Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New springer options

Haitch Dubya Ninedy Five.

You'll hate the OOB twang but you'll have it forever.

New FWB Sport. Same as above but much more refined chassis.

If you are going to tune at some point anyway you may as well start with a near perfect platform to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    HW95 (with a short stroke extension), or 99S (you might need to address the cocking lever). Or 30S if moderate power is fine.

You just need a decent trigger to enjoy a springer and hone your technique, and the above are moderate weight, accurate, and will last a lifetime.
    as above.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

same for me too HW95 or HW98
    superb with the short stroke.

Same as others tx and hw95 are fantastic guns

HW95 and then probably extra bits / internals (most refined choice)

Cometa 400 Fenix - not quite as nice, lifetime G'tee from ASI, about 1/3rd cheaper, shoot well from new (and better breach shim design)

I'd give the other options a miss from original post
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    I fancy replacing my old .22 break barrel Gamo 3000 for something better. This will be my principle springer but all my hunting is done with pcp's, so it's purpose is pleasure and keeping my technique correct. It won't gave heavy use but want it to be a keeper.

I want something light, break barrel and that will last. Trigger quality has to be half decent, not necessarily a record unit but certainly nothing like the Gamo 3000. Don't want to have to strip the gun down out the box, I may tweak it in the future but I'm not buying to immediately have to tune it.

So far I've got my eye on:
    Hw99s (obvious choice but have galling issues been sorted?)
    Cometa 400 super carbine (would be a blind order, not in stock at rfd)
    Webley Stingray
    BSA Meteor Super (not seen anything but concerning reviews regarding accuracy from the USA)

Something else?

Cheers Ed
    Having read this more carefully - Cometa 400 , hands down top choice - you can get a full length open sighted one for a little as £200 if you shop around

Quote Originally Posted by john79 View Post
    Hw98
    That could be a very goid suggestion. This gun will be for paper punching so I don't need the shorter barrel + mod as found on the 95.

Similarly the Cometa 400 SC laminate is definitely in the running but it's more of a hunter and I use my pcp's for that.

So maybe a Cometa Fusion or HW98 would tick the boxes , anyone got one?

Hw95l

This is my suggestion and you will be a Happy Camper.

HW95L .22

That could be a very goid suggestion. This gun will be for paper punching so I don't need the shorter barrel + mod as found on the 95.

Similarly the Cometa 400 SC laminate is definitely in the running but it's more of a hunter and I use my pcp's for that.

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...51#post8113051

Interesting as I was thinking about the 99 - except, of course, I'd want one that had been sorted re the galling issue. If I was sure that was OK it would be a no brainer for me.
    So- and to much mirth and hilarity - I'm going to throw a right spanner in the works. Firstly it isn't a break barrel. Secondly - you'll find much discussion on if it is any good or just a piece of junk...
    HW57.
    Light as a break barrel.
    Lovely cocking action with an articulated link with a roller underneath.
    Tuned to 10-10.5 it's a nice firing cycle (admittedly mine has a V-Mach kit in, but even I could fit that).
    Had mine years and as I use pcp for hunting, just comes out for fun and.. well your reasons.
    And I still have it, because as you willl find, everything else isn't so easy.
    Guess you can pick one up fairly cheap (or maybe not now).
    Anyway - good luck and let us know

HW98, yes. Same internals as the 95, so the same tweaks apply if you wanted to tune. The stock is lovely and that adjustability could make all the difference. Highly, highly recommended.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by simesgee View Post
    Interesting as I was thinking about the 99 - except, of course, I'd want one that had been sorted re the galling issue. If I was sure that was OK it would be a no brainer for me.
    So- and to much mirth and hilarity - I'm going to throw a right spanner in the works. Firstly it isn't a break barrel. Secondly - you'll find much discussion on if it is any good or just a piece of junk...
    HW57.
    Light as a break barrel.
    Lovely cocking action with an articulated link with a roller underneath.
    Tuned to 10-10.5 it's a nice firing cycle (admittedly mine has a V-Mach kit in, but even I could fit that).
    Had mine years and as I use pcp for hunting, just comes out for fun and.. well your reasons.
    And I still have it, because as you willl find, everything else isn't so easy.
    Guess you can pick one up fairly cheap (or maybe not now).
    Anyway - good luck and let us know
    Thanks for reply but already have a 57, not a massive fan tbh - but it has sentimental attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    HW98, yes. Same internals as the 95, so the same tweaks apply if you wanted to tune. The stock is lovely and that adjustability could make all the difference. Highly, highly recommended.
    Expensive and a bit heavier than I'd expected but it looks very quirky, something I like!

Is it less flippy to shoot than the 95, given barrel difference?
    Last edited by capt hindsight; 30-01-2023 at 10:47 AM.

99s

for the money and potential id go with the Hw99S in .22 .my wife had one in .22 and the groups out of the box are mind blowing . yes the galling issue is an issue but a easliy remedied , go down the tuning route (i have a tbt kit you can have ) get it screw cut to take a sound mod and you should have a rifle your going to want to keep for life .

Expensive and a bit heavier than I'd expected but it looks very quirky, something I like!

Is it less flippy to shoot than the 95, given barrel difference?
    Yes, it most certainly is. I love mine. Some say, however, that it feels too "front-endy" for them, so it's imperative that you try before you buy.

And, as per post above, I certainly wouldn't be saying no to a 99. Stunningly capable and forgiving, given its high power / weight statistics. Once sorted (if required), lovely.