Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 Calibre saves a lot of hassle discuss

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Wow, like cave man mentality. "Need big rock, smash puny creature". Accuracy is what kills period. Unless of course there is enough power to blow quarry up. I want to salvage and eat the rabbits I shoot, so clean head shots only.

.177 do produce smaller groups. Variation in slugs should be measured as a percentage and not a constant across calibres. The only constants are the range and the conditions. At 30+m my prems go through the same hole, how on earth can a larger calibre beat that., and they defo wont at 55.

Reason for FAC, produces flatter trajectory and can use body shot. 7.9 grain .177 is probably as flat if not flatter than a 16-20 gran .22 FAC, unless ridiculous power level but then accuracy wavers with pellets as they cant cope so ya switching to something hence just use a rim.
    Body shots, I haven't taken a body shot for years and never will again.
    I just don't get the "compromise" as .20 is not as flat and forgiving as .177 and those that believe in hitting power is a must, they don't hit as hard as .22. There go pointless. I'm not saying they wont do the job but they don't offer a big enough advantage over the other two calibres to warrant changing unless they become the new .177 in lead free.
    It's lucky that the cals don't just go 4mm 5mm 6mm 7mm otherwise what would be the point of the point

And would that point too . 20

If opinions were ammo and loaded in a barrel some would get very choked
    Hw77+7

Had .20 shame pellets are so expensive and not much choice . Personally for me it was to much hassle with pellets and just did not see the point in it when I can pick up .22 and .177 ...
    Each to their own and it's good to be different..

Quote Originally Posted by prosport.177 View Post
    Had .20 shame pellets are so expensive and not much choice . Personally for me it was to much hassle with pellets and just did not see the point in it when I can pick up .22 and .177 ...
    Each to their own and it's good to be different..

So expensive - compared to what ?

https://www.uttings.co.uk/c1006-177-pellets/brand=jsb/

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p103636-ha...-250-hnftt20p/
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Exactly, negative comments with no basis in fact.

Come on "cave man", I never said I was a perfect shot, I do hold my own though. I pretty much hunt on my own now, unless I go out with the old man, who is 78 and still believes in .177. Mainly because I seen too many shooters "wound" or "eventually die" after they have run or flew for a while. I don't like it so its "head shots are us" club for me on all prey.
    I know my abilities and my limits, I don't switch from calibre and only shoot 2x sub 12 air rifles now, which luckily both love the prem. No FAC at all. I know this kit inside out. The few .20 rifles I have used are not as accurate as mine and don't fly as flat as the prem .177, so they lose out on 2 accounts there. I put down to the calibre and not the rifles, so why bother. I used .22 for years along side .177 but past 40 yards it is a nightmare getting the range yard perfect for .22. Up to 40 yards is fine probably of all calibres if the kit can produce the accuracy required, but for me the do it all and therefore the best sub 12 calibre is .177.
    I on the other hand vary the calibre to suit the situation, .20, .22, .25, FAC .25, .22lr, .17WSM, .243.
    I used to shoot .177 but found it had the poorest results with far too many runners, in addition at close range the pellets go straight through, thus wasting most of their energy & risking damage to anything behind.
    I have zero interest in paper punching, so stopped using it altogether.
    I use a LRF so ranging isn't an issue, & 9/10 use quad sticks or bipod to steady myself.

My MFR .20 with FTT's is without doubt the most accurate sub 12 rifle I have ever had, but if I think something else will better suit on the day, I'll choose a different tool (a gun simply being a tool to do a job)
    I struggle to understand why people think 1 gun can do it all, if they have the option of something better suited, so to me, .177 belongs on the target range, not in the field.

Personal opinion is one thing, but most anti .20 sentiment simply has no basis in fact, or practical experience.
    Last edited by angrybear; 07-02-2023 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    Try the jsb heavy in 20cal. If you need any al send you some.
    Oh I bought ten tins lol..splendid combination

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I on the other hand vary the calibre to suit the situation, .20, .22, .25, FAC .25, .22lr, .17WSM, .243.
    I used to shoot .177 but found it had the poorest results with far too many runners, in addition at close range the pellets go straight through, thus wasting most of their energy & risking damage to anything behind.
    I have zero interest in paper punching, so stopped using it altogether.
    I use a LRF so ranging isn't an issue, & 9/10 use quad sticks or bipod to steady myself.

My MFR .20 with FTT's is without doubt the most accurate sub 12 rifle I have ever had, but if I think something else will better suit on the day, I'll choose a different tool (a gun simply being a tool to do a job)
    I struggle to understand why people think 1 gun can do it all, if they have the option of something better suited, so to me, .177 belongs on the target range, not in the field.

Personal opinion is one thing, but most anti .20 sentiment simply has no basis in fact, or practical experience.
    Not really anti .20, I just don't see the point as they don't fly as flat, or hit as hard and generally they are the two reasons for choosing either .177 or .22.
    Bet you have note pads and drawings of different trajectories and either aim points or adjustments on scope for every rig.
    Carrying all that kit sounds slow, laborious and tedious.
    I take my rifle, and I know every adjustment as its all I use. Like instinct or auto pilot. By the time you set yourself up, get comfy, range the quarry, adjust or settle with an aim point Id have shot half a dozen rabbits. What do you do when your quarry moves, range again and again and again, or if you have a .22 or .25 and quarry goes out to 40m+.
    .177 out to 50-55 is all ya need, whether it be airgun quarry or FT/HFT, it does it all and well. Runners with a .177, ya missing a vital period, bigger pellet and more power doesn't help, you still missed a vital, = wounded animal. Maybe not for long but still suffering. Shame we aren't closer to each other, then I could show you first hand how clinical my rig is, like I have done many times before.
    Tools should go .177, .22LR or .17HMR, .243.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Not really anti .20, I just don't see the point as they don't fly as flat, or hit as hard and generally they are the two reasons for choosing either .177 or .22.
    Bet you have note pads and drawings of different trajectories and either aim points or adjustments on scope for every rig.
    I take my rifle, and I know every adjustment as its all I use. Like instinct or auto pilot. By the time you set yourself up, get comfy, range the quarry, adjust or settle with an aim point Id have shot half a dozen rabbits. What do you do when your quarry moves, range again and again and again, or if you have a .22 or .25 and quarry goes out to 40m+.
    .177 out to 50-55 is all ya need, whether it be airgun quarry or FT/HFT, it does it all and well. Runners with a .177, ya missing a vital period, bigger pellet and more power doesn't help, you still missed a vital, = wounded animal. Maybe not for long but still suffering. Shame we aren't closer to each other, then I could show you first hand how clinical my rig is, like I have done many times before.

