Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What ft/lb would be considered safely legal to set a springer?

So much firearm law requires people to be trusted to stick to it all.
    Take FAC barrel length. It would take but a minute to hacksaw a barrel so short it would become a Section 5. That makes every gun "capable with hacksaw".
    UK Law requires a certain power for the bigger deer species, so a .243 almost definitely requires a 100 grain plus bullet even though the calibre was never really intended to shoot such heavy bullets; its much happier with something lighter. Don't do it.
    A humane dispatch handgun may well be authorised with a restricted magazine. Magazines are not licensed so anyone can own a factory high capacity one. The conditions are broken if a factory high capacity loaded one is fitted into the well. Don't do it.

Same with that washer. Leave it alone; don't go messing about.

There is a certain amount of trust with guns. Safety and sticking to the laws governing them. If you have good reason for more, just get the license for more.
    If you want more than UK allows then move to France If more than that then USA , and if you want to save the world go and sign up in Ukraine.
    In the UK we play cricket, not football.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    10.5ftlb. The difference in a hunting sinario using 10.5ftlb against a gun running at near legal limit is negligible. Better to be on the safe side of the law.
    Have always set my springers up for 10.5, but have met quite a few people who just can’t get their heads around this and think that’s their rifles have to be within an hairs width of the legal limit or their useless which goes to show they really don’t understand that the difference is almost negligible plus you have a legally safe rifle…

The Law allows for 12ft/lbs because when it was made 12ft/lbs seemed sensible and necessary. Therefore, people should be allowed to utilise all that power right up to the mark.
    For target shooters then it's not power but velocity and pellet momentum if only to buck the wind at range.
    For vermin shooters around the farmyard then as pellets are pointy enough and good shot placement only requires 2ft/lbs or so to do the job then 10.5 would be suffice. However, extend the range and use the bigger .22 then to punch through, and carry enough energy, close to the limit would be sensible. That and a velocity to buck the wind.

No one would want to lose their hobby of shooting sports, so be sensible. The Police should neither be cavalier nor draconian. If an air rifle was found slightly over then better for the Public Interest that it be serviced and taken back down a tad, rather than straight to the gulag. The idiot or someone taking the piss then that is something different.
    Shooting sports are fantastic and everyone should be able to enjoy them without worry.

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Have always set my springers up for 10.5, but have met quite a few people who just can’t get their heads around this and think that’s their rifles have to be within an hairs width of the legal limit or their useless which goes to show they really don’t understand that the difference is almost negligible plus you have a legally safe rifle…
    Not strictly true, one of my rifles has a 2.5ftlb variation between pellets of the same weight but different manufactures.
    10.5 would be fine at reduced range, but, out at FT/HFT ranges the extra ftlb makes a lot of difference with trajectory and windage making it even more difficult to deliver that instant clean kill at these ranges.
    Most FT/HFT run 11.5-11.8 for this exact reason
    VAYA CON DIOS

Mine are all between 10.5 - 11.4fpe. I go with the best firing cycle for the particular rifle pellet combo when tuning.
    I do check with a few other common pellet brands just to check the 12 fpe limit is not exceeded although I don’t go overboard. I do record the results for reference.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by jm5* View Post
    HAS ANYONE EVER HAD THEIR AIRGUN TESTED BY THE POLICE ?

Does anyone actually KNOW anyone who has had their Airgun tested by the police ?

If so, what were the circumstances ?
    Yes, I know personally one person that has...basics were:

Domestic altercation got out of hand.
    Neighbours called police.
    Partner told police guns in the house,
    A number of guns confiscated and tested.
    One had deliberately been over-powered - 20 ft/lb IIRC.
    Custodial sentence followed (but no prosecution for the over-powered rifle).
    Sister collected legal guns from police.
    Sister passed guns back to the brother after a number of years (think it might of been 5?)

So even with a deliberate offence being found, it wasn't prosecuted at all & the term he did get was much less than having a firearm should have got him

Go figure...

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jm5* View Post
    HAS ANYONE EVER HAD THEIR AIRGUN TESTED BY THE POLICE ?

Does anyone actually KNOW anyone who has had their Airgun tested by the police ?

If so, what were the circumstances ?
    Two.

1) My now departed brother had a long & bitter dispute with his neighbour. The neighbour complained about him using guns in the garden, just plinking. At the time he had an Original Model 6, & was doing some work on my Webley Hurricane & Hawk Mk 2. They tested the Hawk! Needless to say it was returned, as were the others.

2) This ones a bit more murky. An ex workmate was raided by the Police. As his other job was sound crew at festivals, think they were looking for drugs. None were there, but they found his HW35. Tested it, came out over the limit, just. He claimed it was because he'd oiled it up for storage, & it was dieseling. I'm inclined to believe him - he was very good mechanically, & I am sure if he'd wanted to tune it over the limit, he would not have had it going 'just' over.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Not strictly true, one of my rifles has a 2.5ftlb variation between pellets of the same weight but different manufactures.
    10.5 would be fine at reduced range, but, out at FT/HFT ranges the extra ftlb makes a lot of difference with trajectory and windage making it even more difficult to deliver that instant clean kill at these ranges.
    Most FT/HFT run 11.5-11.8 for this exact reason
    11.5 to 11.8 definitely asking for trouble should the rifle ever get tested by police.

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    11.5 to 11.8 definitely asking for trouble should the rifle ever get tested by police.
    Trust me these boys do more testing than those that don't compete, so they know what they are doing.
    They own kit worth thousands and shoot legitimately at clubs, not some k**b poaching or shooting across other peoples gardens etc.
    VAYA CON DIOS