Thread: Webley Osprey Question

Webley Osprey Question

The later Osprey Supertargets were fitted with a Williams peep sight and given the designation 'Army Model', do any of the wise sages on the forum know why?
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

I don’t believe it was necessarily the “later models”, as the Anschutz diopter sights were still standard fitment for the Osprey ST when it finished production. I don’t know for certain but I’ve read somewhere that the “Army Model” was some sort of factory special.

I’m sure wiser people will be along that have the full story.

Cheers
    Greg

The Anschutz is much more of a precision sight that the Williams, but the Williams is probably more robust than the Anschutz. If they were, like some Meteors, aimed at Cadet forces, then the simpler, more robust sight would make sense.

It was this advert that mentioned "late in the production run", it's the only bit of information I have seen about it.

https://timdysonairguns.co.uk/produc...le-sn-pw-2574/

The Army version was made to cut costs. It wasnt very popular. Webley had earlier made a prototype army version of the Osprey with a stock like the SLR rifle used by the army with dummy magazine and all. One was sold at the Webley auction (and so says the Webley book)
    ATB,
    yana

Very interesting, thanks yana!

I must have some Webley DNA, as I have bought a Williams sight for mine to cut out the cost of a 'proper' diopter sight!