Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bsa supersport custom

Bsa supersport custom

Does anyone have any info on these? I picked one up today and like it, has a breech bolt a nice 2 stage trigger and lightning style maxigrip rail with a higher cheek piece on the stock.

Twangs bad but fundamentals are all good and the trigger is very nice for a British rifle of the time it was made with zero creep.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Basically a break barrel Superstar, has the same style stock as a Superstar and the same trigger, really nice and highly underestimated rifle, if BSA had kept the spec and improved upon that model, then they may have had a bigger chunk of the break barrel market than they have now.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Basically a break barrel Superstar, has the same style stock as a Superstar and the same trigger, really nice and highly underestimated rifle, if BSA had kept the spec and improved upon that model, then they may have had a bigger chunk of the break barrel market than they have now.
    Yes I agree it's a nice rifle for sure, that makes sense about the trigger too as I've read the superstar had the better trigger and this is was better than any normal supersport I've used.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    Yes I agree it's a nice rifle for sure, that makes sense about the trigger too as I've read the superstar had the better trigger and this is was better than any normal supersport I've used.
    The trigger is definitely nicer, but it isn’t a real two-stage, just sprung movement before hitting the single stage we are all familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    The trigger is definitely nicer, but it isn’t a real two-stage, just sprung movement before hitting the single stage we are all familiar with.
    I guessed it would be like that, it is as good as you will get for that tho as most I've used have been creepy like the xocet/stingray or heavy but this is a good compromise for sure.

I guessed it would be like that, it is as good as you will get for that tho as most I've used have been creepy like the xocet/stingray or heavy but this is a good compromise for sure.
    I always thought the BSA springer triggers were better than they ought to be, given the simple construction. I can’t think of a BSA springer that had a Trust two stage, though I’d be the first to admit a limited knowledge of the Gamo and later rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    I always thought the BSA springer triggers were better than they ought to be, given the simple construction. I can’t think of a BSA springer that had a Trust two stage, though I’d be the first to admit a limited knowledge of the Gamo and later rifles.
    I have a lightning xl se and it's the same really, spring loaded first stage and and then a creepy single stage but it can be dialled out.

It is basically a Supersport with breech bolt, the maxigrip rail, and the later pseudo two stage trigger fitted to all the late supersports/lightnings etc.

The triggers on all these, and the Supersport, can be from mediocre to great depending on the rifle.
    With a little careful stoning they can usually all be made good.
    Too many airguns!

The trigger on mine is bloody nice, no creep and a lovely positive stop and then a very crisp let off.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    It is basically a Supersport with breech bolt, the maxigrip rail, and the later pseudo two stage trigger fitted to all the late supersports/lightnings etc.

The triggers on all these, and the Supersport, can be from mediocre to great depending on the rifle.
    With a little careful stoning they can usually all be made good.

So the later xl's must use this trigger then, I tried one in a shop and it had a fair bit of creep so like you say it must be pot luck.

The trigger on mine is bloody nice, no creep and a lovely positive stop and then a very crisp let off.
    Same here you would have to be picky to fault it that's for sure.

So the later xl's must use this trigger then, I tried one in a shop and it had a fair bit of creep so like you say it must be pot luck.
    Not the same trigger, I had an XL and although the trigger may seem the same the blade is different, the trigger blade was a stamping, the Customs trigger blade is alloy and has a nice feel about it, the XL reminds me of a Gamo unit but a hell of a lot better.

Not the same trigger, I had an XL and although the trigger may seem the same the blade is different, the trigger blade was a stamping, the Customs trigger blade is alloy and has a nice feel about it, the XL reminds me of a Gamo unit but a hell of a lot better.
    That makes sense the xl I tried definitely had a lot of creep before the release.

According to what I have observed, there are basically three versions of the supersport/lightning/superstar trigger:

-Early Supersport, with plastic trigger grip with no pseudo two stage. A variation of this was also used on the Meteor Mk5.

-The first pseudo two stage with machined aluminiuim trigger grip, used on some later Birmingham Supersports, Lightnings, Superstars and the Custom Supersport. I believe some of these were "gold" anodized, while most were black.

-The latest cast metal pseudo two stage trigger grip. This was more rounded than the machined aluminium version, and used on Birmingham guns and the early spanish made guns. Models I've seen the on are Supersports, XL lightnings, Supesport Tactical and XL Tactical.
    Too many airguns!

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    What breech bolt does it have?

Ive had what I thought was a supersport custom for over 30 years but it doesn't have any kind of bolt.
    Master Debater