Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
First, to answer the simple query, you match the bullet to the barrel, 1 in 8 twist is ideal for 60 to 80 gn bullets.

The COAL length is specific to the bullet, and the barrel free bore, (i.e where it touches), and is specifically importantly to the load, get it wrong, and you have high pressures!

The wife and I shoot at top level, and shoot Internationally at 300 mts, and load our own ammo (6mmBR and .223) to the highest standards, capable of world level scores at 300 mts, with .223 using 80 gns bullets in a 1 in 8 twist. I do not intend to go into any more detail.

Reloading if performed correctly is safe, BUT, there are big risks for the inexperienced, you are clearly very inexperienced. There are very high pressures involved, and very dangerous repercussions of getting it wrong, possibly fatal.

The NRA report they have seen several serious injuries in 2022 from reloading accidents, and they are considering and will likely be putting in mandatory requirements on reloaded ammo using Bisley and any MoD range.

The questions you are asking, raise serious concerns, and leads me to suggest that before you load any thing at all, that you get proven expert advice, face to face. I suggest you contact the NRA, and get on a NRA reloading course, or as a minimum any reloading course, and get advice from a proven expert.

As a bare minimum get a good book on the subject, and read it cover to cover, to at least understand the requirements, and the risks of getting it wrong, not only to you, but innocent bystanders, then get on a course.

The internet is not the place for you to start getting advice.

Take care, and Have Fun
Robin
Excellent post Robin and full of good info and suggestions.

I shoot around 7 or 8 thousand reloaded rifle rounds annually, more than half being .223 but also 6.5CM and .308. The vast majority of fellow competitors are reloaders too. I have witnessed several potentially serious accidents in the last year due to negligence on the part of reloaders. Without trying to patronise anyone, please be very, very careful and take credible advice as suggested by Robin. Some 'mate's advice' can be downright dangerous.

The most recent incident was during a major competition, pressure on and the shooter fired and was about to chamber another round but the guy behind shouted 'Stop, stop stop'. He (guy behind, unlike the shooter) had realised that it was a squid round, in this case, no powder and it was only the primer that had detonated which dislodged the bullet from the case's neck tension and propelled it some distance up the barrel. The ejected case looked normal but the rifle was in a very dangerous state with a barrel that was blocked.
I believe that in Jun 2021 a similar incident happened on Century and the new target rifle failed destroying the rifle although thankfully, with no serious injury. This incident may have one of those that contributed to the NRA/MOD's recent comments on reloading safety.

These situations happen when people get distracted during the reloading process. And as someone who has reloaded several hundred rounds over the weekend, I know only too well how mind numbingly boring the process can be and how critical it is to develop a systemic routine that leaves no (minimal) margin for error.

Keep safe and have fun.