Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 79

Thread: Stroud Auctions

  1. #16
    nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Join Date
    Jan 2023
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    425
    Interested to see how high people will bid. The most recent auctions across the country have shown people bidding above equivalent items on classifieds websites, even before adding the ~30% fees on top.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    8,540
    Quote Originally Posted by nishijin View Post
    Interested to see how high people will bid. The most recent auctions across the country have shown people bidding above equivalent items on classifieds websites, even before adding the ~30% fees on top.

    Even stranger, people buy blind from auctions when at Armsfairs. they can handle and pay less.
    I proved this recently.
    I offered a BSA underlever at KP for £165, expecting to sell it for £150. After a few tyre kickers, I gave it to an Auctioneer and received £160 2 months later.

    Nowt stranger than Collectors

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2023
    Location
    mansfield
    Posts
    33
    off subject, does anyone know of any auctions nottinghamshire /lincs areas?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    East Sussex, Nr Rye
    Posts
    17,047
    Anyone going?
    Anyone going to buy and will pick up?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Twickenham
    Posts
    356

    Stroud

    I'm viewing with a mate tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
    Hoping to combine with a decent lunch :-)
    Steve

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    East Sussex, Nr Rye
    Posts
    17,047
    Have at look at the Chris Reeve Knife 352.
    Some would say it was over valued, and others undervalued. I suspect the former as collectors demand mint, and it is late production. Things in the knife world have moved on since these were made. They once sold retail for £225.

    RWS Superdomes are always worth buying if the price is nice and low.

    Always fun.
    Last edited by Muskett; 06-02-2023 at 10:56 PM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bath, innit?
    Posts
    6,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Have at look at the Chris Reeve Knife 352.
    Some would say it was over valued, and others undervalued. I suspect the former as collectors demand mint, and it is late production. Things in the knife world have moved on since these were made. They once sold retail for £225.

    RWS Superdomes are always worth buying if the price is nice and low.

    Always fun.
    I seem to remember a review at the time that said yes they were bombproof, but those Chris Reeve knives were not actually very good to use for any length of time

    I guess 98% of them are drawer queens so it wouldn’t matter
    Morally flawed

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Twickenham
    Posts
    356

    Ffs

    Journey halted at Swindon due to WW2 unexploded bomb on the line at Kemble. FFS


  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bath, innit?
    Posts
    6,696
    Welcome to the joys of using Worst Late Western trains.
    Morally flawed

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Posts
    2,414
    Sounds like Reggie Perrin. Not-so Cheltenham flyer.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    East Sussex, Nr Rye
    Posts
    17,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    I seem to remember a review at the time that said yes they were bombproof, but those Chris Reeve knives were not actually very good to use for any length of time

    I guess 98% of them are drawer queens so it wouldn’t matter
    I have a Project II, and used it for 7 years before retiring it. It did everything it was asked of it. Combat/Survival knives get carried a lot and used occasionally. They aren't that great to use as they are designed to do too much, so not that great at anything other than do everything badly.

    Everything about knives has changed these past 30 years. How they are made, the materials, the heat treatment, but most of all how they are used. Many modern usage would be considered using the wrong tool, or just out right abuse, a few years back.
    Interestingly, there has been a bit of a reappraisal of what is expected from a good knife. Rather than one to rule them all, just have a few and more specialised.
    I'm a Skrama fan.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bath, innit?
    Posts
    6,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I have a Project II, and used it for 7 years before retiring it. It did everything it was asked of it. Combat/Survival knives get carried a lot and used occasionally. They aren't that great to use as they are designed to do too much, so not that great at anything other than do everything badly.

    Everything about knives has changed these past 30 years. How they are made, the materials, the heat treatment, but most of all how they are used. Many modern usage would be considered using the wrong tool, or just out right abuse, a few years back.
    Interestingly, there has been a bit of a reappraisal of what is expected from a good knife. Rather than one to rule them all, just have a few and more specialised.
    I'm a Skrama fan.
    Oh yes, me too, for gardening and I suppose zombies. It’s a beast.

    Less so for opening Amazon packages.
    Morally flawed

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    East Sussex, Nr Rye
    Posts
    17,047
    Skrama: thinking man's Golok.
    Gardening, forestry, Bushcraft, just very useful.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    2,261
    Puma - White Hunter

    Now THATS a Knife.....


    Lakey

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    East Sussex, Nr Rye
    Posts
    17,047
    A knife I've never liked. Somehow it has a real following. Has anyone actually used one for real?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •