Thread: Transitional BSA Meteors

Transitional BSA Meteors

OK, this one is for us who obsess about details...
    But as mk1 1-5 Birmingham made Meteors seem to accumulate in my collection, I start to notice details some people may find irrelevant.

One of them is documented in Tom Gaylords blog about the Meteor, which clearly shows the Mk5 trigger, rear sight and piston, combined with the cocking lever from the earlier Mk's:
    https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013...meteor-part-2/

On the Mk5's I've seen personally, theres always the articulated linkage.
    Could the gun shown in the blog be a transitional version, using up old parts while introducing the new Mk changes?
    Too many airguns!

Yes Evert My Mk5 has an articulated cocking arm and my Mk4 has a solid arm and a piston head with circlip, except the circlip is different to the one shown. Mine is a minute circular item with a cut which touches when not in situ. You have to slip it over the end of the piston head shaft and push down and into the groove.
    Also my Mk5 has a keyway head and piston as do the two Mk3s I am currently working on. So BSA swapped piston head styles around over the years of MK3,4 and 5 and must have been using up solid cocking arms for the Mk5 unless some one retro fitted one to this. If they did they would have had to lengthen the slot. I suppose the factory could have done it to use up some older stocks.
    That piston head did not come from Scorpion pistol, the cylinder is wider.

Aye, I've got a transitional mongrel too -I have a a Mk II (according to serial, and as per general appointments) with the old Meteor 'flying chevron' logo stamped to the fore of the cylinder.
    But it has the standard scope grooves of the Mk III, rather than the 'crimped' examples of typical Mk I & Mk II. (no ''Meteor' lettering between the scope grooves).

It's also popping out just over 9ftlbs with standard BSA Meteor spring and shot to shot consistency is remarkable
    Dreadfully heavy trigger though! (and its a Mk1 type trigger!) Despite much effort on my part, cannot get it to be entirely usable..
    I need to find a way to sort that, and enjoy it more ...

Quote Originally Posted by sjd63 View Post
    Aye, I've got a transitional mongrel too -I have a a Mk II (according to serial, and as per general appointments) with the old Meteor 'flying chevron' logo stamped to the fore of the cylinder.
    But it has the standard scope grooves of the Mk III, rather than the 'crimped' examples of typical Mk I & Mk II. (no ''Meteor' lettering between the scope grooves).

It's also popping out just over 9ftlbs with standard BSA Meteor spring and shot to shot consistency is remarkable
    Dreadfully heavy trigger though! (and its a Mk1 type trigger!) Despite much effort on my part, cannot get it to be entirely usable..
    I need to find a way to sort that, and enjoy it more ...
    I have a Mk2 with the exact same logo and 11mm scope grooves as well. They are the later incarnations of the Mk2.
    Too many airguns!

BSA did have a habit of using earlier mark parts in later mark guns. We have seen Airsporter MK 2's with MK 1 parts in and a few other anomalies

i had a lovely mk2 wish id kept it

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    I have a Mk2 with the exact same logo and 11mm scope grooves as well. They are the later incarnations of the Mk2.
    Thanks for confirming.
    I did suspect it might be.

I really want to get the trigger lighter, that might be my early summer project.
    It is just heavy enough (on a bad day!) to affect accuracy, and reduce pleasure.

Might cut some coils off.

Has anybody tried the 'Supersport' trigger mod / replacement?
    If so, did it really make a difference?

My Mk2 has the 'nice' trigger it's much lighter than 3 to 5s. If you've opened yours up does it have the later Mk3 onwards version or the nicer Mk1/2 type.
    Perhaps the trigger has a fault.
    I considered converting a later trigger to Supersport spec, but do not have the skills to drill holes in the correct positions.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by sjd63 View Post
    Thanks for confirming.
    I did suspect it might be.

I really want to get the trigger lighter, that might be my early summer project.
    It is just heavy enough (on a bad day!) to affect accuracy, and reduce pleasure.

Might cut some coils off.

Has anybody tried the 'Supersport' trigger mod / replacement?
    If so, did it really make a difference?
    I've found the Mk1 and Mk2 triggers to be pretty decent. HOWEVER they can start to play up and become dangerous when the trip plate gets worn. This will either cause the gun to go off on its own and /or the trigger to get very heavy . The good news is if you change one, its is very unlikely to play up again in your lifetime/
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I've found the Mk1 and Mk2 triggers to be pretty decent. HOWEVER they can start to play up and become dangerous when the trip plate gets worn. This will either cause the gun to go off on its own and /or the trigger to get very heavy . The good news is if you change one, its is very unlikely to play up again in your lifetime/
    That mirrors my experience, and is probably one of the reasons they changed to the later style trigger without the thin trip plate.
    Too many airguns!