Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New bsa meteor super...

Quote Originally Posted by TVRGREG View Post
    The end cap on the new Birmingham made super meteor is alloy.
    Crazy, I actually didn't feel it when I handled the rifle but it really did look plastic and guys in shop thought the same but good to hear its alloy.

No but i am in the trade.
    Guess we are many on here that would love to see pictures of one stripped down, to see how much Gamo heritage this gun really has
    Too many airguns!

Quick review from our friends over the pond , interesting comment's about the trigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3D5tL48wYw
    BSA SUPERSPORT .22
    Ripley ar5s .177
    Steyr challenge hft 177 SYWELL FT CLUB

Yes, just watched it. The trigger is probably like the one fitted to the lightning xl se. It can be sorted as I pointed out earlier. Nice to know the comb hight is too hi for open sights, perfect for a scope!!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

25mm cylinder, gamo trigger unit.

25mm cylinder, gamo trigger unit.
    Thanks!
    Too many airguns!

Now on macavoys website, £289 pounds or so (can't remember exactly)
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Any update on these?

I'd be interested in one but I keep finding poor reviews from the states. Poor accuracy has cropped up a few times, hard air review shows dodgy groups at 15 yards, also watched a video review of the rammer version, that wasn't grouping well either. Would love to hear from someone who actually owns a UK version.

Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    Any update on these?

I'd be interested in one but I keep finding poor reviews from the states. Poor accuracy has cropped up a few times, hard air review shows dodgy groups at 15 yards, also watched a video review of the rammer version, that wasn't grouping well either. Would love to hear from someone who actually owns a UK version.
    Would be nice if someone knowledgeable could take one apart, show us the internals, and push a pellet through the bore.
    BSA have made a lot of "reverse choked" barrels on the breakbarrels, and it would be nice to know if they still do.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Would be nice if someone knowledgeable could take one apart, show us the internals, and push a pellet through the bore.
    BSA have made a lot of "reverse choked" barrels on the breakbarrels, and it would be nice to know if they still do.
    Yeah I was in the mindset of buying one of these jyst because its british made. Some of the yank acciracy reviews have scuppered that. Unfortunately I'm not the person to buy one and take it apart.

My first gun was a BSA Meteor back in the very early 80's. Loved it back then so I would have loved one of these but as others have said the early reviews have put me off

I think the difficulties with accuracy can mainly be attributed to the trigger. If it has a lot of drag on the "second" stage then that won't help especially with a light rifle. If its like my lightning xl se this can be fettled. The barrels are the usual BSA offering and bar any reverse choke should be as good as any other out there.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    At £399 for one... What nutcase is going to buy one?
    Dressed in the same Minelli stock as an HW99 - can anyone tell me where the £100 added value is?

I went to go buy one today to try, £295 at my local rfd and I wanted to try a bsa, to be fair they just don't shoulder nice to me and look off, I mean the cylinder looks odd in the stock as its like the wood at sides of action is like 15mm and looks off lol then there's the end cap that I feel is aluminium after another hold of one and the plastic gamo sights.....also cocking is graunchy as can be.

I've been to look at one today at Geoff Wilsons in Carlisle (a cracking little shop). Made direct comparisons with the HW99, 95, BSA Supersport, lightening, UK made Comet and Gamo hunter.

The price was £300 so right into HW99 territory. My first impression was really good, I actually like the stock and it was clearly high quality. The meteor shouldered well and despite review comments to the contrary, the cheek piece was just the right height. I could line up the excellent fibre optic sights perfectly and yet the comb felt raised high enough for me to be confident that it would suit a scope nicely too.

The stock seems a little short, but the gun shouldered well, felt balanced and the trigger was positioned perfect - unlike the HW99 which felt about 5mm to far forward.

Having all the above guns on a rack in front of me
    I was able to make direct comparisons and unfortunately it was at this point I realised the meteor was up against stiff competition with the 99s. The blueing was OK but not as deep as the weirauchs, the trigger is plastic and other than the quality stock the rest if the gun did not have the same quality feel as the 99s. Unfortunately the shop didn't have room today out back for me to fire it and feel the trigger, but I did get to make a direct comparison by almost fully cocking it and the 99. The 99 was smooth and the BSA, well it just felt gnarly. Maybe this is lack of grease or maybe weirauch have a trick up their sleeve making guns leaving the factory just to feel smooth in the shop, but fact is there was no comparison. I'm not someone who buys a gun and immediately feels the urge to upgrade it, but unless that smoothed out fast I'd be wanting a kit in it ASAP.

The rfd showed me the Comet, explaining it was the same mechanics but in a synthetic stock and a £100 cheaper! We noticed the stock on the Comet was from the same mould as one of the Gamos, so I suspect there is plenty of parts sharing going on and much of the gun is from Gamo.

The upshot of all this is I didn't buy one. I thought it a nice gun that would benefit some tweaking but at £300 the HW99s just seemed far better quality. The Meteor Super was nice, but without looking at the price tag I'd have valued it as a £225-250 tops, it seems quite expensive yet built to a budget.
    Last edited by capt hindsight; 26-01-2023 at 08:46 PM.