Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting variation of the EM-GE Herkules Air Pistol

Interesting variation of the EM-GE Herkules Air Pistol

Just got in a variation of the EM-GE Herkules that I have not seen before. If fact I thought it wasn’t “right” until I read John’s Encyclopedia at the last hour of biding and he mentions it. The rear sight is moved back onto the tube. I think this is maybe the last variation and they were trying to imitate the more successful prewar Diana model 5. I have pictures of this new gun with an older EM-GE and with the Diana. The Herkules is not found that often here and was concurrent with the Diana. Not sure they could compete successfully? The other interesting part of this pistol is the caliber is 5.05. It’s a smooth bore so I assume there was a 20 cal dart back then? Another note for John’s third edition. Lol. Other differences, fixed front sight and barrel milled a little differently. I assume this will shoot 20 cal pellets perfectly? We shall see. Below is link to as always too many pics.

https://imgur.com/a/YKZD1hF
    Last edited by 45flint; 16-02-2023 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Just got in a variation of the EM-GE Herkules that I have not seen before. If fact I thought it wasn’t “right” until I read John’s Encyclopedia at the last hour of biding and he mentions it. The rear sight is moved back onto the tube. I think this is maybe the last variation and they were trying to imitate the more successful prewar Diana model 5. I have pictures of this new gun with an older EM-GE and with the Diana. The Herkules is not found that often here and was concurrent with the Diana. Not sure they could compete successfully? The other interesting part of this pistol is the caliber is 5.05. It’s a smooth bore so I assume there was a 20 cal dart back then? Another note for John’s third edition. Lol. Other differences, fixed front sight and barrel milled a little differently. I assume this will shoot 20 cal pellets perfectly? We shall see. Below is link to as always too many pics.

https://imgur.com/a/YKZD1hF
    Extraordinary purchase Steve.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

This German dealer sold 5mm darts:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....logue-1939-40/
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    That is a great find Steve.

Normally these odd calibres are associated with arcade guns, and I have an example with reversed telescopic sight, which is stamped with calibre 5.28 mm. Yours is evidently yet another calibre to add to the record, and may or may not have been be intended for arcades. Is your barrel stamped 5.05mm? It would be interesting to know if your barrel is rifled or smoothbore.

You are probably right that the placing of the rear sight at the rear of the cylinder was an attempt at an upgrade.

All the arcade versions fitted with telescopic sights of course needed the rear sight to be placed forwards so that it would be visible through the scope.

John

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    That is a great find Steve.

Normally these odd calibres are associated with arcade guns, and I have an example with reversed telescopic sight, which is stamped with calibre 5.28 mm. Yours is evidently yet another calibre to add to the record, and may or may not have been be intended for arcades. Is your barrel stamped 5.05mm? It would be interesting to know if your barrel is rifled or smoothbore.

You are probably right that the placing of the rear sight at the rear of the cylinder was an attempt at an upgrade.

All the arcade versions fitted with telescopic sights of course needed the rear sight to be placed forwards so that it would be visible through the scope.

John
    It’s smooth bore and stamped 5.05mm. Wonder how it ended up over in the US given that odd caliber? Further oddities are the placement of the caliber on the barrel flat and the absence of the typical stamped boat? The caliber probably explains why this example is in such great condition; they couldn’t find a pellet to fit over here till Sheridan started making them? Lol

Last edited by 45flint; 16-02-2023 at 10:31 PM.

One more thought on this pistol as I was looking at the Gallery at other examples. Every example there has “Germany” stamped on it. This example does not? Does that lead to the thought that this pistol was not meant for export?

The mystery deepens (as is often the case when you start looking closer at things), and my pistol has the rear sight forward AND the dovetailed front sight. Also, like yours Steve, mine lacks the boat and GERMANY markings.

The mystery deepens (as is often the case when you start looking closer at things), and my pistol has the rear sight forward AND the dovetailed front sight. Also, like yours Steve, mine lacks the boat and GERMANY markings.

You would have to assume these pistols were not meant for export, given ammo of any type wasn’t available outside Germany I believe? The irony is now my pistol can easily find 20 cal pellets mainly because of Sheridan 10-15 years later over here. Will put some pellets through it today. Cocks like a new pistol.
    Last edited by 45flint; 17-02-2023 at 02:19 PM.

Yes, I can't see your pistol being an export model, and as the 0.2 calibre was also rare in Germany at the time, it most likely was an arcade or shooting booth model like mine. I can just see some GI 'rescuing' it from a hotel or inn in the aftermath of the war, and bringing it back to the States as a souvenir.

I can just see some GI 'rescuing' it from a hotel or inn in the aftermath of the war, and bringing it back to the States as a souvenir.
    Steve how does it feel having suspected stolen war booty?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Steve how does it feel having suspected stolen war booty?
    My father had an all expense paid trip to Europe in the 1940’s thanks to the US Army. I think he would say don’t sweat it. Lol

First time shooting and 20 cal. Benjamin’s fit perfectly. Even look period given their more barrel appearance. All leather seals are fine even after 80 years. Cool. There is real irony that a rare caliber in Germany becomes a common caliber in the US 80 years later.

Last edited by 45flint; 19-02-2023 at 02:50 AM.

The possible reason for the name Herkules? EM-GE brought out the Herkules after the introduction of the Diana Model 5. I believe the name was to maybe try to differentiate their pistol as more powerful? It certainly is, as I tested the two models I have. The Herkules is much harder to cock almost unpleasantly so. The Diana fairly easy. The Herkules produced a little over 3 FPE. While the Diana about half of this. Doubt this would have been appreciated in a world where Chronys were not available?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    The possible reason for the name Herkules? EM-GE brought out the Herkules after the introduction of the Diana Model 5. I believe the name was to maybe try to differentiate their pistol as more powerful? It certainly is, as I tested the two models I have. The Herkules is much harder to cock almost unpleasantly so. The Diana fairly easy. The Herkules produced a little over 3 FPE. While the Diana about half of this. Doubt this would have been appreciated in a world where Chronys were not available?
    I also find my Hercules very hard to cock - much harder than the Diana 5 -, which is surprising for an arcade gun. Why would it need so much effort, surely it would put off the punters?

I tested its power, but not having any modern 0.21 pellets I used some old Quackenbush 0.21 felted slugs. These were a very tight fit in the barrel, and gave a value of 2.5 FPE.

It is not a pistol I would like to use for any great length of time!

John

Using a part from a previous rare pistol purchase. A year ago I saw this Herkules tube and barrel for sale and bought it for not much money. When it came it had no internal parts but was cool as a display piece to show the old school milling of working parts. The current Herkules with its caliber and smooth bore was obviously built for darts. Since only 20 cal pellets are available I found it shooting them the high, given the rear sight was geared for heavy darts. I saw the shorter rear sight on my parts pistol and exchanged them, easy given they were milled the same. Now the pellets hit right on. Yes I could have filed the high sight but now I am ready when I find those 20 cal German darts. Lol. Shows you never know when you can use rare parts guns.

Last edited by 45flint; 27-02-2023 at 04:43 PM.