Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosman E9a refurb disaster

Crosman E9a refurb disaster

I had an E9a in .22 and reluctantly sold it to a friend. I really fancied getting another but was on the look out for a .20 example. I bought this one in Holt's auction last year and could see some signs of abuse but thought it could all be dealt with... I got all the necessary spares from three different places all except a cocking pin that I had to make. J C Airguns had one but it wasn't worth the postage just for one item. Many hours later and I was fairly happy with the result. Just one thing was bothering me slightly and that was I couldn't make out the rifling......

However...... when I loaded a pellet it dropped straight through the barrel! I checked the calibre - yes it does say .20 then tried a .22 pellet and that shot out but with little accuracy. It suddenly dawned upon me that someone had tried to drill out the barrel presumably to .22 so rough drill marks and no rifling. Bugger. How many hours have I just spent on this......

Steve.

E9a

What a bloody shame all that trouble for nowt i feel for you lad. Bit of luck someone on here might be able to help

I'm sorry to hear that Steve. I had a similar issue with a Crosman 1377 but unlike the E9A the barrel can be replaced easily.
    You could turn it into a dart gun? Might be quite fun.

There was a .22 e9a on guntrader a few weeks ago for 125 and I was tempted but looks like it's gone now.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    That's a real bummer... Feel for you mate - what a disappointment

Barrel

Will the barrel come off I have a crossman .22 barrel that might go on?its a long barrel ��
    Just looked on the web an found yours is brass and fitted well the thought was there good luck.
    Last edited by kenj; 27-01-2023 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Found my offer will not work.

E9a

Hi just had a thought could you get a 177 insert for it. I am not a engineer but maybe somone on here is, or maybe go bigger to. 25 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    when I loaded a pellet it dropped straight through the barrel! I checked the calibre - yes it does say .20 then tried a .22 pellet and that shot out but with little accuracy. It suddenly dawned upon me that someone had tried to drill out the barrel presumably to .22 so rough drill marks and no rifling.
    IIRC the barrel and bolt housing are soldered in place on these, so it would be a major job to sort.

Adding a .177 liner might be a possibility but would still be a tricky thing to do.

It is such as shame that airguns seem to attract a disproportionate number of bodgers who cock up otherwise good guns.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 30-01-2023 at 06:45 AM.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

That's a shame, it's come up nicely and looks great, as previously suggested, maybe get someone to fit a liner?

shame i did hear of a fw that were wrongly stamped
    in a box of parts i got one that had the barrel cut off along with the cylinder in front of the valve

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post

Adding a .177 liner might be a possibility but would still be a tricky thing to do.
    it's actually surprisingly easy... I've relined a few pistol barrels.

Just find a suitable liner - a skinny PCP barrel - the sort you get on say crosman or daisy pumpers that are designed to fit inside a shroud are perfect. something around 8mm OD would be ideal.. Then just get a long 8mm drill, stick it in the lathe, and drill all the way through. Doesn't need to be precision accurate. Then just install with medium strength loctite, tidy up the ends, and job done.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

a bit harder on these due to the soldered barrel breech cylinder but a big enough lathe with a 4 jaw chuck could do it
    the time to do set it up would be costly though and imo not worth it as the 9a isn't rare enough to warrant it and it's a spares gun now
    if it was mine i'd desolder the barrel breech assembly and look at fitting a .25 barrel

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    a bit harder on these due to the soldered barrel breech cylinder but a big enough lathe with a 4 jaw chuck could do it
    the time to do set it up would be costly though and imo not worth it as the 9a isn't rare enough to warrant it and it's a spares gun now
    if it was mine i'd desolder the barrel breech assembly and look at fitting a .25 barrel
    ahh, I see.. didn't realise the barrel wasn't seperate...

maybe drill and ream out to a smoothbore .25 ? nothing to lose trying...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

sorry to hear of your trouble OP .as previously said i think a barrel liner is the only way to go.i have had one of these with a complete barrel and action detached .i resoldered it back on but it was a bit of a faff.involved hammering solder from wire into sheet about 20 thou thick and holding the whole shebang together with jubilee clips while heating.
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Many thanks for all the suggestions on this.

I've assembled all my spare barrels with a view to turning down one to replace the brass barrel completely and I've also found a thin brass Diana tube which could possibly be an insert.

I'm going to ponder this for a while.

I may be some time...

Steve.

it'll make an interesting project