Thread: Pellet change.

Pellet change.

Hello.
    Please excuse a question that may have been done to death, but I don't remember it.
    I keep trying different pellets so don't buy repeats very often. I have finished two tins of Bisley LRG in .177 that I would have bought years ago from a local shop that has now gone. They were marked as made in Germany Bisley LRG, for John Rothery Wholesale . No weight, batch or accurate size given but apart from the lack of labeling, the tins look very like the AA Field tins. The pellets themselves looked very similar to AA Fields but cost a bit less. I have started a new tin of Bisley LRGs, marked as made by H&N Sport for Bisley from a different (local) shop. They seem to be a bit shorter in length with a relatively large diameter and often mis-feed in my Rowan mag. I get the impression that they are harder somehow and unlike the older pellets, the tins are screw topped. I have none of the old pellets left to compare now. My S400 doesn't seem to like the newer pellets quite as much as either the older pellets, nor the Fields.
    My question is; does anyone have any idea who made the LRGs that were sold under the John Rothery name half a dozen or more years ago?
    If I could find them, I would like to try them again.

I would imagine (although feel free to correct me) they would be made by H and N as a few of the bisley H and N pellets seem to be crossovers.
    Bisley magnum are barracuda match with wider tolerance on QC, I think.

Thanks AM.
    I just looked at the pictures on the H&N website. What I have looks like the Field Target Trophy (I meant to say that the waist looked large diameter), what I had (from memory) looked more like the Baracuda or Baracuda Light/FT only in non screw top tins.
    At 9.5 grain, I will give the lights or the FTs a go.
    These FTT lookalikes often seem to jam up when fed from the rowan mag and need a couple of goes to get into the breech. I don't think that it likes short pellets. When they don't catch in the breech, they give group sizes that are nearly as good as the far more expensive AA Fields.

If you cant find the Long Range Gold I would try Accupells, similar small light pellet.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Pellets change from batch to batch, let alone year to year, it's very common to try several batches of a pellet and find one is better than the others, but tracking down what your looking for is impossible if there were no batch details on the tin, as there would have been many batches made

Your best bet it to start again with the pellet testing, and when you find the pellet/batch your guns like - buy a sleeve of them, if two tins lasted you years, this should cover you for a decade
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

as has been mentioned by a sleeve

Thanks for the replies.
    My new LRGs work, but not perhaps as well as the older ones did and I was hoping that someone had a definitive answer as to what they (the older ones) may be branded as now.
    What I found this afternoon is that my Mito likes the new LRGs at ten meters. This is good because I can happily use them and they cost around the same as the R10 etc. wadcutters that I have been feeding it. Even it's rather tacky mag likes them!

That Uttings link definitely shows the old tin but it may be an old picture. Has anyone bought them recently? Can you say if they are John Rothery Wholesale or Bisley UK.Com?