Thread: Powder recommendations for .38 special revolver loads.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Powder recommendations for .38 special revolver loads.

I’m looking for some powder to start loading for .38 special, using a 12” barrel Taurus revolver.

I’m going to be shooting gallery rifle, at 25m max, so I’d need to be downloading the cartridge.

I have some unique powder but was advised that this will probably be too slow burning to use effectively, as I would need to put lots in, which would result in unnecessary recoil etc.

So, I’m after a fast burning powder, I have GM3, which I use for lever action .44 mag, this is quite dirty, so not best for a pistol.

I was advised to get CSB5, N310 or N320 but my local shop doesn’t have any of them.

So if anyone has any suggestions for a good commonly available powder for pistol loads that would be great, thanks!
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22/BRNO Model 2/Remington 597/Buckmark/Marlin.44

I used to use 3.2 grains of red dot behind a 148gr hbwc.
    This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! Adolph Hitler – 1933

I can give you load data from the Hornady manual if it is of use. What gr bullets will you be using?

"Commonly available" in reality is vhit- but like everything else, is in short supply.

The vhit website has data - check out the cowboy load section for downloaded data.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    I can give you load data from the Hornady manual if it is of use. What gr bullets will you be using?

"Commonly available" in reality is vhit- but like everything else, is in short supply.

The vhit website has data - check out the cowboy load section for downloaded data.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/
    Thanks for the link, I’ll be starting out with 158gr tc bullets.

https://imgur.com/a/NrGEv6C

This is for a 4" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/NrGEv6C

This is for a 4" barrel.
    Thanks, how should I change or take into account the difference in barrel lengths? Is it a case of adding powder due to my 12” barrel?

Unique, 5gn, makes a nice easy load. Good in a rifle too.

But also Bullseye, around 4-4.5gn or so. About the same omph as the above (that's the technical term) and a bit dirtier but around 10% more shots per pound of powder

This is all with a 158gn GM Hardcast RNFP bullet.
    Last edited by sarge4318; 31-12-2022 at 11:00 AM. Reason: add the bullet.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    Unique, 5gn, makes a nice easy load. Good in a rifle too.

But also Bullseye, around 4-4.5gn or so. About the same omph as the above (that's the technical term) and a bit dirtier but around 10% more shots per pound of powder

This is all with a 158gn GM Hardcast RNFP bullet.
    Thanks for the info. So unique should be good to start with?

Should I start with around 4.5gn of this and work up in .2gn increments to find a load that my pistol likes?

Cheers