Thread: Milbro G55

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)

Milbro G55

A little New Year surprise.

Found this catalogue for sale. Its a Milbro catalogue of the 1950s, dated only by the other rifles and scopes on sale, I reckon it must be c. 1955-19601 or so. It has a single page advertising the G55, the only advert I think I have ever seen for this sort lived underlever:

https://imgur.com/MNjg2jm

The Milbro G55 is a bit of a rarity, a sort of copy of the rea Diana 50 series, but just lesser quality. the short life of the G55 is explicable if they are asking £15/12/6 at this time. According to Chris Thrale's' book a Mk III was £14 in 1952 and £21 in 1965! The G55 is really not comparable in quality and would have represented a major investment. Interesting too tht it shows its real name, the 'Super Express'.

Thanks - that's an outstanding image with some very interesting info.

Milbro's other "Diana" guns were of course directly derived from pre-war German ones, so I've wondered if the G55 was related to the old model 30 military trainer. The post-war German Diana 50 also takes some cues from the model 30, but is a significantly larger gun with the then-new ball-sear trigger, etc.

nice looking rifle

All the airgun content in this wonderful catalogue here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....res/#post-7900
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

A slightly later catalogue numbered 118 is dated 1962-63 Season and also includes the Super Express.

What a 'super' name btw. I owned one for a while and while that was in beautiful condition, accuracy was not as good. Maybe a rogue model and maybe I'll give it another chance if another comes my way as it really is a lovely looking rifle.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.