.20 -
    As well as being the best all round Uk power caliber it saves so much hassle
    You can set a springer at 11.4 with FTT and a pcp same with jsb and not have to worry some new silly super pellet will send velocity all over the shop.
    All you need is one good accurate dome head anyway which those two always are :

Discuss -

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    .20 -
    You can set a springer at 11.4 with FTT and a pcp same with jsb and not have to worry some new silly super pellet will send velocity all over the shop.

Discuss -
    Errr No.
    VAYA CON DIOS

It's not coming across that way at all What an odd statement, they don't fly flat or hit hard

You seem intent on derailing this thread

Every calibre has it's own merits yet you can't see pass your own point of view which is very narrow @ only .177
    Hw77+7

The point is, it's like choosing either one, but coupled with most of the benefits of the other included, not being able to understand that is typical "HFT/competition mentality"

NO
    So what ? I'm not in a race

So do I most of the time, if the quarry moves I might stalk a bit closer or I might adjust the POA,
    If it moves a long way, I just don't take the shot, because it's not a competition I don't have to try & hit everything I see !

.177 out to 50-55 is all ya need, whether it be airgun quarry or FT/HFT, it does it all and well.
    There's that, 'I must take the shot' HFT/competition mentality again, just because you can doesn't mean you should, 50-55yds is beyond sensible sub12 hunting range, far too much can effect the shot, stalk closer.

Runners with a .177, ya missing a vital period, bigger pellet and more power doesn't help, you still missed a vital, = wounded animal. Maybe not for long but still suffering. Shame we aren't closer to each other, then I could show you first hand how clinical my rig is, like I have done many times before.
    Bigger pellet/more impact energy does help, as does a larger surface area which transfers more terminal energy to the prey,

Why, when there are tools to fill the gaps ?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    .20 -

Discuss -
    I was wondering when did the .20 airgun pellet first start and has its popularity grown over the years and is still growing as shooters get to use it?

I think Benjamin first popularised it in USA _

Guntrader has half the amount of rifles in 20 cal they often have, and the fact they are so rare second hand seems to suggest they must be increasing overall - year on year I imagine

I remember when Theoben did their experiments championing 20 cal too, in their early heyday. More energy retention downrange etc, nearly as flat as 177 at hunting ranges, nearly as big a hole as 22 .......

The increased quality of pellet manufacture of recent years has really helped all airgun calibres.

I'm not sure if HW make their own 20 cal barrels now, I'm sure at one stage they were bought in. I certainly had Anchutz barrelled Theobens in 177 that got leaded up fast and could have made me conclude 177 or Theobens were crap , if I was not more knowledgeable _

I wonder how much some poor barrels earlier on in UK 20 cal history have left shooters with an incorrect impression that's out of step with current situation _ or the reviews in magazines
    Magazines which rely on advertisers, many of whom do not make airguns in 20 calibre _

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I think Benjamin first popularised it in USA _

Guntrader has half the amount of rifles in 20 cal they often have, and the fact they are so rare second hand seems to suggest they must be increasing overall - year on year I imagine

I remember when Theoben did their experiments championing 20 cal too, in their early heyday. More energy retention downrange etc, nearly as flat as 177 at hunting ranges, nearly as big a hole as 22 .......

The increased quality of pellet manufacture of recent years has really helped all airgun calibres.

I'm not sure if HW make their own 20 cal barrels now, I'm sure at one stage they were bought in. I certainly had Anchutz barrelled Theobens in 177 that got leaded up fast and could have made me conclude 177 or Theobens were crap , if I was not more knowledgeable _

I wonder how much some poor barrels earlier on in UK 20 cal history have left shooters with an incorrect impression that's out of step with current situation _ or the reviews in magazines
    Magazines which rely on advertisers, many of whom do not make airguns in 20 calibre _
    Diana used to make .20 guns but I don't think they have for some time now; I would like a .20 HW80 barrel old type

Quote Originally Posted by HW777 View Post
    It's not coming across that way at all What an odd statement, they don't fly flat or hit hard
    they don't fly as flat, or hit as hard and generally they are the two reasons for choosing either .177 or .22.

You seem intent on derailing this thread
    No not in the slightest, this thread, just like the "what power level to set your rifle at" is interesting. Much better than numerous what ya favourite colour threads.

Every calibre has it's own merits yet you can't see pass your own point of view which is very narrow @ only .177
    I can see past .177, have used all calibres and FAC air. Like Mr Bear says it could be HFT mentality, but my opinion is also based on a lot of experience. I have also said many times HFT and FT is a hunting simulation competition. Go take your .20,.22 and .25 and see how you get on. Every plate you hit is a wounded animal!!
    I could do all my shooting with any of the other calibres, but it wouldn't be as easy as with .177, and that is my main point, .177 sub 12 is the easiest to get on with and achieve good results so surely this makes it the best calibre sub 12.
    VAYA CON DIOS