Thread: Which was patented first? The Cox Britannia or Lincoln Jefferies?

Which was patented first? The Cox Britannia or Lincoln Jefferies?

Curious I assume it is the Cox 1902 patent?

I'm wondering what the Cox patent actually covers as the Britannia is basically a well made Gem pattern.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I'm wondering what the Cox patent actually covers as the Britannia is basically a well made Gem pattern.

All the best Mick
    The trigger being separated from the body? We’re the Gems ever patented in the UK?

It was the Cox 1902 model that was patented first.

Patent No 15702 of 1902 was for the cylindrical air chamber forming the body of the airgun, containing a hollow reciprocating plunger (piston) with the spring within it. Also, a thrust rod (spring guide) with a fixed abutment for the rear end of the mainspring, a cocking lever carrying the trigger and an integral trigger guard. The patent additionally allowed for two or more sear engagements for varying levels of power and having the stock fixed on top of the air cylinder.

The above features were also used on the Cox Britannia from 1905.

Although they look similar, the Cox 1902 model should not really be called a Britannia as the name was not used until 1905 and the 1902 models were not stamped with the Britannia name.

I've never seen a contemporary advert for the 1902 model. Does anyone know of one?

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

The basic Gem layout was a much earlier Haviland & Gunn patent eventually purchased by Quackenbush.

The Lincoln Jeffries 1904 patent covered the scheme of fixed barrel with separate cocking lever connected to the piston.

Don R.

** Edited in light of John's post above that was not visible when I originally wrote this.
    Last edited by draitzer; 02-06-2023 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks excellent info.

We’re these the first rifled air rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    We’re these the first rifled air rifles?
    Hi Steve,

I believe the first British air rifle was the Lanes Musketeer (albeit not all were rifled) as the Cox 1902 model wasn't rifled.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Steve, as I think I noted on some other post about rifling, for sure Quackenbush had rifled barrels before 1890 - others may have also.
    Presumably your question applies to spring guns, as there were plenty of early pneumatics (also Giffards) with rifling.

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Steve, as I think I noted on some other post about rifling, for sure Quackenbush had rifled barrels before 1890 - others may have also.
    Presumably your question applies to spring guns, as there were plenty of early pneumatics (also Giffards) with rifling.

Don R.
    Were the Quackenbush rifled guns, the rifles that shot 22 shorts and pellets? Easy to forget about Giffards cause they tend to be priced out of my wheel house. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Were the Quackenbush rifled guns, the rifles that shot 22 shorts and pellets? Easy to forget about Giffards cause they tend to be priced out of my wheel house. Lol
    Quackenbush #5 combination guns were rifled, but could also be ordered as smoothbore air-only for darts. Their push-barrel models were rifled, with the felted slug developed to be used in them.

>> In addition to Giffards, don't forget air canes, Girandonis, and a vast array of other air-powered rifles and pistols of earlier times.

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Quackenbush #5 combination guns were rifled, but could also be ordered as smoothbore air-only for darts. Their push-barrel models were rifled, with the felted slug developed to be used in them.

>> In addition to Giffards, don't forget air canes, Girandonis, and a vast array of other air-powered rifles and pistols of earlier times.

Don R.
    The Blue Book of Airguns has all the models of the Quackenbush push-barrels as smooth bores?