Thread: 20 Calibre saves a lot of hassle discuss

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

20 Calibre saves a lot of hassle discuss

.20 -
    As well as being the best all round Uk power caliber it saves so much hassle
    You can set a springer at 11.4 with FTT and a pcp same with jsb and not have to worry some new silly super pellet will send velocity all over the shop.
    All you need is one good accurate dome head anyway which those two always are :

Discuss -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Do you get hassle a lot ?!
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Discuss -
    Is that an invitation, a request, or an instruction?

Well my Rapid shoots FTT at a higher ME than JSB, but I do agree with the sentiment.

I would certainly disagree with it being the 'best' UK calibre. With the selection of pellet weights now available in .177 and .22, I would say it's obsolete.

It is a shame the Bisley Superfield is no longer around as this was a brilliant .20 pellet.

While my 97 .20 is superbly accurate it does prefer the HW branded JSB which at a smidge over 13 grains puts them into .22 territory.

I'm a fan of the calibre but agree, it could be obsolete.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    best UK sub 12 springer hunting calibre
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by R0B View Post
    I would certainly disagree with it being the 'best' UK calibre. With the selection of pellet weights now available in .177 and .22, I would say it's obsolete.
    While I agree with the first part of your statement, it doesn't follow that any of the pellet weights in the .20 ball park are any good for your particular rifle.

Similarly the OP seems to be alluding to the lack of choice being an advantage, which kind of fails miserably when the manufacturer of your preferred pellet either drops production of it or changes it.
    Dies don't last forever and I'll bet there's less incentive for them to replace them when quality starts to fall off vs when they have to.

Gets out popcorn .......

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    .20 -
    As well as being the best all round Uk power caliber it saves so much hassle
    You can set a springer at 11.4 with FTT and a pcp same with jsb and not have to worry some new silly super pellet will send velocity all over the shop.
    All you need is one good accurate dome head anyway which those two always are :

Discuss -
    I was wondering when did the .20 airgun pellet first start and has its popularity grown over the years and is still growing as shooters get to use it?

I think Benjamin first popularised it in USA _

Guntrader has half the amount of rifles in 20 cal they often have, and the fact they are so rare second hand seems to suggest they must be increasing overall - year on year I imagine

I remember when Theoben did their experiments championing 20 cal too, in their early heyday. More energy retention downrange etc, nearly as flat as 177 at hunting ranges, nearly as big a hole as 22 .......

The increased quality of pellet manufacture of recent years has really helped all airgun calibres.

I'm not sure if HW make their own 20 cal barrels now, I'm sure at one stage they were bought in. I certainly had Anchutz barrelled Theobens in 177 that got leaded up fast and could have made me conclude 177 or Theobens were crap , if I was not more knowledgeable _

I wonder how much some poor barrels earlier on in UK 20 cal history have left shooters with an incorrect impression that's out of step with current situation _ or the reviews in magazines
    Magazines which rely on advertisers, many of whom do not make airguns in 20 calibre _

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I think Benjamin first popularised it in USA _

Guntrader has half the amount of rifles in 20 cal they often have, and the fact they are so rare second hand seems to suggest they must be increasing overall - year on year I imagine

I remember when Theoben did their experiments championing 20 cal too, in their early heyday. More energy retention downrange etc, nearly as flat as 177 at hunting ranges, nearly as big a hole as 22 .......

The increased quality of pellet manufacture of recent years has really helped all airgun calibres.

I'm not sure if HW make their own 20 cal barrels now, I'm sure at one stage they were bought in. I certainly had Anchutz barrelled Theobens in 177 that got leaded up fast and could have made me conclude 177 or Theobens were crap , if I was not more knowledgeable _

I wonder how much some poor barrels earlier on in UK 20 cal history have left shooters with an incorrect impression that's out of step with current situation _ or the reviews in magazines
    Magazines which rely on advertisers, many of whom do not make airguns in 20 calibre _
    Diana used to make .20 guns but I don't think they have for some time now; I would like a .20 HW80 barrel old type

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Diana used to make .20 guns but I don't think they have for some time now; I would like a .20 HW80 barrel old type
    On 20 cal I've found the star nut barrels to be spot on, which did worry me a bit too