Thread: Aa 1993 tx200 sr .22

Aa 1993 tx200 sr .22

Hi

picked up this rifle 5 yrs ago with the following faults overwise in excellent condition;
    1) broken cocking shoe
    2] cocking lever cracked at forward pin

Finally getting round to giving it the care she deserves. Ive bought a new lever, shoe,
    indent holder & new seals from AA, excellent help & service, also have a tbt kit ready to install.

Shes now nice & clean, however before I reassemble;
    1) what could have caused the breaks (in my view the design around lever & pivot bracket
    looks weak, too many holes & not enough support material
    2) what else can I check before reassembly
    3) any extra tips, mods etc
    4) with tbt spring any ideas as to how many rings can be removed if any before 1st assembly & trial

thanking all for any help & advice in advance
    julesy

Nice rifle!

As to the cause of the break, the SR requires a fair bit more effort to cock as right at the end of the stroke the action is set to its forward locked position.

Perhaps someone giving it a bit too much welly when cocking?

To be fair, I have had several SR's over the years but never heard of breakage where you describe.

I did have the cocking shoe break on my first TX200, I think it was a sintered component, that is the only one I have had break though.

Re the TbT kit I would start without any spacers, then test and add if required.

I would also replace the lock nuts for the sledge as a matter of course when servicing one of these.

Setting up the trigger on an SR can be fun and games, if you need any assistance, I will pm you my contact details.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

My guess would be discharge whilst cocked. Many users removed/disabled the ATB

The lock nuts are 5 mm and try set the gun at 11ftlbs. Far more accurate at that power in 177

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    as with any mk1/mk2, they also benefit from throwing the piston weight away and replacing with delrin, along with an appropriately longer spring. less recoil and a fast action, but with very marginally increased cocking effort over factory spec.

ensure the large rear allen bolt that sets the sledge is unwound far enough (small adjustments), as it might be that caused the prevuious owner to apply excessive force at the end of the stroke, breaking the link.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

just might have had a oops moment replying if so my apologies.
    Thanks all for your time & insights, just a few notes in reply;

1) new nyloc nuts on the sledge; have loads but someone somewhere suggested an alternative
    type of nut but cant remember what it was

2) piston weight; though this was just on .177

3) preload washers; was fitted with 2 metal washers, me thinks abit much ??

3) Cocking effort; Ive read in numerous places about this, on stripping the working
    parts they were very dry, with no smooth movement so believe this was detrimental (nice word eh)
    to the smooth operation of the rifle

4) Old cocking lever & indent holder; Im keeping these as I can weld so will look at straightening
    it out slightly then TIG weld around the broken area. Nothing to loose & its supposed to be solid anyway

5) trigger operation; cant comment yet as Ive never fired it though again after reading around it sounds
    like it needs an experienced hand (thanks for the offer RD)

6) bear trap; seems fine, very slight wear on one of the notches but still catches, will leave alone

7) accuracy: '177 far more accurate', , I feel Ive been ripped off now
    As David said to the news reporter after killing Goliath 'if the pebbles dont work i just keep loading bigger
    stones'

cheers again all, julesy

lovely rifles they are

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Quote Originally Posted by julesy View Post
    just might have had a oops moment replying if so my apologies.
    Thanks all for your time & insights, just a few notes in reply;

1) new nyloc nuts on the sledge; have loads but someone somewhere suggested an alternative
    type of nut but cant remember what it was
    Aerotight nuts. they are more reliable after adjustment than nyloc.