Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What ft/lb would be considered safely legal to set a springer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

What ft/lb would be considered safely legal to set a springer?

I have noticed a huge power difference with pellets alone and feel a bit uneasy much over 11 ft/lbs with the best pellet for power but some run their guns in the mid 11's to me this seems to close.

I was wondering what ft/lb you guys feel comfortable with and what is recommended.

12ft/lb or under is legal. Obviously Pellet weight can change this on guns running near the uk limit
    This is where You need to be careful, if your gun gets tested by the authorities they will probably put different weighted Pellets through it to push it over the legal threshold if it does go over consistently then you have a problem.
    Pellet selection and a chrono will keep you the right side of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffyxx View Post
    12ft/lb or under is legal. Obviously Pellet weight can change this on guns running near the uk limit
    This is where You need to be careful, if your gun gets tested by the authorities they will probably put different weighted Pellets through it to push it over the legal threshold if it does go over consistently then you have a problem.
    Pellet selection and a chrono will keep you the right side of the law.
    Actually, If it goes over 12fpe with so much as a single shot during testing, it fails

Test every pellet you can get hold of, set the power safe with whatever gives the highest reading regardless of whether it's accurate & you use it or not.
    Last edited by angrybear; 29-01-2023 at 06:48 PM.

10.5ftlb. The difference in a hunting sinario using 10.5ftlb against a gun running at near legal limit is negligible. Better to be on the safe side of the law.

Do we really require yet another self flagellating politically correct discussion on this done to death topic?
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    Do we really require yet another self flagellating politically correct discussion on this done to death topic?
    Maybe, maybe not. But there will always be new people amongst us who are not fully aware of the technicalities and who haven't come across those previous threads. When it comes to law and safety topics, personally, I don't mind if they are brought up as reminders.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    I was wondering this myself

For the view point of humane dispatch, 11-12 fp energy is puny.

Giving the shooter the choice to shoot a chosen pellet and shoot near the limit but not over would be a far better idea, but if your then dumb enough to get your collar felt and found shooting pellet/s over the limit, that choice was yours and expect the law to act accordingly.

The 12 lbs ft law is over 50 years old, a simple revision to include the above, this would put the onus firmly with the shooter to dispatch prey with the most power available to them without exceeding 12 fp with their choice of pellet.

Common sense falls short of the mark in this case and around and around we go, getting nowhere fast.
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    10.5ftlb. The difference in a hunting sinario using 10.5ftlb against a gun running at near legal limit is negligible. Better to be on the safe side of the law.
    Have always set my springers up for 10.5, but have met quite a few people who just can’t get their heads around this and think that’s their rifles have to be within an hairs width of the legal limit or their useless which goes to show they really don’t understand that the difference is almost negligible plus you have a legally safe rifle…

The Law allows for 12ft/lbs because when it was made 12ft/lbs seemed sensible and necessary. Therefore, people should be allowed to utilise all that power right up to the mark.
    For target shooters then it's not power but velocity and pellet momentum if only to buck the wind at range.
    For vermin shooters around the farmyard then as pellets are pointy enough and good shot placement only requires 2ft/lbs or so to do the job then 10.5 would be suffice. However, extend the range and use the bigger .22 then to punch through, and carry enough energy, close to the limit would be sensible. That and a velocity to buck the wind.

No one would want to lose their hobby of shooting sports, so be sensible. The Police should neither be cavalier nor draconian. If an air rifle was found slightly over then better for the Public Interest that it be serviced and taken back down a tad, rather than straight to the gulag. The idiot or someone taking the piss then that is something different.
    Shooting sports are fantastic and everyone should be able to enjoy them without worry.

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Have always set my springers up for 10.5, but have met quite a few people who just can’t get their heads around this and think that’s their rifles have to be within an hairs width of the legal limit or their useless which goes to show they really don’t understand that the difference is almost negligible plus you have a legally safe rifle…
    Not strictly true, one of my rifles has a 2.5ftlb variation between pellets of the same weight but different manufactures.
    10.5 would be fine at reduced range, but, out at FT/HFT ranges the extra ftlb makes a lot of difference with trajectory and windage making it even more difficult to deliver that instant clean kill at these ranges.
    Most FT/HFT run 11.5-11.8 for this exact reason
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Actually, If it goes over 12fpe with so much as a single shot during testing, it fails

Test every pellet you can get hold of, set the power safe with whatever gives the highest reading regardless of whether it's accurate & you use it or not.
    Yes, this. And I try to set at about 11.4 max with the most efficient pellet to give that margin for safety. As said up above, some are often set up at a lower figure to give the nicest (for me) firing cycles.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Personally never knowingly run anything over 11 and most of mine are set to/happen to output about 10.6-10.8 and really don’t miss anything from the 1.whatever I’m ‘missing’.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I mainly use 8.4grain JSB exacts. I set my springers to around 777fps. 11.2 or 3 by memory
    Tend to get a nice firing cycle with enough power for 80 yard targets (not hunting to 80 yard
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I have noticed a huge power difference with pellets alone and feel a bit uneasy much over 11 ft/lbs with the best pellet for power but some run their guns in the mid 11's to me this seems to close.

I was wondering what ft/lb you guys feel comfortable with and what is recommended.
    Personally I go for 11.4 max with the most efficient (highest ft/lb) pellet through the chrono. That leaves me confident enough that there's enough up to the limit to not go over.

That's not to say I set any at 11.4 as the gun may shoot better at, say, 10.8 or lower.

Max I had on my superstar was 11.2, it varied between 10.8 and 11.2 depending on pellet, it was very consistent , regardless of its diet and most accurate on Superfields at 11ftlb