Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still making airgun silencers?

Question Anyone still making airgun silencers?

Been a while since I‘be had one made but years ago there were some DIY silencer makers using carbon and delrin for air guns.

After a carbon ‘reflex’ style silencer made if anyone knows someone and can point me in the right direction.

Try someone called ped.
    May have to contact on the ukchineseairgunforum.com
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Halinfax on airgunforums.co.uk
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Pretty sure anyone making mods to order has to be an RFD, even if only airgun mods, which has stopped a lot of people.

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Pretty sure anyone making mods to order has to be an RFD, even if only airgun mods, which has stopped a lot of people.
    Apart from those making with a 3D-printer at home, who will plead ignorance.

In my experience they tend to send them before ‘finished’ construction, with the theory being not a silencer at the point of sale.

Much like it is our responsibility should a maunfacturer supply an over ‘limit’ airgun..

It is my understanding that anyone can make and sell a moderator.
    I can buy one posted from another individual but not from a shop.
    Stupid as are laws are.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    It is my understanding that anyone can make and sell a moderator.
    I can buy one posted from another individual but not from a shop.
    Stupid as are laws are.
    Well buying used &/or posting items, is a completely different matter to manufacturing parts to order.

I may well be wrong, but didn't someone like Steve Pegg get convicted over his making mods ??
    Ignorance of a law is not a defence against breaking it.

Well buying used &/or posting items, is a completely different matter to manufacturing parts to order.

I may well be wrong, but didn't someone like Steve Pegg get convicted over his making mods ??
    Ignorance of a law is not a defence against breaking it.
    As far as I am aware silencers are not illegal to use on airguns, nor is it illegal to make one. Anyone can make an airgun silencer & anyone can sell a silencer. The law only comes into effect if you want to post it. You cannot post a functional silencer (I/E receive it & put it straight on the gun & use) unless you are a registered RFD & you post it to another RFD.

Therefore you can produce a kit that needs assembling & post that because until it is built it isn't a functioning silencer, it's a bag of parts. The law is written to avoid this applying to airguns (selling a gun in parts as a non functional kit to avoid RFD transfer) by requiring an RFD transfer for barrels, pistons etc.

Worth noting that like airguns, the RFD is only needed for retail sales of silencers (including 2nd hand sold by airgun retailers). RFD condition does not apply to 2nd hand/used private sales.

The above applies to airgun silencers, I do not use powder burners & proofed silencers are a different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikimaru View Post
    As far as I am aware silencers are not illegal to use on airguns, nor is it illegal to make one. Anyone can make an airgun silencer & anyone can sell a silencer. The law only comes into effect if you want to post it. You cannot post a functional silencer (I/E receive it & put it straight on the gun & use) unless you are a registered RFD & you post it to another RFD.

Therefore you can produce a kit that needs assembling & post that because until it is built it isn't a functioning silencer, it's a bag of parts. The law is written to avoid this applying to airguns (selling a gun in parts as a non functional kit to avoid RFD transfer) by requiring an RFD transfer for barrels, pistons etc.

Worth noting that like airguns, the RFD is only needed for retail sales of silencers (including 2nd hand sold by airgun retailers). RFD condition does not apply to 2nd hand/used private sales.

The above applies to airgun silencers, I do not use powder burners & proofed silencers are a different thing.

Private c2c sales perfectly legal to post, it’s only RFD’s that have to face to face on new silencers ( or RFD transfer obviously )

Anyone can make an airgun mod, Yes, FOR THEMSELVES, as a hobby.
    As a member of the public anyone can sell & post a mod, to anyone else, Yes as long as that is a private sale & not part of a business.

The issue is that as soon as person A makes a part for person B for money that is no longer classed as a hobby
    In the eyes of HMRC that hobby has just become a business.

So person A now has "a business" manufacturing & supplying airgun parts & for that you need to be an RFD

The line being crossed is thin but it exists

Couldn't someone make one for themselves, try it out so it is then used and decide to sell it on as second hand?

Thumbs up

Thanks for those with suggestions, will head over.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Couldn't someone make one for themselves, try it out so it is then used and decide to sell it on as second hand?
    Well, that would be right at the line of legal, for a one off they'd probably be OK,

As soon as they are asked or offer, to make one for someone else for gain/reward that crosses the line in to business.

In the eyes of HMRC there is no such thing as a "paying hobby", any reward to offset your costs & hobby becomes business, & that's where the problem starts.

Anyone can make an airgun mod, Yes, FOR THEMSELVES, as a hobby.
    As a member of the public anyone can sell & post a mod, to anyone else, Yes as long as that is a private sale & not part of a business.

The issue is that as soon as person A makes a part for person B for money that is no longer classed as a hobby
    In the eyes of HMRC that hobby has just become a business.

So person A now has "a business" manufacturing & supplying airgun parts & for that you need to be an RFD

The line being crossed is thin but it exists
    So making a gun stock & selling it means I have be an RFD?
    Are companies that manufacture silencers required to be RFD registered?
    Are companies that make airgun scopes required to be RFD registered?
    The above are making parts for an airgun or are making things that can be attached to an airgun but they do not need to be RFD to sell them or post them to a customer.
    A silencer is not an airgun part, it is an accessory that can be used on any weapon it can be attached to.
    The only restriction on silencers in the UK is for retail sale from a business is if it is a functional silencer it has to be either be sold F2F or sent to an RFD registered business.
    RFD stands for registered firearms dealer. A company can manufacture silencers as its only product, they are not RFD's. If they sold the silencer fully assembled & ready for use/packaged they would either have to sell F2F or via an RFD, they don't have to be an RFD to sell them.