Thread: Finally joined 1914 BSA Sporting and unopened box of Adder Pellets

Finally joined 1914 BSA Sporting and unopened box of Adder Pellets

Pretty amazing. Got the pellets first.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Those pellets are as rare as rare can be. well done for finding them. nice to see them together with the rifle as well.

Lovely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

lovely rifle I have one but condition not good but shoots accurate and hard

Only know of a couple of those Adders, well done.

Will you fire any of them - say a dozen or so, to see how they group? Assuming it is a full box, that would undermine the value, of course.

The peep sights look very good too. Let us know how you get on and the accuracy.

I have found that Superdome pellets are good with these old BSAs. Have you put it over the chrono to check the power output?

Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Will you fire any of them - say a dozen or so, to see how they group? Assuming it is a full box, that would undermine the value, of course.

The peep sights look very good too. Let us know how you get on and the accuracy.

I have found that Superdome pellets are good with these old BSAs. Have you put it over the chrono to check the power output?

Rgds
    A
    Don’t think I will open the box and shoot a few! lol Pretty well guarantee that there are 500 in there. Had one of the 2 springs broken. Made 2 double springs and am getting about 8.75 FPE. Using minimal preload love the feel at this level. Need to get some superdomes, been using Hobbys and Excites. The peep was probably the best the US produced, started production in late 1930’s. I think this one is 1950’s? Been too cold to really test accuracy, but more of a beast to hold vs. my BSA Lights. Coolest thing is the sound: like a quiet musket.

Interesting the old springs are quite different from modern. Stiffer and more tightly wound.
    Last edited by 45flint; 24-01-2023 at 01:28 PM.

Yes, I don't blame you for not opening the box. There cannot be more than a handful left like that around the world. That said, one could be ever so tempted!

The peepsight looks excellent. If you are able to test for accuracy, do let us know how you get on.

I have found S.Domes very good in these older rifles - actually, as good as our old Eley Wasp, which were made to the old .22 standard measurement.

I believe that when new, these rifles performed at between 11-14 ft/lbs - Edbear has written extensively on them on this forum.

I don't know if the old springs are still available these days. It is just possible someone still makes them.

Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Yes, I don't blame you for not opening the box. There cannot be more than a handful left like that around the world. That said, one could be ever so tempted!

The peepsight looks excellent. If you are able to test for accuracy, do let us know how you get on.

I have found S.Domes very good in these older rifles - actually, as good as our old Eley Wasp, which were made to the old .22 standard measurement.

I believe that when new, these rifles performed at between 11-14 ft/lbs - Edbear has written extensively on them on this forum.

I don't know if the old springs are still available these days. It is just possible someone still makes them.

Rgds
    A
    I read Eddie’s posts extensively on the “Gallery”. Here is a quote:

“45" Guns...pre 1919 known as the Sporting model or at the end of it's production the Standard model (.22 / .25) then again from 1919-39 as standard no2 (.22) or C.S. / Club Special / Club Standard (.177).

These long guns can be full power, with the earlier Sporting .22 normally making high 10's to full power and even slightly over (up to 600fps and beyond in .22!)

The 1919-39 45" .22 guns (S and T prefix) usually had a different piston / rod and these seem to top out at 560-70 I have found.”

I think there is a fixation today on power? My leather 100 year old seal is not perfect so I know I’m giving a little up there. But I experimented powering up the spring and it just got unpleasant for me to cock and shoot? And on a 100 year old rifle I would rather go a little easy. Using modern springs could give different characteristics. Right now I have a spring coming made by Vortec for a FWB 300 which seems to match up and is ground. Love to experiment. Springs are cheap and easy to work with.
    Last edited by 45flint; 24-01-2023 at 02:55 PM.

I have a box of Adder pellets which could be a sweetener for a Westley Richards concentric model swap.

It's about half full of pellets, which need cleaning but are otherwise perfect.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ies/#post-7081

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ies/#post-7541
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Fascinating links with regard to the pellets, which I viewed with much interest, as if entering a time warp. I noticed the 177 pellets had a larger opening in the rear, as against the 22 equivalent. Both looked well made too.

Ed Bear's information and research on the BSA Standard and smaller versions is of immense interest. He also provides excellent research on the accuracy of these rifles, and their capability at the time - probably with these pellets. I am of the view that BSA did not exceed this quality until the late '70s and early '80s. I also like the open sights and the bead foresight, which provided good accuracy 100+ years ago.

I think it is not difficult to replace the leather washers and I think Ed has also produced a helpful section on this too.

Rgds
    A