn GM Hardcast RNFP bullet.
    Thanks for the info. So unique should be good to start with?

Should I start with around 4.5gn of this and work up in .2gn increments to find a load that my pistol likes?

Cheers

https://imgur.com/a/NrGEv6C

This is for a 4" barrel.

https://imgur.com/a/NrGEv6C

This is for a 4" barrel.
    Thanks, how should I change or take into account the difference in barrel lengths? Is it a case of adding powder due to my 12” barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
    Thanks, how should I change or take into account the difference in barrel lengths? Is it a case of adding powder due to my 12” barrel?
    This is a question beyond my pay grade but can take an educated guess.

I would have thought you needed less powder, as the longer barrel gives more time for the burn to propel the bullet through the barrel.

Someone above said Unique 5gn - which is close to the max in the Hornady table (at a 4" barrel). Perhaps start at the low end of the table (600fps) which is 3.9gn of Unique, and chrono it. Does your range have a max energy requirement? Do the maths - and see where you need to be fps wise. Every gun is different - so you will need to make some test loads and find what works best for you. This published Hornady data is tested - so it is a good starting point no matter what powder you use.

Also - please do get a consensus from other shooters before trying any load rather than relying on a single rando like myself. While I do understand the principles behind it - i'm still no expert.

I'd be interested to know how you get on as i'm getting a 38/357 under lever sometime soon. Personally i'm going to be using N340 once I start reloading this calibre. I've pretty much stuck with Vhit powders for all my reloading as it is "European" and i'm confident will be available in the future

I use red dot for both taurus and Henry rifle, use 158gn for the rifle and 148gn wc for pistol.
    Would advise to use 357mag cases rather than 38sp. So you don't get carbon build up in the Chambers.
    Pm me if u want recipes. Red dot quite easy to get in gunshops.
    J
    Steyr LP10, AA S200 .177,
    Remmy Express .177, Sig Sauer P226- .177
    Crosman Rabbitstopper- .22, Chinese XS36-1- .22

This is a question beyond my pay grade but can take an educated guess.

I would have thought you needed less powder, as the longer barrel gives more time for the burn to propel the bullet through the barrel.

Someone above said Unique 5gn - which is close to the max in the Hornady table (at a 4" barrel). Perhaps start at the low end of the table (600fps) which is 3.9gn of Unique, and chrono it. Does your range have a max energy requirement? Do the maths - and see where you need to be fps wise. Every gun is different - so you will need to make some test loads and find what works best for you. This published Hornady data is tested - so it is a good starting point no matter what powder you use.

Also - please do get a consensus from other shooters before trying any load rather than relying on a single rando like myself. While I do understand the principles behind it - i'm still no expert.

I'd be interested to know how you get on as i'm getting a 38/357 under lever sometime soon. Personally i'm going to be using N340 once I start reloading this calibre. I've pretty much stuck with Vhit powders for all my reloading as it is "European" and i'm confident will be available in the future
    Thanks for the detailed reply, yes my range does have a max energy requirement, I will look into that. I’ll test it over a chrono when I borrow one as I don’t have my own.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehoolio View Post
    I use red dot for both taurus and Henry rifle, use 158gn for the rifle and 148gn wc for pistol.
    Would advise to use 357mag cases rather than 38sp. So you don't get carbon build up in the Chambers.
    Pm me if u want recipes. Red dot quite easy to get in gunshops.
    J
    Interesting, I was advised to use.38 cases as they’re quicker to load under time constraints, but I take your point re the carbon buildup.

Have a look at a powder burnrate chart to see what is close to N310 etc.
    Have a look at Ramshot and Lovex powders.
    Vectan BA10 or AS are great for 38 special if you can find some
    Last edited by mag44uk; 03-01-2023 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    Have a look at a powder burnrate chart to see what is close to N310 etc.
    Have a look at Ramshot and Lovex powders.
    Vectan BA10 or AS are great for 38 special if you can find some
    Thanks for the tip, I’ve never heard of a powder burn rate chart before!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I’ve never heard of a powder burn rate chart before!
    Do not rely on it. Use proven and tested loads from a manual.