Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hw 35

Hw 35

Hi, I have just ordered a HW35 in .22 calibre. I was wondering if the mainspring will have been correctly finished or would it have just been chopped. I obviously do not want to strip a brand new rifle but if anyone has any experience of a new official HW 35 spring I would appreciate your info. Many thanks. Allen.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLENMOORE View Post
    Hi, I have just ordered a HW35 in .22 calibre. I was wondering if the mainspring will have been correctly finished or would it have just been chopped. I obviously do not want to strip a brand new rifle but if anyone has any experience of a new official HW 35 spring I would appreciate your info. Many thanks. Allen.

It is tres important that you strip any new springer! If only to remove the shi'ite grease that is purely there to prevent corrosion on the shelf, and replace it with something that will prevent wear in use.

While you're in there you can check the spring and repair it if poorly finished, or replace it if it has an HW77 spring fitted which seems par for the course if you buy a (shockingly official) import.

It should be ok and you might be lucky and not get a twanger .

It’s best to at least remove the spring re grease and dress any sharp edges that might be present .

Hw35

Brought one of the stainless editions about 4 years ago. Right out the box it shot really nice. I might have dropped lucky, I'm not sure. Shoot it and if it's not twangy then leave it, if not open it up and order a TBT top hat and guide which will soon sort it for very little money. Mach 1.5

I haven't been tempted, personally, to have to strip a new rifle out of the box, so would go along with Paul's comments above. I can't remember seeing any recent posts indicating poorly cropped springs these days. Hopefully, that's a thing of the past?
    However, Monsieur Tinbum will have had more first hand experience in recent times as to the state of factory fresh guns, so that could tempt me to re-think........
    If you didn't particularly want to strip, but would feel more assured as regards lubrication (and if the rifle shoots nicely), I suppose you could do a "half way house" job by whipping the stock off and applying a small amount of moly grease to the coils and cylinder area behind the back of the piston using a narrow, plastic implement. Also a tiny smear along accessible contact areas of the cocking lever and slot, not forgetting the cocking shoe "horn" that locates into the piston slot. A little gun oil on the safety catch might not go amiss, either.
    Whichever route you take, enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hw 35 main spring.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I haven't been tempted, personally, to have to strip a new rifle out of the box, so would go along with Paul's comments above. I can't remember seeing any recent posts indicating poorly cropped springs these days. Hopefully, that's a thing of the past?
    However, Monsieur Tinbum will have had more first hand experience in recent times as to the state of factory fresh guns, so that could tempt me to re-think........
    If you didn't particularly want to strip, but would feel more assured as regards lubrication (and if the rifle shoots nicely), I suppose you could do a "half way house" job by whipping the stock off and applying a small amount of moly grease to the coils and cylinder area behind the back of the piston using a narrow, plastic implement. Also a tiny smear along accessible contact areas of the cocking lever and slot, not forgetting the cocking shoe "horn" that locates into the piston slot. A little gun oil on the safety catch might not go amiss, either.
    Whichever route you take, enjoy.
    Many thanks for your replies I appreciate it. As commented a cropped spring should be a thing of the past, I hope I’m lucky. What I will do is whip the spring out to check and carefully re grease and post my findings on here to finalise my query. It may be of interest to see what is offered by Weihrauch today. All the best. Allen.

Bought a new one in .177 2013/4. I got unlucky, even after being returned under g'tee it was still rough. Hardly use it. In contrast, bought an '80's .22 & it's a delight.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLENMOORE View Post
    Many thanks for your replies I appreciate it. As commented a cropped spring should be a thing of the past, I hope I’m lucky. What I will do is whip the spring out to check and carefully re grease and post my findings on here to finalise my query. It may be of interest to see what is offered by Weihrauch today. All the best. Allen.
    Yes, it would be very interesting to read your findings; thank you. And do enjoy that lovely rifle.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Bought a new one in .177 2013/4. I got unlucky, even after being returned under g'tee it was still rough. Hardly use it. In contrast, bought an '80's .22 & it's a delight.

ATB

Bru
    A quick, basic home fettle, such as described in the Useful Section and performed regularly by many enthusiasts, should see it shooting smoothly and providing the hugely satisfying 35 experience. Give it a go. Take your time, lavish a little bit of love and attention and this rifle will repay you in bucketloads.

I bought one new in late 70s shot well out the box about a year later I stripped clean and relubed all internal parts well finished......bought another new in early 2000s same shot well out the box but did not like the feel of the stock ....sold it and bought an old one

Hw35

In the process of restoring a 1996 HW35K. Which will be dropped into a HW thumbhole stock with a vglide piston, spring and guide etc as it's workings. Mach 1.5

That should be a bundle of loveliness, Paul.

A quick, basic home fettle, such as described in the Useful Section and performed regularly by many enthusiasts, should see it shooting smoothly and providing the hugely satisfying 35 experience. Give it a go. Take your time, lavish a little bit of love and attention and this rifle will repay you in bucketloads.
    I will, at some stage. The '80's .22 is lovely! The annoying thing about the .177 was that, for the 1st time in my life I bought a new gun, from a quality manufacturer, had to return to have it reworked, with only a slight improvement.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

What is it that you're not liking about it, Bru?

What is it that you're not liking about it, Bru?
    Inspired by your query, took the 35K out of of it's case for the 1st time in 18 months, put a few shots thru it.
    Easiest way to describe it? Loud & snappy is the best I can come up with. In contrast my .22 35 is quietish with gentle recoil.
    Did seem better than I remembered - will put some more pellets thru it.

ATB

Bru