Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New springer options

Bit the bullet and ordered not one but two Cometa rifles...

Bit of a wild card but decided to try a Fusion Premier Star in .177
    For those that don't know this is the walnut stocked version with an adjustable cheek piece. It is a long gun with a barrel length of around 42cm. Should be easy to cock and weight is right for me at 3.4kg, this being important as I've had major shoulder surgery. I was tempted by the 95k but it seems more geared up for hunting and I use my pcp's for that, also decided the HW98 is to heavy for what I want at 3.8kg. (got rid of my 77 for that reason, so no point buying another heavy gun).

From what ive read the Fusion seems designed to run at around 23 Joules which is about 17 ft/lbs so i'm very interested to see what the firing cycle feels like at <12. Got to admit its looks have influenced my decision, other than the plastic trigger guard I think it looks amazing and personally I like the look of the silver air diffuser on the end of the barrel too. My rfd has priced it at £300 so price wise it's directly comparable with the HW99 and the BSA meteor super that I looked at the other day.

Also ordered a 220 Compact in .22 flavour. Another wild card but I just fancied one to be left on open sights.

The 220 Compact is an unusual gun as this version comes with a metal moderator instead of the plastic monstrosity that often sit on the front of springers these days. Despite having the moderator Cometa have chosen to keep the open sights and fitted a blade type fiber optic into the front of the moderator. I've not seen any other gun like this which is why it caught my attention. I know the 220 isn't full power and found it rated at 14 joules which equates to about 10 ft/lbs. At under 2.8kg weight I'm hoping this will be an advantage over a lightweight 'full power' gun. The reviews I've seen are very complimentary about the firing cycle, so hopefully my logic will stack up and it will shoot nice.

So a bit of a gamble ordering these without seeing them first, however I was reasurred after chatting at length with Tony at A.S.I. he seemed very honest with his opinion of the different models and it was great to hear there is a lifetime warranty.

Plan to post a proper reviews and chrony results when the guns are run in.

Thanks for the input folks,

Ed

Edit- I dismissed the 400/Premier Super Carbine mentioned in the OP for no other reason other than its more of a hunter and I suspect it will be more hold sensitive and a bit harder for me to cock than the full length barrelled Fusion. Gorgeous looking gun though!
    Last edited by capt hindsight; 01-02-2023 at 10:51 AM.

Well done chap !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Well done chap !
    I hope so,

Also hope I'm not left looking at them in 6 months time wishing i'd bought a 95

I have a 400 with Welsh willy conversion, titan spring, and Oz seal, took two attempts to get it right too
    I have a 400 from factory

The tuned one does shoot a bit nicer, the other one which is just as accurate has a lifetime G'tee IN TACT cos it's not messed about with !

I haven't had an HW that was really tolerable even from factory, unlike the Cometa.

In fairness the first 400 was not great at that time, they had nicked seal on assembly, and put in crap mainsprings for uk market. By the time I bought the second one, they'd really really pulled their fingers out -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    Bit the bullet and ordered not one but two Cometa rifles...

Bit of a wild card but decided to try a Fusion Premier Star in .177
    For those that don't know this is the walnut stocked version with an adjustable cheek piece. It is a long gun with a barrel length of around 42cm. Should be easy to cock and weight is right for me at 3.4kg, this being important as I've had major shoulder surgery. I was tempted by the 95k but it seems more geared up for hunting and I use my pcp's for that, also decided the HW98 is to heavy for what I want at 3.8kg. (got rid of my 77 for that reason, so no point buying another heavy gun).

From what ive read the Fusion seems designed to run at around 23 Joules which is about 17 ft/lbs so i'm very interested to see what the firing cycle feels like at <12. Got to admit its looks have influenced my decision, other than the plastic trigger guard I think it looks amazing and personally I like the look of the silver air diffuser on the end of the barrel too. My rfd has priced it at £300 so price wise it's directly comparable with the HW99 and the BSA meteor super that I looked at the other day.

Also ordered a 220 Compact in .22 flavour. Another wild card but I just fancied one to be left on open sights.

The 220 Compact is an unusual gun as this version comes with a metal moderator instead of the plastic monstrosity that often sit on the front of springers these days. Despite having the moderator Cometa have chosen to keep the open sights and fitted a blade type fiber optic into the front of the moderator. I've not seen any other gun like this which is why it caught my attention. I know the 220 isn't full power and found it rated at 14 joules which equates to about 10 ft/lbs. At under 2.8kg weight I'm hoping this will be an advantage over a lightweight 'full power' gun. The reviews I've seen are very complimentary about the firing cycle, so hopefully my logic will stack up and it will shoot nice.

So a bit of a gamble ordering these without seeing them first, however I was reasurred after chatting at length with Tony at A.S.I. he seemed very honest with his opinion of the different models and it was great to hear there is a lifetime warranty.

Plan to post a proper reviews and chrony results when the guns are run in.

Thanks for the input folks,

Ed

Edit- I dismissed the 400/Premier Super Carbine mentioned in the OP for no other reason other than its more of a hunter and I suspect it will be more hold sensitive and a bit harder for me to cock than the full length barrelled Fusion. Gorgeous looking gun though!

Enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!