Thread: What ft/lb would be considered safely legal to set a springer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    Do we really require yet another self flagellating politically correct discussion on this done to death topic?
    I was wondering this myself

For the view point of humane dispatch, 11-12 fp energy is puny.

Giving the shooter the choice to shoot a chosen pellet and shoot near the limit but not over would be a far better idea, but if your then dumb enough to get your collar felt and found shooting pellet/s over the limit, that choice was yours and expect the law to act accordingly.

The 12 lbs ft law is over 50 years old, a simple revision to include the above, this would put the onus firmly with the shooter to dispatch prey with the most power available to them without exceeding 12 fp with their choice of pellet.

Common sense falls short of the mark in this case and around and around we go, getting nowhere fast.
    Hw77+7

TBF they probably not even considered the Airgun as being a legitimate tool for pests, more likely considering it an older youths tool for pot shotting.
    A much more sensible thing, would be the person with permission, or a landowner could use the power he likes power to get the job done, but the rest limited to 10-11
    Most on here seem to favour 10.5 as being ideal for FT anyway …even if i would prefer much more for hunting.

The law isn't really maintained for people who are willing to have the adult discussion that we are all engaged in.
    I think it's more for those that are less responsible

I normally set springers to a max of 10.5 - 10.8 with the most efficient pellet.
    I check ME in summer and winter and adjust accordingly
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I normally set springers to a max of 10.5 - 10.8 with the most efficient pellet.
    I check ME in summer and winter and adjust accordingly
    The problem is, whilst most models may seem nicer to shoot at 10.5 typically and thats fine, but Ive been out with an FAC registered pal using a Rapid and a Patriot (both legally running 20 ish) and the difference on game was night and day.
    Even shot placement became less critical. Completely broken skulls on Squirrel. Less than ideal body shots, ripped clean through and didnt seem any lesser for not having been ideally shot.
    The energy given up thing in regard of not passing through seemed mute.
    Both sides of the shoulders done at 30 yards, which at 10.5 would have been a bad hit.
    It has to be better to have that availability for the private game shooter, then having the choice to go up in pellet weight/slug if you dont wish the pass through.
    Legitamate hunter/land owner gets choice. FT a 12 limit.

I was not trying to give legal advice, but trying to inform people that they should take "real" legal advice and not rely on the Police's for anything. Find yourself in a position with gun and police and its all knew to you, and annoyingly the Police have a poor reputation for being helpful. Quite dangerous to your future hobby, which is why I caution people to do anything other than get good legal advice before saying anything or agreeing to anything. Ask politely why they are getting involved. State why you think you are legal and then don't elaborate further. More means going professional legal advice.
    I wish it wasn't so.

Shoot within the farmyard and 8ft/lbs will do it as pellet placement is all that matters. If shooting 40m then as close to the limit would be my advice. Only pellet placement matters.
    HFT/FT whatever you can keep the most accurate.

FAC Air is a completely different ball game in so many ways including impact on quarry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2345678 View Post
    The problem is, whilst most models may seem nicer to shoot at 10.5 typically and thats fine, but Ive been out with an FAC registered pal using a Rapid and a Patriot (both legally running 20 ish) and the difference on game was night and day.
    Even shot placement became less critical. Completely broken skulls on Squirrel. Less than ideal body shots, ripped clean through and didnt seem any lesser for not having been ideally shot.
    The energy given up thing in regard of not passing through seemed mute.
    Both sides of the shoulders done at 30 yards, which at 10.5 would have been a bad hit.
    It has to be better to have that availability for the private game shooter, then having the choice to go up in pellet weight/slug if you dont wish the pass through.
    Legitamate hunter/land owner gets choice. FT a 12 limit.
    That's exactly what we already have if you want/need more power for hunting, you can go FAC, if not you have the 12fpe max.

The police don't test guns themselves. They get a company to do it who use light, medium and heavy pellets (equivalent to hobbys, FTTs and bisley magnums). Just test your gun with equivalent pellets so it doesn't go over the limit.

Personally, I think they should put FAC airguns on shotgun certificates as they are less dangerous than shotguns.

Lots of opinions but still no facts regarding this.
    Both my rifles run 11.5+ with the exact same pellet that luckily works really well in both. Now I don't own or possess any other pellets, after testing and rejected they were given in to the club for others to try.
    So what law have I broken? Yes I could find a pellet to top 12ftlb in one or both my rifles, but I haven't. I only possess 1 pellet and the chrono proves the combo is legal, I record the test results and keep them. Surely there has to be some sort of common sense here. I am not interested in FAC air, never have been. I have said many times that for me a perfectly placed 7.9 grain premier takes out any airgun quarry at FT ranges, and at which I practice a lot. Most people set the springers power lower to make the recoil more sedate, and not really anything to do with the law.
    Why have a legal limit of 12ftlb and then have to run your rifle at 10-10.5 to make sure you are always legal with pellet, lube or test someone may do.
    Your car can sit at 30mph in a 30 zone but has serious potential to go over the limit by simply pressing a pedal, but you don't and therefore haven't broken the law.
    I am interested in the facts though, someone's genuine experience on either side of the law.

Do we need this thread, not sure, I for one would like some facts, and to me it is better than the "recommend me a pair of trainers" or "what's ya favourite colour" threads.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    That's exactly what we already have if you want/need more power for hunting, you can go FAC, if not you have the 12fpe max.
    Not quite the point i was making but I wouldnt argue very strongly.
    I was talking without having FAC rules…
    A landowner/pest controller being found to be over but not having an FAC….performing a legit role with correct power for the task at his disposal.
    Anyone else being sub 12 ftlbs…
    Surely if such a shooter were allowed to push his power to allow a more definite kill, it would not be a bad thing if caught in the right setting and with the correct rights to be there. If not in that setting, you would not justifiable need the power.
    As it stands many such individuals rarely go to the trouble of trying for FAC.

I was quite shocked at the difference it made…Super flat trajectory out to 60 yards and devastation on the quarry.
    Perhaps marginally more upward barrel flip on the Theoben Rapid but i wouldn't spit on the diff, but pellet through both shoulders on a Squirrel at 45 ish paces not something ive encountered with my own 10-11.5 shooting.
    Thing was running about 20ftlbs for the record. (On FAC)